The 'background check'

Is that something that could hurt potential job oppertunity?

Sure it COULD hurt...but it doesn't mean it will - it all depends on the specific circumstances. My current job stressed the importance to us to notify them immediately of any legal/financial/personal issues or changes in our background.

I wasted no time in notifying them of the issues I ran into and they told me it definitely helped with the adjudication of my Top Secret clearance. Be honest, courteous and absolutely willing to provide any/all details they ask for (they may not require as much detail for a Secret or Confidential/Public Trust Clearance) - it will help prove that you aren't trying to be anything less than truthful or cover anything up.

The Security clearance is actually easier to get than the Medical clearance. I had several issues in my situation and was worried about not being able to get a security clearance. In the end, it all worked out and I just received my FOL recently. It did prolong the process and I even had to go see a FAA special agent for an Interview-at the request of the Flight Surgeon.

I had 1 misdemeanor arrest from 9 years ago, about 3 collections, and had been fired from 2 jobs. But all of these issues were from when I was 20-22 years old. I have been steadily employed for the last 6 years, no criminal or financial problems in that timeframe...and a clean driving record. So, they looked at the 'whole person' and must have decided that I had made good changes in my early adult life and was suitable for employment.

As long as you tell them everything...even juvenile or expunged incidents...they will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I had 1 misdemeanor arrest from 9 years ago, about 3 collections, and had been fired from 2 jobs. But all of these issues were from when I was 20-22 years old. I have been steadily employed for the last 6 years, no criminal or financial problems in that timeframe...and a clean driving record. So, they looked at the 'whole person' and must have decided that I had made good changes in my early adult life and was suitable for employment.

As long as you tell them everything...even juvenile or expunged incidents...they will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Did you still have to inform them of your misdemeanor even though it was older than 7 years?

So I have a misdemeanor, which I was just written a ticket for. (Aparantly its illegal to urinate in your back yard.) any way I plead not guilty and have a trial pending. I Wasn't arrested, just given a ticket. Any thoughts on this??
You need to report it on the background check.

Did you still have to inform them of your misdemeanor even though it was older than 7 years?

En Route option makes you report back to 10 years. On the Medical Form, there's a question that asks if you have any criminal history excluding traffic tickets, ever...so you have to report everything anyways. If not on the security clearance, then definitely on the medical clearance side of things. If you ask me, getting a medical clearance seems harder than a security one.

Nonetheless, if you don't have a pattern of misconduct, isolated misdemeanor(s) should not be an issue so long as you inform them and explain yourself.

Back