Terminal selected folks...info

Just to clarify, we can get the low and high-altitude sectionals and start from there? Or is there a specific map just for ZTL airspace? I am only familiar with the sectional charts and I guess ZTL overlaps onto several of those.

You can sort of guess where the boundaries are for ZTL on a sectional so it might be a good place to start, but the low and high altitude maps that you are given at the center distinguish sector boundaries, the maps look alot clearer (at least to me) since it's on a white background, and the information you need to know (restrictions, MEAs, MOAs, radials, frequencies etc.) is more clearly presented than on the sectionals.

100 donuts for the actual ZTL maps :panic:

I'm trying to follow this thread, all this applies to TERMINAL ?

For an ARTCC use this info:

These are the things you will have to know on the ARTCC map, in no particular order.
  1. Jet Routes
  2. Victor Routes
  3. Intersections
  4. Any Color Routes (oceanic, etc)
  5. ALL NAVAIDS, NDB's, VOR's, VORTAC's, TACAN's, etc. names & frequencies.
  6. Once you get your specific area - certain approaches including inbound radial, MIA, etc.
  7. MIA's, MVA's MOCA's, etc.
  8. radials of the airways and Jetroutes
  9. adjacent frequencies UHF/VHF
When you first get there you will have to draw the entire ARTCC airspace which may consist of hundreds of intersections, navaids, airways and the like. After that you will be told which Area you're going to and then you really concentrate on just your area.

When I went through ZBW in the mid '80's you had to learn the entire ATRCC's airspace first, then your specific area. We had something like 700+ intersections, 200+ VOR's, etc. Mind numbing. You deal with all altitudes. Sometimes you own to the surface. Then the controller above you owns 110-170 (11,000 to 17,000) and then they guy above you owns FL180 to FL310 then an ultra high sector above that.

sounds like you were in area A :laff:

RKA DNY ART anyone?

Here's my opinion...keep in mind...just an opinion.

I am prior military and have been a few places and I have found that you perform better if you focus on one thing at a time. When you are in OKC, just focus on OKC stuff. You are going to have a lot to learn and retain in a very short time. If want to check out your next facility's info, do it, but don't concern yourself with trying to memorize the airspace. That is what they are going to pay you to do once you get to your facility. Remember, if you don't make it through OKC, you will never see your facility. I am working as a Remote Pilot Operator right now in Anchorage Center until I leave for OKC. All the developmentals here are trained as a team. Nobody gets ahead, so don't think that if you know a few more Navaids or Airways than your classmate that they will push you ahead. In fact, some of these guys have been here for 6 months and are still training on nonradar. You will have plenty of time to learn the airspace once you get there. It is a very slow process, so pay attention, make the most of what training time you will get, and BE PATIENT.

lots of good info. Thank you for posting! I got my .65 printed at kinkos for about $45, it is bound and has plastic sheets front and back too. Well worth it in my opinion. Already looking through it daily, trying to learn something!

Loving the new 7110 revision (I think it is S) with the "Shall issue specific taxi instructions to every plane" nonsense.

For those of your going to towers, try and learn the airport layout before you get there. It will really help you out during ground OJT...

Loving the new 7110 revision (I think it is S) with the "Shall issue specific taxi instructions to every plane" nonsense.

For those of your going to towers, try and learn the airport layout before you get there. It will really help you out during ground OJT...

Yeah, telling every plane the exact route to get from the ramp to the runway is garbage. Makes sense if there are quite a few planes taxiing around or it's to someone unfamiliar with the airport, but if there is only one way to get to the runway it's a waste of time...

The info provided on this thread is great for newbies. Big ups to ATLTRACON.
Basics is pretty much a definition course. There is a lot of stuff to memorize but it's fun.
Learn abbreviations and their definition prior to the academy and you will be set. They will teach you this at the academy along with where/how it is applied but whatever knowledge you bring to the academy will only help you and most likely others as well.

Ok, so to recap and confirm some things I've seen in a few threads here:

Once you get to the facility you are entered into classroom training which consists of M-F 8 hour days.
After you get checked out you get put on position and then start shift work.
After you get checked out on position (terminology I'm used to is "rated") you then are open to overtime. Does this sound about right?

How long is the classroom portion? I know getting rated on position varies, but does the classroom portion vary as well? TIA!

Ok, so to recap and confirm some things I've seen in a few threads here:

Once you get to the facility you are entered into classroom training which consists of M-F 8 hour days.
After you get checked out you get put on position and then start shift work. Usually you're put on the same schedule as your trainer.
After you get checked out on position (terminology I'm used to is "rated") you then are open to overtime Yes. Does this sound about right?

How long is the classroom portion? It depends on how long it takes you to get through all the training and DYSIM lab problems. I know getting rated on position varies, but does the classroom portion vary as well? :yeahthat:TIA!

I'm kind of confused about the difference between Terminal and TRACON and ATCT. ATCT stands for Air Traffic Control Tower right? I thought working at a TRACON or working at a tower were two different things. But I'm confused by my FOL which says "Position: ATCS (Terminal) and Duty Location: FAA Grant County ATCT/TRACON." Once again, I thought ATCT and TRACON were two completely different jobs. Which one am I? Or will I have "two" jobs combined as one cause it's a smaller airport? I thought TRACON people worked in window-less buildings just like ARTCC.

Back