The 'background check'

Sasho

What do they exactlly check? I've gotten checks for airlines before. I assume this is more intense but what exactlly do they check

They do check your credit...make sure you don't have some major debts you aren't paying on and such. They also make sure you aren't a terrorist or have terrorist ties. They check and make sure you haven't lied about DUI's or DWI's or warrants or stuff. Just that kind of stuff. They want to make sure that when you get your security clearance you won't be willing to sell or trade sensitive information for money and such.

They basically check everything.

you must provide the following information for the last 7 years (10 years for higher security clearance levels): addresses of all of your residences, with contact information requested for someone who knew you at the addresses for the last 5 years; employers’ contact information with details of any negative employment record including terminations or voluntary separation; use of illegal drugs; bankruptcy filing, or financial delinquency of more than 180 days; and foreign countries you have visited. Police record must also be disclosed including felonies, offenses related to drugs and/or alcohol and any traffic offenses which incurred fines of more than $150. Finally, information regarding close relatives; marital status including contact information for your current and (if applicable) former spouse; and any financial obligations for which you are currently 90 days or more overdue. In addition, the SF86 form also asks for alcohol-related treatment or counseling received during the past 7 years and public civil actions in which you have been a party for the last 7 years.

They do check your credit...make sure you don't have some major debts you aren't paying on and such. They also make sure you aren't a terrorist or have terrorist ties. They check and make sure you haven't lied about DUI's or DWI's or warrants or stuff. Just that kind of stuff. They want to make sure that when you get your security clearance you won't be willing to sell or trade sensitive information for money and such.

So they won't hire someone with a bankruptcy on their credit report?

It's not an automatic disqualifier. It will depend on the specific circumstances of the bankruptcy and all the details surrounding it. The most important thing is to be 100% truthful about everything. As far as I know they use the 'whole person' concept so one or two issues won't necessarily be grounds to deny someone a clearance.

So they won't hire someone with a bankruptcy on their credit report?
It could prevent you from getting the job. It could also not be an issue. Depends on how the person actually got to bankruptcy. There are very few single things that will automatically disqualify someone. As mentioned they use the whole person concept, meaning that take a look at ALL your previous actions. If there is an undesireable pattern to your actions you'll certainly be denied clearance.

It could prevent you from getting the job. It could also not be an issue. Depends on how the person actually got to bankruptcy. There are very few single things that will automatically disqualify someone. As mentioned they use the whole person concept, meaning that take a look at ALL your previous actions. If there is an undesireable pattern to your actions you'll certainly be denied clearance.

So basically if you're a person of good moral character and choices but there were some financial problems you had you should be alright? I mean i've gotten jobs with security information before *meaning in the airline industry*

I am so glad you posted this thread... I was curious about the whole bankruptcy thing. I'm in the middle of filing. My husband has been laid off since last september.

I am so glad you posted this thread... I was curious about the whole bankruptcy thing. I'm in the middle of filing. My husband has been laid off since last september.

I ask because i'm considering filing, its not that i have alot of debt persay, its that with the current job i have, i'd not be able to pay it off in time, course if i got the ATC position i'd be able to pay it all off within 2 to 3 years if i made arrangements, but currently i can't, wondering if i should wait and get the job and not have to file or file, hence me not wanting to risk the job

What do they mean by "volunary separation?" As in, if you quit a job, that's considered negative history?

I don't think the voluntary seperation is considered negative, just that they want ALL instances listed as to why you are no longer employed there. The only way I would see this as being negative is if you have a history of job hopping. That could be a problem.

I ask because i'm considering filing, its not that i have alot of debt persay, its that with the current job i have, i'd not be able to pay it off in time, course if i got the ATC position i'd be able to pay it all off within 2 to 3 years if i made arrangements, but currently i can't, wondering if i should wait and get the job and not have to file or file, hence me not wanting to risk the job

If you can hold off I would. I remember something earlier about an open bankruptcy that was just filed and the person had to wait. Can't remember it all...trying doing the search on it.

Although, an open bankruptcy looks a LOT better than a debt that is going unpaid. A debt that is going unpaid is frowned upon a LOT more...they want to see that you are paying your debt or at least taking action with all debts. Basically that you hold true to what you are accountable for!

Hope that helps!!!

What if you was arrested and then all charges were dropped, and taken off your record, do you still have to list that? I'm sure even if it has been expunged off the record, im sure there are still ways to find out??

What if you was arrested and then all charges were dropped, and taken off your record, do you still have to list that? I'm sure even if it has been expunged off the record, im sure there are still ways to find out??

Even if something was expunged, there is still record of the event. Even if all charges were dropped, you still have to list the arrest because they will find out about it. Granted, you may look a lot better when they see you were arrested and all the charges were dropped. Just be very truthful about it. Sometimes, having stuff on your record will be more of a problem for the medical clearance than the security. I have heard some stories about guys getting through the security part fine, only to be denied by the flight doc. I had a couple "stains" on my record that I was very open about and it turned out to not be a problem. PM me if you need any info about the security check. I had to jump through several hoops so I may be able to provide some info.

It was just dumb, I got arrested at a football game, from what my attorney told me, expunged was taking it off my record. I have had background checks amd an FBI check recently from my employer and it never showed up on that.

I am schuduled to take the at-sat test Oct 6th in Moon, does everyone get offerred to take the test when they apply, just wondering because both my brothers are taking it too.

As long as you meet the requirements (long enough job history, schooling or combination) you are given the thumbs up to take the test.

It was just dumb, I got arrested at a football game, from what my attorney told me, expunged was taking it off my record. I have had background checks amd an FBI check recently from my employer and it never showed up on that.

It might not show up on your run of the mill background check, but they for sure (100% positive) show up on government/military security clearance background checks.

Back