Thank you!!!

Problem with Florida is that if a hurricane decides to make an apperance that time of year in the Cape Canaveral area.......

My vote is for Vegas, baby, Vegas. That town never gets old. There is a reason that so many organizations hold their conventions and meetings there. I can tell you that the organizations I worked for always had their best turnout when they held their conventions there.

As for the hotel, the Sahara is fine. No, it's not the nicest hotel on the Strip. In fact, it might very well be one of the worst. But what's the place I see the last of when I go to Vegas? The hotel room. It's just a place to sleep and shower in.

The session with Captain Haynes was awesome. The lessons he learned are good for anyone in any career field.

I think what Vegas has to offer that other cities don't is something for everyone. Seriously, if you want to go to a dive bar, there are plenty of them. Want to go seriously upscale and club hopping? Have at it. Good eating? You can't spit without hitting a Zagat rated restaurant. Or if you want to go cheap, then you can hit In and Out or a buffet.

As for DC, one thing to think about is the cost. I can't squeeze 60 people into my condo. Even if I could, it's in a suburb so you'd have to drive to the subway and ride it for 20 minutes to get downtown. Lodging downtown would be spendy, probably around $100 a night or so.

I say stick with Vegas. And it is truly the city that never sleeps, with apologies to New York.

And a huge thanks to the organizers. I like being able to just show up, meet some new people, catch up with some old friends, and have a GREAT time even if my wallet feels the pain later.

I have to agree with Tony. Keep it in Vegas, for numerous reasons.

1. Everything is central, and it's extremely easy to get around.
2. Something for everybody, like Tony said.
3. Remember all the stuff Doug and Kristie bring with them. If they have to fly somewhere, it's going to be much more difficult to bring all the supplies along.
4. Relatively cheap rooms, and the ability to shop rooms, be in different hotels, and still be able to get together easily. A couple years ago, several people got rooms all over the strip. It was still very easy to meet up.
5. My fiancee has never been to Vegas, and I promised I'd bring her next year. Seriously.
6. 9 Fine Irishmen and tradition.
7. Relatively easy non-rev.

Wow, another great NJC has come and gone!:( Doug and Kristie, thanks for all your hard work!( You too Pengy!)
The Sahara was wahat it was....cheap and stinky, but it served it's purpose. It was good having most of the events right there at the hotel. Don't have far to walk to get to your room when your #### faced!:buck:
I'm with Seggy for holding NJC in SAN next year. Plenty of aviation stuff, decently priced hotels and there is also the trolly and an excellent public transportation system. SAN is also easy to nonrev to. If not, Vegas still welcomes us with open arms and offers plenty for attendees.
I like the event location hadling the catering and bartending as far as keeping the liabilty on them and not you. I would also like to see another speeker next year. That was awesome the Doug was able to get Al Haynes for us this year.

I'll throw another city in there on the east coast... Orlando.
Super easy to jumpseat to. October might work out as an in between summer and winter busy seasons, might be able to get a good rate. October in Florida is pretty nice time of year. NASA and KSC are a short drive plus plenty to do around Disney. Great for families. Polar probably has the dl on all the gay bars for max.
Sorry, but NO WAY... my sister lives in Orlando and i can't even get in there anytime via non-rev... i always have to buy a ticket.

Anywhere in florida at any time, unfortunately won't fly. (no pun intended)

Alright I'm going to go out on a limb here and say why not change the venue every year? You'll have a different scene every year and then you can rotate back to Vegas once every so often.
mostly because it's a 2 man planning team (me for meeting/hotel, pengy for tours). it's much easier for me to do something closer to home than it is to do something millions of miles away. changing the venue once every few years is possible but changing it every year as a 2 man team would be too difficult.

In Vegas...i know (for the most part) what's available and where we can go/do things.. as does pengy...
In seattle.. i've got Pengy as my backup for tours and so forth while i can still set up meeting space
In Phoenix... I have enough people here to depend on to get tours set up and i can EASILY set up meeting space and get discount restaurant prices etc (i know people...hell, we could rent out temple bar entirely (local irish bar) or satori's (local sushi bar))
In DC... visiting museums is easy...but i really have no one to rely on there that can be my liaison for tours and things to do...but my dad lives there and can give me ideas on good places to stay etc.

anywhere else...i have no idea what to do, what i can plan or where is the best place to stay and/or best way to keep things on the cheap.

Although I had an awesome time in Vegas this year, I wouldn't mind seeing other parts of the country as well. Plus the cost of Vegas skyrockets when you start factoring in some gambling and/or other extra curricular activities. This might be important to some folks that are just getting their careers started and don't have a lot of extra money for a trip to Vegas.
yea.. but figure anywhere other than vegas and you're going to need rental car.. that's a pretty big extra cost. unless we find somewhere that has subway/metro...

H46Bubba;1003523[B said:
][/B]...the trolly and an excellent public transportation system.

Negative Sir.
The trolly doesn't go anywhere of interest, and nowadays, isn't the safest mode of travel either. I wouldn't recomend it.
The public transportation system in San Diego is only really helpful downtown. A rental car is the best bet in SD. All the sites are really only accessible by car anyways.

My connection kept eatin' my posts on this one.

Maybe those of us with ideas for locations could scout them out?

I'm sure sharing the legwork in setting things up would be appreciated by our wonderful hosts... Maybe we could put together a thread with the better ideas and have a poll? The final decision, of course, would belong to the Taylors.. but all the same...

yea.. but figure anywhere other than vegas and you're going to need rental car.. that's a pretty big extra cost. unless we find somewhere that has subway/metro...

Yeah it sucks to have to rent a car when you're under 25 and rentals here in PHX are ridiculously expensive to begin with because of the facility taxes. Not to mention, you'd need to have DDs constantly because of the SDL po po.

DC sounds great, it's pretty easy for people to occupy themselves on their own. Lots of non-aviation stuff to see too. Then there's DuPont Circle for Max and Bigey (lol). And it's accessible via Amtrak for the NE corridor guys, DCA, IAD and BWI, so plenty of non-rev opportunities.

SAN is also very cool.

It really stinks that NYC is so expensive because it is such a great place and there's just a ton to do both in and out of aviation.

Negative Sir.
The trolly doesn't go anywhere of interest, and nowadays, isn't the safest mode of travel either. I wouldn't recomend it.
The public transportation system in San Diego is only really helpful downtown. A rental car is the best bet in SD. All the sites are really only accessible by car anyways.
I never have any problems with the trolly, as long as you don't go past 32nd Street Navy base, you should be fine. When I'm home, I park at Qualcom and take the trolly downtown to see the Pads. But you are correct about needing rental cars or vans anywhere else outside of downtown.

Vegas sounds like the winner for numerous reasons - cost, non-reving, and most importantly - Kristies peace of mind and ease.

Agree with Tony - DC is expensive if you stay downtown. Great town and I love going there (on an expense account), but it is pricey. I paid $260 for an "ok" room per night there this summer (weird, very liberal hotel but I would stay there again because they had a fun bar/club).

I am hoping that for next years event you can bring in MD Culpepper (www.mdculpepper.org) as a key-note speaker. He is about the only thing that could trump this year. Either way, I am planning to come.

Honestly, I really don't think you can top Vegas for our main Network JC event. I know it feels like it's getting old... However, when trying to wrangle nearly a hundred people together, it serves that purpose wonderfully. I really like the idea of San Diego, but having spent some time in that city I realize that we wouldn't have the ability to coordinate like we do in Las Vegas.

Here are a few ideas that some of us randomly came up with throughout the weekend:

• Have the networking event outside in a nice pool area. Somewhere with tables and chairs, where we can grill (purchase food at a Costco-type place, cheap) and drink alcohol trying to reduce costs and make it less formal.
  • Make 9FI a Saturday night event, as long as we keep the Sun-Wed schedule. That way the tradition stays alive, and those showing up early can go to a place that isn't so loud you can chat and converse, yet also is lively enough that you can have fun.
  • I know it was my idea, so that's why it seems I'm "pimping" it here. But how about Hofbrauhaus for a spot to meet for the Sunday (or Monday if changing the networking event time) party? It just seemed like an ideal spot due to the large tables and the fact they were open to us being loud and having fun. It seemed like it was even encouraged. Plus the ceiling is really high. However, everyone would need to purchase their food and drinks on separate checks. I'm not sure if there is another venue like it, but if there is that could be a possibility too. Just somewhere that caters to large groups and gives us the ability to have conversations yet get involved and have a good time.
  • I think the LAS tower tour, MGM tour, etc. are all great. It gives a broad overview of each sector in aviation. Plus, as we do this each year, we'll just continue to build a rapport with each place. They'll start remembering us and what we are trying to accomplish.
  • Definitely keep up the keynote speaker tradition.
Honestly, whatever we do, we'll make it a good time. Personally, I'd have a grand time even if we just bought several cases of MGD and hung out in the lobby of a Holiday Inn Express. To me it isn't about the hotel, the bar, the room, or the liquor. It's about seeing my friends and making new ones. It's about having fun with an outstanding group of individuals. That's the whole purpose of this website.

I have to agree with Tony. Keep it in Vegas, for numerous reasons.

1. Everything is central, and it's extremely easy to get around.
2. Something for everybody, like Tony said.
3. Remember all the stuff Doug and Kristie bring with them. If they have to fly somewhere, it's going to be much more difficult to bring all the supplies along.
4. Relatively cheap rooms, and the ability to shop rooms, be in different hotels, and still be able to get together easily. A couple years ago, several people got rooms all over the strip. It was still very easy to meet up.
5. My fiancee has never been to Vegas, and I promised I'd bring her next year. Seriously.
6. 9 Fine Irishmen and tradition.
7. Relatively easy non-rev.

yeah to that on all the above. except the part about bringing my fiance....my wife might not like it.... :D

• Plus the ceiling is really high.
Personally, I'd have a grand time even if we just bought several cases of MGD and hung out in the lobby of a Holiday Inn Express.

1. Hah!
2. Are you a JetCareers member? "No, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Back