The 'background check'

You got really slim chases if you had a history of illegal drug use, or recent DUI.

Not necessarily true. I got a DUI only a few short months before my PEPC and I'm fully cleared and waiting for a class date. The most important thing is to be completely up front and honest about every little detail on your security and medical clearance applications.

It was just dumb, I got arrested at a football game, from what my attorney told me, expunged was taking it off my record. I have had background checks amd an FBI check recently from my employer and it never showed up on that.

I am schuduled to take the at-sat test Oct 6th in Moon, does everyone get offerred to take the test when they apply, just wondering because both my brothers are taking it too.

The "FBI Check" that airlines, and other private companies is not the same as a suitability investigation done by the office of personnel management. They can see EVERYTHING.

Expunged or what ever, matters not, list it.

I guarantee if you do not list it, they will find out and find you unsuitable for employment for falsification of the SF86. At least if you list it, there is a GOOD chance it will not effect your suitability determination.

It was just dumb, I got arrested at a football game, from what my attorney told me, expunged was taking it off my record. I have had background checks amd an FBI check recently from my employer and it never showed up on that.

I am schuduled to take the at-sat test Oct 6th in Moon, does everyone get offerred to take the test when they apply, just wondering because both my brothers are taking it too.

You were not convicted right? Then it never happened. No Nolo Contendre? PPJ? Nothing? Getting arrested is one thing, but innocent people don't have to defend themselves. They may ask about arrests however, and you should for the sake of being honest, disclose what you know, but make it clear you were NOT convicted.

You were not convicted right? Then it never happened. No Nolo Contendre? PPJ? Nothing? Getting arrested is one thing, but innocent people don't have to defend themselves. They may ask about arrests however, and you should for the sake of being honest, disclose what you know, but make it clear you were NOT convicted.

They do ask about arrests. So no matter what pretenses you were arrested under or what the outcome was, it must be listed. No matter how innocent you were later proven or if it was dropped the next day with no charges pressed, they will know about it. ANY FALSIFICATION will be instant disqualification. If you have to stop and think about whether or not to list something, just list it. They will know about it one way or another anyway.

I'm surprised nobody has touched on this fact yet. You only have to go through the thorough financial information for en-route jobs. Terminal jobs don't require a Secret clearance and are subject to only a general background check. Just sayin'.

I'm surprised nobody has touched on this fact yet. You only have to go through the thorough financial information for en-route jobs. Terminal jobs don't require a Secret clearance and are subject to only a general background check. Just sayin'.

This could be true. I was selected for en-route so I do not know about the other process. En-route has to complete the SF-86 which is used for the Secret clearance. I do not know what terminal has to fill out. If I caused any confusion over this, I apologize.

I am a Terminal guy, so I can't speak towards the en-route requirements with any degree of certainty, but I think what he is referring to is the disclosure of all investments and account balances, etc. I am pretty sure this is only necessary for en-route applicants and listed on the sf-86 form that they fill out as part of the OPM background check.

With the terminal positions the form is the SF-85p, Person in a position of public turst, not a secret clearance. For financial stuff I believe the 85p is limited to just pulling your credit history/score compared to the 86 where you have to list account balances and investments, but I may be mistaken. Can anyone confirm or deny?

My understanding is the SF-85p is slightly less detailed than the 86 because the clearance is one level lower and they don't require all the additional financial info.

So........ no credit check if i apply for terminal positions?:confused:

There is an initial credit check that they complete to start with. I am under the impression that Terminal folks are either "deemed acceptible" or "deemed unacceptable" based on the info you provide in the SF-85 and your credit check. (That terminology was actually used in a phone conversation I had with a woman at AGL security). En-Route people need to have security clearance, hence the SF-86 that they fill out, which needs to be renewed regularly.

Just a quick note....

Depending on which terminal facility you go to, you may have to do the SF-86 anyways. I originally filled out the 85, but then got an e-mail a few days later saying that people going to my facility had to do the 86. Everyone in my Basics class also had to do the 86, and we were all going to Tracons, which are terminal facilities. We are all going to Tracons that deal with a lot of military aircraft, though, so I imagine that is why we do the 86.

Just a quick note....

Depending on which terminal facility you go to, you may have to do the SF-86 anyways. I originally filled out the 85, but then got an e-mail a few days later saying that people going to my facility had to do the 86. Everyone in my Basics class also had to do the 86, and we were all going to Tracons, which are terminal facilities. We are all going to Tracons that deal with a lot of military aircraft, though, so I imagine that is why we do the 86.

Hey, i checked out your blog from your signature; verrrry nice :rawk:

how bout if someone gets a misdemeanor after all the background checks are done?

I believe it needs to be reported and documented with the security office that keeps track of the clearances...

I'm pretty sure secret clearances are good for 10 years

This could be true. I was selected for en-route so I do not know about the other process. En-route has to complete the SF-86 which is used for the Secret clearance. I do not know what terminal has to fill out. If I caused any confusion over this, I apologize.

I thought EVERYONE filled out an SF-86?

I know a couple terminal (tower controllers) and they all filled out the SF-86 and received secret clearances.

I know my secret clearance in the military is good for 10 years, but they make us renew them every 7. I guess they just like building a buffer in there.

I thought EVERYONE filled out an SF-86?

I know a couple terminal (tower controllers) and they all filled out the SF-86 and received secret clearances.

Nope, it seems that TRACON and ENROUTE folks have to do the SF-86 and Terminal folks do the SF-85. I guess some terminals are case by case on whether they require a secret clearance but it's my understanding that the majority of the Terminal facilities only require the 85.

Back