SWA Early Out and Extended Time Off.

JetDoc

Pit Bull Wrangler
Pretty good deal.

329121dee15ec86d3419534289bddb99.jpg

For the first time, I wish I worked at Southwest.

Actually need to clarify. It's 55 TFP (trips for pay) which equates to about 47 credit hours.

And the early out is 67 TFP which equates to about 57 credit hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still not too shabby. I’d gladly downsize a little to take 5 paid years off.

I don't think I'll take the full five years but we are looking at 6 months or a year. It's not a money issue because my wife works full time. I need to figure out how I'll spend my time. I can't just sit on the couch eating Doritos for a year. I'll need to find some sort of meaningful pursuit whether that's going back to school, or learning a trade, or doing a little flight instructing. I'm open to suggestions.

I don't think I'll take the full five years but we are looking at 6 months or a year. It's not a money issue because my wife works full time. I need to figure out how I'll spend my time. I can't just sit on the couch eating Doritos for a year. I'll need to find some sort of meaningful pursuit whether that's going back to school, or learning a trade, or doing a little flight instructing. I'm open to suggestions.

smoke weed and throw frisbees at metal baskets.

I’m really thinking about it also. It’s more of a stretch for us because my wife doesn’t work but we’ve been considering relocating closer to her family but that would require commuting when I come back so just don’t know yet. A whole lot to think about in the coming weeks.

The idea of a yearlong sabbatical for my 40th birthday has really got me intrigued.

Did you guys end up moving? I feel like a while back you were asking about...Nashville? Might have you mixed up with someone else.

Keeping the travel benefits would certainly be easy to spend some time. Personally, I’m trying to get back into hiking after moving to Western NC. Would love to keep getting into that, ultimately culminating in hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Glad you guys seem to have a viable solution.

If you're at 5th year FO pay, that's $92,000 a year to not work, AND they pay for your health insurance?

I mean WTF is the catch? Do you not accrue seniority or something? You have to become a hit man for the company?
Seriously. There has to be a catch. Don't accrue longevity? Retirement contributions?

I'd be gone.

Are.

You.

KIDDING?! Man, if I were in my early 50’s would take it, as written, today! :)

No. I'm dead serious.

I've heard some say they won't go because the company won't pay them anything for their sick bank. Or because they won't get any contributions to their 401K. Or because health care isn't paid for.

I think they're in the minority but the reality is that there are only about 1100 pilots between 60 and 65 at the airline right now and I would be (pleasantly) surprised if more than 50% of them take the permanent leave option.

No. I'm dead serious.

I've heard some say they won't go because the company won't pay them anything for their sick bank. Or because they won't get any contributions to their 401K. Or because health care isn't paid for.

I think they're in the minority but the reality is that there are only about 1100 pilots between 60 and 65 at the airline right now and I would be (pleasantly) surprised if more than 50% of them take the permanent leave option.

I think a lot are concerned about what would happen in a bankruptcy scenario too.

Back