SWA vs UAL... FIGHT

Yeah...I haven't JS'd since atleast 2014. But why not say "hey. I think we are a little slow" while in flight just as good CRM? I really wasn't there to give a line check. I was simply there to catch a ride home or to work. This was hero ball if I've ever seen it.

The one time I felt like speaking up was when the train to the N gates broke down and we had to wait for ages to find a gate. I was in the jumpseat and the captain didn't update the FAs or the PAX for a looooooong time. I felt like if he had it would have made it a lot easier for the FAs. It wasn't safety related so I didn't say anything.

The one time I felt like speaking up was when the train to the N gates broke down and we had to wait for ages to find a gate. I was in the jumpseat and the captain didn't update the FAs or the PAX for a looooooong time. I felt like if he had it would have made it a lot easier for the FAs. It wasn't safety related so I didn't say anything.

Yeah, that drives me nuts as a PAX. I just got back from a trip where two CAs did a particularly good job of keeping us informed. One was a Mesa CA who explained the reason for the MX delay in a detail that I might have been the only one to appreciate, but I did. CA on my UA flight last night stood in the galley on the intercom and provided a preview of the delays he expected. Particularly loved that because I was in 1F and the woman next to me had been talking incessantly on her phone until she finally realized she should STFU because the CA was having a hard time speaking over her.

I try to, because I want them to speak up if they see something. I also think there is an obligation to say something.
I’m glad this safety culture exists. I’m not sure if anything could have been done on Atlas 3591 (which killed a UAL jumpseater I believe), but it certainly would have helped with the Asiana 777 that hit the sea wall at SFO. Glad you guys are able to thread the needle between respect/gratitude and speaking up if necessary in the name of safety.

I’m glad this safety culture exists. I’m not sure if anything could have been done on Atlas 3591 (which killed a UAL jumpseater I believe), but it certainly would have helped with the Asiana 777 that hit the sea wall at SFO. Glad you guys are able to thread the needle between respect/gratitude and speaking up if necessary in the name of safety.

Nobody is perfect, and stuff happens. The swiss cheese holes sometimes line up insidiously and if the crew doesn't notice it, I want my JSer to tell us. So much so, that if something did occur, and after the JSer boasts about how they saw that and couldn't believe what happened, I would be irate that they didn't speak up to prevent something from happening.

Unfortunately, this situation with UAL and SWA is going to make pilots real nervous about having people in the JS. This is a unique case and hopefully it is quickly forgotten but please don't threaten to go to the FAA if you see something....

That might have been the same night I was coming back from an OE trip, I did feel bad for pax being stuck, missing connections etc but the sheer •show of it all was pretty hilarious.

Do any CAs give a brief to jumpseaters similar to what I would give to a pilot riding shotgun with me in a piston single? Like "hey, if you see something odd, say something." Is that a thing?
I do, as a matter of fact. Usually nothing exhaustive, just a "Hey, feel free to plug in, speak up if you see something you don't like. If it doesn't apply to our type or operation, that's ok. Appreciate the extra set of eyes," or something like that. I did use a DL jumpseater as a resource once when we had something going on and I needed another set of eyes on the weather. (I don't remember the full story, at this point, but I do remember that it was a fun leg.)

My expectation is that the jumpseater is part of the crew, and will be an extra set of eyes, just in case. I know I've had once or twice on the jumpseat where the crew misheard something and I mentioned it, or was about to blow a taxi clearance, or, once, had a stuck mic.

Alternatively, if the jumpseater just wants to sleep, that's cool, too.

I think people should throttle back. First, no one ACTUALLY knows what went down other than the company and the three pilots involved and they're probably not talking outside of the union and themselves.

If the story is accurate, SWA and UAL need to handle it through the respective unions, but I'm super reluctant in the age of social media and OpenAI to get too trigger happy when there's a saucy story. I know, it's super boring and unsatisfying waiting for the facts.

Hell, I had to wait a year to talk about the "FFDO vs the Airbus Captain", it sucked as I didn't even talk to my wife about it, but NDA's and confidential information at the time, well, my hands were tied both professionally and ethically but once it hit the media, SHAWWWWSHANNNNNNK!

Just a note.... Doxing a person, even a person who does something really stupid, is bad form, and in same States has liability consequences. Also, as Reddit proved with the Boston Marathon bombing, there is a high likelihood of doxing the wrong person.

That's my fear. And if it's the wrong person getting harassed who might already be in a pretty 'bad place' for a number of other reasons, it could get messy.

That's my fear. And if it's the wrong person getting harassed who might already be in a pretty 'bad place' for a number of other reasons, it could get messy.

I actually just raised that issue with the moderator of our inhouse FB forum tonight. Somebody posted this story there, and then another person posted the alleged pilot's personal information. Sure it's a "private" group, but you have to wonder how much liability protection Section 230 actual provides if a person was to harm themselves due to something like this, ESPECIALLY if they weren't the actual person who did the thing.

I actually just raised that issue with the moderator of our inhouse FB forum tonight. Somebody posted this story there, and then another person posted the alleged pilot's personal information. Sure it's a "private" group, but you have to wonder how much liability protection Section 230 actual provides if a person was to harm themselves due to something like this, ESPECIALLY if they weren't the actual person who did the thing.

Again, not questioning the veracity of the story, but it's too easy in 2024 to spoof almost anything and, when the legend is more saucy than reality, the human brain is going to go for the sexier of the two.

If I had a dime for every time I had to correct someone on what "woke", "DE&I", "layover", "bumped", "tarmac" etc, I'd be retired. But the misuse is so satisfying to certain people, it falls on deaf ears and makes people a lot of money by driving clicks.

Testing the boundaries…

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 70
Back