Teaching "Emergencies" to your students

Re: Teaching \"Emergencies\" to your students

For correct short-field landings in most GA stuff the flpas are retracted immediately upon landing so as to transfer more weight to the braking wheels. I have yet to come across a POH that doesn't state that's how the short field landing number was arrived at, and to do otherwise on a checkride would indicate that the maneuver wasn't learned and executed correctly.

This is the one exception I referred to when I said I don't like cleanups during the rollout.

I agree with Raskal,

I am hoping to this month get on part time with a 135 Air Ambulance operator who brings C421's and a Conquest into our 2450' field (113 degree F days not exempt). I wonder how pleased they will be when I tell them that "I dont touch nothing until I am off the runway." I probably wont be around to report the results.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Raskal,

I am hoping to this month get on part time with a 135 Air Ambulance operator who brings C421's and a Conquest into our 2450' field (113 degree F days not exempt). I wonder how pleased they will be when I tell them that "I dont touch nothing until I am off the runway." I probably wont be around to report the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Critical Air that flies 421s? If so, they used to come into some pretty short fields here in AZ too. Like I said, for my operations, I generally have no reason to touch anything post landing; then again, I don't have much need to accomplish a min-run landing since A-10s haven't been normally operated off dirt strips since the late '70s. Other situations will be different depending on the reccommended procedures and operation being performed. In that case, accomplishing the procedure as safe as possible is fully warranted.

naw, this would be Mercy Hospital Air Ambulance, stationed here at Benton, in Redding CA..

while I am at it, whatever happened to my high-school-mate Chris Caputo. You know him?

[ QUOTE ]
naw, this would be Mercy Hospital Air Ambulance, stationed here at Benton, in Redding CA..

while I am at it, whatever happened to my high-school-mate Chris Caputo. You know him?

[/ QUOTE ]

He just transferred from Nellis; think he went back to Korea. Haven't seen him since he left Tucson about 8 months ago.

[ QUOTE ]
Even when I teach short field landing, I never show my students the "flap secret"; I agree, you stop the airplane in a shorter distance, but retracting the flaps during a check ride means failure

[/ QUOTE ]

My students had better know about the so called "flap secret". It's in the POH, if they don't know it they need to open that bad boy up and study some more. And you can make it 2 people who have made it through their rides while retracting the flaps without failing. I've done the short field landing on PPL, CPL, CFI, and MEI rides and retracted the flaps every single time.

Now for those of you who don't teach your students to retract the flaps on a short field landing, my guess is you probably don't teach touch and go's. What if you've just landed and someone taxis out onto the runway a little ways down, etc...? I covered for a buddy when he had the Irish Flu and ATC told his student to go once we landed. He completely ignored the flaps, lifted off at about 35kts, and then realized what was up. At about 20' AGL and 40kts, he decided it was time to bring 'em in and we started sinking like a rock.

I'm not saying you should teach your students from day one how to do a touch and go. But my students have to demonstrate it before solo. (All solo landings are full stop) Besides, they're probably going to do them once they get their tickets, I'd rather them learn as much with me as possible before truly spreading their own wings.

mikeD.. thanks for the reply.

On the touch and go subject.. I like to teach people how to initiate a go-around AFTER intentionally bouncing the airplane on landing. MY main point in this is to let them know that even AFTER you have landed (or otherwise contacted terra-firma), you can STILL go around....

[ QUOTE ]
landed (or otherwise contacted terra-firma), you can STILL go around....

[/ QUOTE ]

lol!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ok:)
Good point. Lots of contacting of terra firma would NOT leave go around as an option
smile.gif
smile.gif

I think what I mean is that there are aplenty of landings where you've touched the runway.. but ya AINT DOWN and yer in a better position to get the heck out ! A good example of are crosswind landings when the student insists on not using any rudder.

Is it common for students to not do touch and go landings. At the airport I fly out of it is all you do when flying circuits. Even before I had my licence, the first solo was just one full stop, but then everything after that has been touch and goes. We even do stop and goes when working on short field landings. It' s just common airport procedure.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it common for students to not do touch and go landings. At the airport I fly out of it is all you do when flying circuits. Even before I had my licence, the first solo was just one full stop, but then everything after that has been touch and goes. We even do stop and goes when working on short field landings. It' s just common airport procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, first solo is to full-stops. Follow-on flights can be t&g standard, if for anything, to maximize training.

The UND final check in the warrior is a bad idea IMHO. My arrow student the other day would have landed gear up had i not been there. I had pulled the gear pump circut breaker to simulate a gear emergency. Well he missed the fact that putting the handle down didnt give 3 green. He then missed the gear warning horn blaring and just ignored it as he turned base. Then he even said the UND final check (gear down locked prop forward flaps set 40) but didnt actually verify it. Since he has said it for a few semesters while knowing the gear down and locked part is a farce on the Warrior it is now something he just says without acually thinking about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Normally, first solo is to full-stops. Follow-on flights can be t&g standard, if for anything, to maximize training.

[/ QUOTE ]For those interested in the touch & go issues, there's a interesting article from AOPA's Air Safety Foundation in which a number of CFIs talks about touch & goes. (membership =not= required)

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/inst_reports2.cfm?article=4589

[ QUOTE ]
....in which a number of CFIs talks ....

[/ QUOTE ]
smirk.gif
Shameless, Mark, shameless.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The UND final check in the warrior is a bad idea IMHO. My arrow student the other day would have landed gear up had i not been there. I had pulled the gear pump circut breaker to simulate a gear emergency. Well he missed the fact that putting the handle down didnt give 3 green. He then missed the gear warning horn blaring and just ignored it as he turned base. Then he even said the UND final check (gear down locked prop forward flaps set 40) but didnt actually verify it. Since he has said it for a few semesters while knowing the gear down and locked part is a farce on the Warrior it is now something he just says without acually thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why we have had some gear up landings here at UND. IMHO, there are many students here who shouldn't be able to fly here.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....in which a number of CFIs talks ....

[/ QUOTE ]
smirk.gif
Shameless, Mark, shameless.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]You're right. The grammar in that sentence was atrocious.
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you. I'd go a step further and speculate that teaching "gear down and welded" in a fixed gear airplane causes more gear ups later than it prevents.

[/ QUOTE ]

A flight instructor, coworker to my third flight instructor, taught a before-landing gear check in the fixed gear airplanes. One day he looked down to check that the tire was still there, and the student looked down to check that the tire was still there, and the student yelled "IT'S GONE!"

The mechanic had forgot to install the cotter pin. On departure, the wheel vibrated off. They did their lesson, came back, and found a large empty space where the tire should have been.

Instead of the planned student's short field landing, the instructor did the landing with the emergency equipment standing by.

My school believes in stress training. Essentially, we up the stress on the student gradually until they can perform the proper actions under the real stress of a real emergency.

I train emergency procedures in all points of the traffic pattern. The first engine failure after liftoff I will demonstrate, the next the student usually can handle. They will see a failure before rotation; chop and stop.
They will see a failure:
at liftoff; chop, land, stop.
at 50' with runway remaining; chop, land, stop.
at 500' without runway remaining; chop, land within about 10 degrees of centerline avoiding obstacles as needed.
at 800'; if they really feel comfortable, they will have decided before takeoff if it'll be within 10 degrees ahead or turning around for a taxiway or parallel runway.
at the turn from crosswind to downwind; turn away from the runway, 270 to land.
in the first third of downwind; slip to land.
in the second third; modified traffic pattern, roll off the end
in the third third; aim for the numbers.
On downwind to base turn; aim for the numbers.
On base; aim for the numbers.
On final; accept the undershoot will be a landing in the grass.
On the go-around....

After the students have seen the emergency response demonstrated as needed, and practiced it to success, they are put on notice that the engine could fail at any time. The takeoff brief becomes much more serious at that point.

Then the real fun begins for me. I've already briefed myself on where I will pull the engine and what I will do if the student doesn't perform as expected. Then, when least expected, or even if it is expected, we will be working the pattern and BAM! the engine quits. I see the first three desired initial reactions (DO NOT STALL! DO NOT STALL! DO NOT STALL!), the nose goes down and when I've seen enough, I can add power and we continue the takeoff or whatever. Or it might be all the way to a full landing. (HINT: Have ATC's permission BEFORE boarding when doing any of this training --- especially landing opposite direction -- not recommended at an uncontrolled field.)

We cover lost comms, getting unlost, fires, sick passengers, sick pilot, VFR into IMC, Emergency IFR to get out of IMC, aiming for the dirt to make a real short strip, control surface failure, stall recovery, spin recovery procedures (we send them to Rick Stowell if they want actual spin training), all sorts of systems failures, we even cover what to do when the coffee is cold at the FBO. We cover factors to consider when treking over the desert-mountain-coastal climates found in less than 200 nm. We emphasize just how long it can be to be located after doing a successful off-airport landing, if no flight plan was filed and opened.

Just yesterday, a student remarked after a practice checkride, 'Wow. I see just how hard it is to land when airsick.' One of the unusual attitude recoveries had spun his internal gyros. We immediately stopped maneuvering and did straight and level back to the airport. He did the flying. He did the landing. He did the taxi. He completed the checklists. Only then was he allowed to listen to the internal compartment that said 'not feeling well.'

During my various refresher and flight training sessions, I've had to:
fly a complete missed approach to another instrument approach to landing with failed gyros and severe spatial disorientation.
deal with engine failure in a single engine on approach
all sorts of engine failures while training for the multi
Lost comm, lost gyros, single nav in instrument conditions
deal with engine failure at 500' AGL in a steep turn (mountain flying course)
and the above things that I train, I went through.

But the training worked... real life has thrown:
multiple electrical and communications failures
three gyro failures while in IMC (one in a freakin jet - un-bleeping believable)
while passenger, a pilot getting spatial disorientation
severe turbulence
a low-altitude stall due to windshear
stuck elevator
electrical fire while at 1000' (pucker factor = max)
two gear system failures, including one bailout on an active runway with a guy on final
unforecast turbulence with a downdraft that made I-5 my runway of choice until the escape maneuver worked (phew!)
and one weird flight where it took 50 nm for the brain to accept the fact that Los Angeles is southwest of Las Vegas, not northeast.

But the most insidious emergency is something I have to constantly keep in check: complacency.
shocked.gif

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Back