Taboo For Pilots To Do Stuff While Cruising?

exneophyte

I've been working on an iPad app lately for a gentleman that wanted his pilots to be able to enter information about the flights and associated expenses whenever they wanted. It got me thinking about the "bigger picture." Is there anything that says a pilot couldn't do simple data entry while at cruise altitude like time on/off, hobbs on/off, etc?

This is more focused towards managed aviation, charter, and fractional jet ownership than it is for the airlines, but I keep going back to the guys that overflew MSP a year or so ago and wonder if anything has changed in terms of restricting what pilots can do in the cockpit. Its probably specific to the operation, but are there any rules/taboos that would restrict pilots from entering some of this information in flight?

We have two Ipads for each aircraft and the pilots can enter anything they want in cruise. We have a sterile cockpit rule for initial climb and descents that includes the Ipads if it's non-essential. We haven't had any issues with this in our mapping operations for the approximately two years we've had the Ipads.

We have two Ipads for each aircraft and the pilots can enter anything they want in cruise. We have a sterile cockpit rule for initial climb and descents that includes the Ipads if it's non-essential. We haven't had any issues with this in our mapping operations for the approximately two years we've had the Ipads.
Cool, thanks. I completely understand the sterile cockpit rules for non-essential operations, but I wasn't sure if anything had changed that would prohibit something like this.

Where else do you do paperwork, eat, sleep, listen to the latest music, read the paper or play games on your phone?

Right now I have to pull out an annoyingly large binder during flight to jot down stuff that can only be done in flight. Having it all on a tablet would be nice.

Right now I have to pull out an annoyingly large binder during flight to jot down stuff that can only be done in flight. Having it all on a tablet would be nice.
Care to elaborate on what kind of stuff they have you entering? Also, what kind of operation is it? Even via PM would be much appreciated

Do NOTHING but stare out the windscreen and cross check the instruments! Now, let me add this little device that will autmatically level your wings.

Do NOTHING but stare out the windscreen and cross check the instruments! Now, let me add this device that keeps your altitude.

Do NOTHING but stare out the windscreen and cross check the instruments! Now, let me add this device that automatically tracks a course.

Do NOTHING but stare out the windscreen and cross check the instruments! Now, let me add this device that automatically adjusts your power.

Do NOTHING but stare out the windscreen and cross check the instruments! Now, let me add this device that autmatically adjusts your speed when the aircraft ahead slows down.

24136650.jpg

Back