SWA...Wha-evr, I do watta wan.

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date
This will be interesting. They have a good shot at taking a jab at the competition next door.

The Bay Area employees will be very happy. Right now whenever they have to go to DAL, which is often for supervisors, the 2-3 AUS flights from OAK/SJC are the only one stop option. And since they're usually packed, its pretty common for them to have to go SJC-SAN-ABQ-ELP-DAL and what not. Positive space or not, that would suck.

The Bay Area employees will be very happy. Right now whenever they have to go to DAL, which is often for supervisors, the 2-3 AUS flights from OAK/SJC are the only one stop option. And since they're usually packed, its pretty common for them to have to go SJC-SAN-ABQ-ELP-DAL and what not. Positive space or not, that would suck.

Yes, and I think unfortunately, AUS may lose some Southwest traffic next year, as I know they heavily use AUS as a focus city due to the wright amendment clouding DAL's options to the lower 48.

And since they're usually packed, its pretty common for them to have to go SJC-SAN-ABQ-ELP-DAL and what not. Positive space or not, that would suck.

Making it much worse, there's no such thing as real "positive space" on Southwest. You get a slightly higher priority than non-revving, but if they have full fare passengers waiting to get on, the so-called "positive space" employee is getting bumped. And pilots and FAs can be required to sit on the jumpseat.

ATN_Pilot said:
Making it much worse, there's no such thing as real "positive space" on Southwest. You get a slightly higher priority than non-revving, but if they have full fare passengers waiting to get on, the so-called "positive space" employee is getting bumped. And pilots and FAs can be required to sit on the jumpseat.
I bumped passengers when I was Non Revenue, Must Ride.

I bumped passengers when I was Non Revenue, Must Ride.
Well to back what Todd said, a very good friend of mine who is a WN sup has been pulled off revenue flights several times traveling as a must ride. Most recently he was already seated on his first leg to go SJC-AUS-DAL then was pulled off the flight to get another pax on. After yanking him off, the agent ran him a few gates down to an SAN flight that had finished boarding and told him on the run he had been re-routed SJC-SAN-ABQ-ELP-DAL. You can say he was a little pissed off about one stop becoming a 3 stop tour of the Southwest. I don't know about other airlines, but at United, must rides wouldn't get bumped for oversales, weight restrictions, or anything. They were revenue pax as far as United was concerned.

He actually cited that as the last straw with the company and is now seeking other work. Don't know how common this is, but the SFO employees seem to think it happens often enough.

Last edited:
It all worked out in the end, but this almost screwed my family on my father's retirement flight last year. We laugh about it now but at the time it gave us a few moments of panic!

Well to back what Todd said, a very good friend of mine who is a WN sup has been pulled off revenue flights several times traveling as a must ride. Most recently he was already seated on his first leg to go SJC-AUS-DAL then was pulled off the flight to get another pax on. After yanking him off, the agent ran him a few gates down to an SAN flight that had finished boarding and told him on the run he had been re-routed SJC-SAN-ABQ-ELP-DAL. You can say he was a little pissed off about one stop becoming a 3 stop tour of the Southwest. I don't know about other airlines, but at United, must rides wouldn't get bumped for oversales, weight restrictions, or anything. They were revenue pax as far as United was concerned.

He actually cited that as the last straw with the company and is now seeking other work. Don't know how common this is, but the SFO employees seem to think it happens often enough.

I question the employee that did this. That is a clear violation of the company travel policy. A must ride is treated as that, a MUST RIDE. I have been part of the process (I worked Operations) of pulling full fare paying passengers off a flight to accommodate must rides. The same rules apply for Must Rides with Southwest as any other airline. They're not just revenue pax, they cannot get bumped under any circumstance. Theres even a tax and accounting portion to being a Must Ride.

Furthermore, no one can make ANYONE sit jumpseat. Even if a flight crew has to be repositioned for another flight due to crew scheduling, not a single person can be forced to ride JS. The F/A or Pilots can offer to sit JS to help out get a paying pax, but it's not required.
Feel free to ask more about the JS policy at Southwest considering I worked it day in and day out.

I question the employee that did this. That is a clear violation of the company travel policy. A must ride is treated as that, a MUST RIDE. I have been part of the process (I worked Operations) of pulling full fare paying passengers off a flight to accommodate must rides. The same rules apply for Must Rides with Southwest as any other airline. They're not just revenue pax, they cannot get bumped under any circumstance. Theres even a tax and accounting portion to being a Must Ride.

Furthermore, no one can make ANYONE sit jumpseat. Even if a flight crew has to be repositioned for another flight due to crew scheduling, not a single person can be forced to ride JS. The F/A or Pilots can offer to sit JS to help out get a paying pax, but it's not required.
Feel free to ask more about the JS policy at Southwest considering I worked it day in and day out.
Maybe its an SJC issue then, because its happened to my buddy and some of his coworkers more than once, and every story I've heard has been flying out of SJC.

It's not an SJC issue. It's company policy. And the union leadership even defends it. Don't care what Bigey says about how it may have been, we're living it right now. If you have a positive space ticket to DAL for training, you're subject to be being bumped for revenue. And if you're a pilot, they can bump you to the jumpseat. Those are just facts.

Please stop! It's bad enough that I have to hold back vomit when I read that crap at work!

Dude, if that's the worst you have to deal with, count yourself lucky. I can't hear "Partner of Choice" or "100% Items" or "SMS...not just three letters" without wanting to bludgeon someone to death.

Boris Badenov said:
Dude, if that's the worst you have to deal with, count yourself lucky. I can't hear "Partner of Choice" or "100% Items" or "SMS...not just three letters" without wanting to bludgeon someone to death.

Imagine walking into work everyday, and seeing where they've painted over a giant AirTran 717 mural with a giant mural of SWA company slogans, including "Follow the Golden Rule," after they've raped us of our seniority, our QOL, our domicile, and our captain seats.

Golden Rule, my ass.

Imagine walking into work everyday, and seeing where they've painted over a giant AirTran 717 mural with a giant mural of SWA company slogans, including "Follow the Golden Rule," after they've raped us of our seniority, our QOL, our domicile, and our captain seats.

Golden Rule, my ass.

I walk in and I see "Pink Ties: $20"

You know someone tried to give me some shizzle for not having one on? That was a fun conversation.

"Already gave at the office, honey, trust me."

Back