Thank you!!!

:yeahthat:

I agree. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't efficient enough to get some more into my topic. I only got out the cons of the job.

I would have really liked to have gotten the pro's of the job and give an idea of the daily operations of the scheduled compared to the charted side.

And no we don't sleep in airplanes Kristie. Thats a freight urban myth. :)

Oh well maybe next year!:)

ok, so next year... smaller roundtable sessions. thing with smaller roundtable sessions is that we need to figure out what people want to hear and how many would be attracted to the subject.

it's hard to fit everything in without having an overlapping schedule.

So, Kelvin, are you saying you want to have your own roundtable session talking about freight urban myths? ;) (just kiddin' you maing) :D

So, Kelvin, are you saying you want to have your own roundtable session talking about freight urban myths? ;) (just kiddin' you maing) :D

Oh yeah! While we're bustin' myths. I don't know any freight pilot that goes to sleep and uses the VOR to wake him up when he's getting close. I usually tell the controller I'm taking a nap and to wake me when I get over said fix!:sarcasm::D

Don't know if this has thrown out there, but.......

How about next year in D.C.??

The only downside to DC is that it is spendy. You're going to want a hotel in downtown DC and those are not cheap. You'll pay around $100 a night for a cheap place.

I'm pretty sure the subway in DC covers most of the spots we'd want to hit.

Not really. Want to go to Udvar-Hazy? That's a 30-45 minute drive and the Metro doesn't go there. You'll have to cab it, which would run you about $60.

The Metro also doesn't go to Georgetown or Adams Morgan. Well, it kind of does, but it's a 15-20 minute walk to either place.

Stick with Vegas, folks. Stick with it.

No idea what the first place you're referring to is. :buck:
I was talking about the Smithsonian, and other points of interest in DC, though. You're from those parts and obviously know better than the rest of us, so thanks for the info. :)

The only downside to DC is that it is spendy. You're going to want a hotel in downtown DC and those are not cheap. You'll pay around $100 a night for a cheap place.
We won't have to stay in downtown D.C. We can stay in Georgetown which is EASY walking distance to the Metro.... or GW (Metro goes right through GW). Sure there won't be hotels for $30 a night, but if we book in advance, we can easily stay well under $100 a night.

A quick search on Travelocity for hotels with rates between $60-120/night yeilded 43 results...one of which is located on Capitol Hill right by the Mall for only $89/night:

Washington DC: Capitol Hill
Washington, DC

Travelocity Rating

7 Reviews

The Best Western Capitol Skyline is conveniently located by Washington DC area attractions including the US Capitol, National Mall, Smithsonian Institute and the Navy Yard. Travelers will be within 4 miles of DCA (Reagan National Airport)
Hotel details | Amenities

gb_tag_noLRG.gif

$89
avg. per night

Classic Cityview with 2 Double Beds
Select

Use MasterCard® and SAVE!

TonyW said:
Not really. Want to go to Udvar-Hazy? That's a 30-45 minute drive and the Metro doesn't go there. You'll have to cab it, which would run you about $60.
2 Words: Hotel Shuttle.

TonyW said:
The Metro also doesn't go to Georgetown or Adams Morgan. Well, it kind of does, but it's a 15-20 minute walk to either place.
Aaaaaaand....there's no walking in Vegas??? :D Hell, brotha, it took you and me about 30 minutes to walk from NYNY to In-and-Out. :p

The walk to Georgetown to the Metro is NUTHIN' compared to walking through the MGM at Mach-speed behind the Bee! :nana2:

TonyW said:
Stick with Vegas, folks. Stick with it.
...which I'm okay with, but I think D.C. would be much more relevant and interesting on an intellecutal level.

I'm sure there are conference rooms at the Smithsonian Aeorspace Museum as well.

Anyhoo.....D.C. would be my first choice with Vegas a close second.

Stan

D.C. I might be able to get the missus interested. Vegas - not happenin'.
That may be another reason why some folks don't attend.....Vegas and it's rep as purely a party town ("Sin City" and all that).

I think Vegas is fun. It has it's merits.....but it basically is what it is - purely a party town....and activities that take place there - be they on a professional level (like NWJC) or otherwise - are viewed with a raised eyebrow.

D.C. might lend a tad more credibility to a NWJC event.

I can tell you that when I tell my friends who are outside aviation that I am going to Vegas for a pilot networking event, they say (almost to the person) "Oh sure....networking.....riiiiight. A bunch of drunk pilots...go figure."

One friend said "A group of pilots in Vegas.....good Lord! Lock of your daughters and wives!"

While I found the comment funny, it does make a point.

Just a thought.

Stan

if we book in advance, we can easily stay well under $100 a night.

...which I'm okay with, but I think D.C. would be much more relevant and interesting on an intellecutal level.

I'm sure there are conference rooms at the Smithsonian Aeorspace Museum as well.
Want to call and find out what they charge for the conference rooms at the Smithsonian? i wonder if they have food/beverage too....i can't imagine them being inexpensive to reserve. :eek: but maybe if we were able to get some sponsors this year, it would help.

and well, i hate to do this...but i just can't keep in the giggles...."book in advance" just makes me laugh because essentially, it doesn't happen. not even when we book vegas hotels.

Let's keep it as realz as we can get....I'm going to start with booking 20 rooms and if we need more after that, i'll add them but i know those rooms won't be gobbled up until maybe a month before NJC, like always. :D

I do agree that DC has a lot more knowledge relevance than vegas does and this may be a good time to split up the knowledge from the party events.

for looking at hotels, i'd like to make sure we're as close to a metro station as possible....and we'd have to see if they have a hotel shuttle or if even the Udvar-Hazy museum has a shuttle we can use to get there/back.

Just for Udbar-Hazy Reference. It's a long day to see most of it.

I've been thrice. The first time didn't count since everything was in a quonset hut, and the building wasn't built yet.

The second time, had a long DC overnight, my pops came down to DCA and we took the tour. All day. We didn't even really get a chance to get a good look at most of the stuff, just cause there is soo much great stuff in there. Most of it was a quick glance, maybe read a placard and move on. Just a quick break for lunch.

The last time I was there, again, all day, and got caught up on what I missed and wanted to see the first time. And since they added a lot of stuff since I was in the first time, I still didn't get to take all the time I wanted.

Just a warning on that....but I'd even go so far as to say it's worth a trip just to see it.

...or we could always do Dayton to see Wright-Patt and crash at BobDDuck's. ;)

so technically, the tours might include a full day at Udvar-Hazy... a full day at the Smithsonian flight museum and a 2 hr or so DC Tower tour? Any other tours we need to think of as far as DC is concerned?

altho i wonder about even the possiblity of getting a tower tour in DC considering security and all.. I'll ask the ATC guys.

Fun fact: The National Air and Space Museum is just catty-corner across the street from the FAA.

It gives one pause. :rolleyes:

destroyer.jpg

I do agree that DC has a lot more knowledge relevance than vegas does and this may be a good time to split up the knowledge from the party events.

for looking at hotels, i'd like to make sure we're as close to a metro station as possible....and we'd have to see if they have a hotel shuttle or if even the Udvar-Hazy museum has a shuttle we can use to get there/back.

I'm really digging the idea of a DC NJC. The options for aviation related events are endless. Maybe we could get an ALPA official to speak since the office is not far away.

As for the shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy Museum I seem to remember that there was a shuttle that left from the downtown Air and Space museum. I could be wrong.

Some research via google and Wiki produced this...

from wikipedia...

"While it is possible to get to Udvar-Hazy from the National Air & Space Museum using mass transit, there is no direct transit route on either the DC-based Metro Rail or bus system to the museum. Visitors wishing to take mass transit to Udvar-Hazy from downtown DC should take Metro Bus #5A to Dulles Airport ($3.10), then catch the Virginia Regional Transit shuttle bus to the museum ($0.50). The entire commute takes approximately 80 minutes. Shuttle service directly from the National Air & Space museum on the National Mall to the Udvar-Hazy Center was discontinued in 2006. The National Air & Space Museum has a flier available to patrons with shuttle bus schedules and bus & route information."

I'm really digging the idea of a DC NJC. The options for aviation related events are endless. Maybe we could get an ALPA official to speak since the office is not far away.

As for the shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy Museum I seem to remember that there was a shuttle that left from the downtown Air and Space museum. I could be wrong.
I'm warming to the idea as well. Heck we could even go to ALPA HQ! They got rid of the shuttle between the NASM on the mall and the Dulles facility. There is soooooo much aviation stuff there. There'e NASA, the FAA, ALPA, free museums, heck even the zoo is free! All day passes on the Metro are pretty cheap. Kristie, I'll can do a little research, if you need the help. Another good thing about DC is that pretty much most mainline and regional carriers go in and out of DCA, IAD, and BWI, that there is a plethura of crew hotels.

The Udvar-Hazy Museum would be an awesome option , but having lived in D.C. for a very long summer, I didn't get to see everything.... on the MALL. So, the Udvar-Hazy Museum could be something we could do IF possible.

I'd be glad to call the Smithsonian to see about reserving a conference room. I'll do that tomorrow.

Just did a quick search of their site, and I see no conference rooms, so that may not even be an option. However, I'll call tomorrow and see what's available nearby.

As for how to get to the Udvar-Hazy Museum, I found this: Visitors wishing to take mass transit to Udvar-Hazy from downtown DC should take Metro Bus #5A to Dulles Airport ($3.10), then catch the Virginia Regional Transit shuttle bus to the museum ($0.50). The entire commute takes approximately 80 minutes.

Back