Tangier island mishap (Sept 2016)

melax

Long Long time ago I used to visit Tangier island often, Today I went there virtually (Thanks to Google street view) and found this Piper on the side of the runway, looks like a bounced landing/prop strike, with the police tape still around it. After a quick search I found the story...

Also this Covid-19 Interesting fact, so far Tangier island is Covid free. hopefully it stays that way !

I wonder how many airports have their runways covered in Google street view ?

Last edited:
Anything cool to do there? It's within two hours , I never did itof me here at RDU
Seafood, a Museum, I think there was some kind of organized tours (Golf carts / kayak, I never did it), Graveyard in high water table environment etc. Trump promised to save the island (water rising + land sinking a la Maldives), he promised them a sea-wall, maybe Mexico will pay for it. :bounce: so a lots of MAGA there ~400 or so.
Did you view the Youtube link above ? you should stay clear of it until this pandemic is resolved.

It's a little bit like time travel.. a different place.

Last edited:
My flight school organizes trips down there regularly - we haven't heard anything about "stay away" due to pandemic. There's beaches. It's quite nice.

My flight school organizes trips down there regularly - we haven't heard anything about "stay away" due to pandemic. There's beaches. It's quite nice.
That AOPA video was uploaded back in march, so maybe things changed, tourism $$ ?

Back