Terminal selected folks...info

ATLTRACON(ret)

Here is a suggestion for all of you that have been selected for the terminal option. Once you find out which facility you are going to go, go to a few websites that have info IE, approach plates, VFR terminal area, etc. and learn as much as you can before you get to the facility.

Suggested web sites:
  1. http://flightaware.com/resources/ type in the 3 letter id. learn airport info Ie RWYs, approaches, lengths of RWYs, taxiways, etc.
  2. AOPA website will give you good info about appchs as well.
  3. http://skyvector.com/ click Charts..then click the sectional you want.
  4. 7110.65 http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/at_orders/media/ATC.pdf
start with page one and start going through the entire book. Especially phraseology. Look for these types of phrases:
PHRASEOLOGY
CROSS(runway) AT (point/intersection).

More to come...

Are center controllers expected to photographically memorize the entire center airspace? If so, do they only deal with high altitudes?

Are center controllers expected to photographically memorize the entire center airspace? If so, do they only deal with high altitudes?

When I went through ZBW in the mid '80's you had to learn the entire ATRCC's airspace first, then your specific area. We had something like 700+ intersections, 200+ VOR's, etc. Mind numbing. You deal with all altitudes. Sometimes you own to the surface. Then the controller above you owns 110-170 (11,000 to 17,000) and then they guy above you owns FL180 to FL310 then an ultra high sector above that.

When I went through ZBW in the mid '80's you had to learn the entire ATRCC's airspace first, then your specific area. We had something like 700+ intersections, 200+ VOR's, etc. Mind numbing. You deal with all altitudes. Sometimes you own to the surface. Ten the controller above you owns 110-170 (11,000 to 17,000) and then they guy above you owns FL180 to FL310 then an ultra high sector above that.

Thanks for the info. Guess I can start storing away bits of info in my puny brain.

BTW, what did I say about talking to Center pukes. I don't!!!
:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

BTW, what did I say about talking to Center pukes. I don't!!!
:yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup::yup:

If you don't help me now I will make your job even worse. I may start issuing landing clearances and sending you some messed up crap for you to sort out.

So I was one of the ones selected for terminal. Hopefully IND's tower. Don't know the specific name or anything about it but would like to visit... how could I go about doing that?

So I was one of the ones selected for terminal. Hopefully IND's tower. Don't know the specific name or anything about it but would like to visit... how could I go about doing that?

Contact someone at the tower. The only way I know to find someone who works there is through the NATCA website where it lists all the FACREPS.

Hey Acey97, not only will you memorize all the center airspace map which was huge at the ARTCC I was at but also your speciality high and low, sector boundaries, fixes, VORTAC, military airspace, approach plates and depending on the training manager some LOA/SOP's just to start. I can tell you some of those maps are the size of the front door of your house. The OKC map will look hard when you get there but wait till you get to the facility. Oh and by the way they give you the map blank and you have to draw all the victor airways and jet routes and fixes and all the other stuff I mentioned above plus more.

Hey Acey97, not only will you memorize all the center airspace map which was huge at the ARTCC I was at but also your speciality high and low, sector boundaries, fixes, VORTAC, military airspace, approach plates and depending on the training manager some LOA/SOP's just to start. I can tell you some of those maps are the size of the front door of your house. The OKC map will look hard when you get there but wait till you get to the facility. Oh and by the way they give you the map blank and you have to draw all the victor airways and jet routes and fixes and all the other stuff I mentioned above plus more.

how in the hell am I going to do that?

I feel the same way, however, until you do it, don't make it out like it's an impossible thing. It can be done, that's what I'm telling myself.

I'll give you guys some info if you want at least of what I have seen and heard from when I went through the academy which was not too long ago. I only know what the En-route training is like because thats what I went through.

With the boundaries it encompasses, ZLC's map could be loads of fun.:nana2: Hopefully I make it past the academy to find out.

Back