SWA a stepping stone airline

It was the same at F9 a few years ago...almost 50% of my FO's were waiting on a class date with a Legacy, I constantly got "why are you still here". Well it worked and I should have listened years ago.

after the AiP I assume the attrition will slow/stop...but who knows.

At the zoo i keep hearing that even now…just not sure if I should jump. Treated me well thus far and cant really complain :/

Not sure what to make of all of this. We recently had two or three guys leave for a legacy only to return back to BlueJuice in recent new hire classes. Then I personally knew a 12 year+ CA here who drove to work leave for DL to go commute to NYC. Interesting time to be an airline pilot. Anyone know if NetJets and other big factional/corporate companies are having trouble finding and keeping pilots?

Not sure what to make of all of this. We recently had two or three guys leave for a legacy only to return back to BlueJuice in recent new hire classes. Then I personally knew a 12 year+ CA here who drove to work leave for DL to go commute to NYC. Interesting time to be an airline pilot. Anyone know if NetJets and other big factional/corporate companies are having trouble finding and keeping pilots?
One corporate shop (can’t remember who) raised their minimums to 3000hrs. Apparently they found most people under 3000hrs were bailing out and going to the airlines.

The music beginning to stop? Find a seat time?

Eh, I don't know if that is the big issue in people's minds. I know plenty of people who started at AA, and jumped to UAL or DAL or Purple or Brown because it better fit their life circumstances/base desires. Or started at UAL and jumped to AA, UAL, FDX or UPS. Or started at DAL, and jumped to AA, UAL, FDX or UPS. Or started at..........Everyone is hiring right now. So now is the time to address anything that isn't exactly what you wanted. I think the folks who were not quite competitive at the big 3/2 cargo are certainly using a few months at another domestic major/legacy/ULCC flying mainline airplanes and getting that type rating, but those are the people that the big dogs need to fill the seats they imagine they will need soon. I doubt the average Joe is worried about the sky falling, even if it easily could be soon. UAL and 30k pilots? Anyone wanna be in the first 5k of that to be furloughed when they realize that 15k ish pilots was what is sustainable? I hope I'm wrong, but I do think people should be concerned about this.

It’s true. Seeing a lot of Skywest folks coming to WN, spending 4-6 months, and then heading out to greener pastures. Over the summer it was unusual to fly with an FO who didn’t have an interview or a CJO elsewhere. It does seem to have slowed down over the last couple of months though.

I wouldn't call them greener but we all gotta be who we is ;)

No offense, but Southwest is like 800 airplanes? It's not like they are going from 800 to 1600 in the next 10 yrs. Most of the explosive growth at the Major national/LCCs is basically done. Their future airplane deliveries will be dependent on the pilot supply available. It doesn't matter if Spirit says they want to go from 150 airplanes to 500 in 8 years. They will get the amount of airplanes for the amount of pilots they can attract and retain.

If I was a new kid under 35, I'd leave any carrier to go to the big 3 pax airlines.

Last edited:

12th yr capped CAs leaving Major/LCCs to start over at the big 3 just sounds like a career disaster in the making. Starting over at the bottom is for the juniors. Forward looking guesses are just that - guesses. One major downturn away from a career disruption.

Many of them that I know were very junior.......6 mo to a year or so at first major, hopping over to more convenient one, and that was a number of years ago as well. But the guys, like those we used to have, who jumped with significant years of seniority in the last couple years. That would terrify me, personally. If it were on the bow wave of the hiring boom in the mid twenty-teens, that would be one thing, but the last year or so could end up being very different in terms of implications. Top pay scales In the distant future don't put food on the table if you are furloughed, when you could have been flying in the place you came from. That isn't to say that upward/lateral career movements of convenience are bad, but right now, I would feel very wary. I'm sure I'll be wrong, which is a good thing, but that is my gut feeling. That and I've been doing this for a grand total of a year and a half, so please, nobody take my advice.

No offense, but Southwest is like 800 airplanes? It's not like they are going from 800 to 1600 in the next 10 yrs. Most of the explosive growth at the Major national/LCCs is basically done. Their future airplane deliveries will be dependent on the pilot supply available. It doesn't matter if Spirit says they want to go from 150 airplanes to 500 in 8 years. They will get the amount of airplanes for the amount of pilots they can attract and retain.

If I was a new kid under 35, I'd leave any carrier to go to the big 3 pax airlines.
Seems like it’s the other way around. Airplane deliveries are still behind and from what I’ve read CFIs aren’t getting hired by regionals the instant they hit 1500 hours.

Many of them that I know were very junior.......6 mo to a year or so at first major, hopping over to more convenient one, and that was a number of years ago as well. But the guys, like those we used to have, who jumped with significant years of seniority in the last couple years. That would terrify me, personally. If it were on the bow wave of the hiring boom in the mid twenty-teens, that would be one thing, but the last year or so could end up being very different in terms of implications. Top pay scales In the distant future don't put food on the table if you are furloughed, when you could have been flying in the place you came from. That isn't to say that upward/lateral career movements of convenience are bad, but right now, I would feel very wary. I'm sure I'll be wrong, which is a good thing, but that is my gut feeling. That and I've been doing this for a grand total of a year and a half, so please, nobody take my advice.
My tax lady pointed out how much less I’m making this year and anyway.

Next year, on the other hand…

Netjets is having huge attrition problems.

5Tz.gif

Our retirements are starting to go up and don’t stop for another 9 years. But the hiring that happened over last 2 years was more getting airlines back to levels pre Covid from buyouts and retirements and some added growth. But yeah we’ve even said our hiring now will start to slow down (still going to be a lot of hiring if you compare to 2018-2019). Music stopping in this industry with what’s about to go down though seems unlikely. Baring a black swan but even with a black swan the airlines are losing a LOT of people here this decade and early next.

Our retirements are starting to go up and don’t stop for another 9 years. But the hiring that happened over last 2 years was more getting airlines back to levels pre Covid from buyouts and retirements and some added growth. But yeah we’ve even said our hiring now will start to slow down (still going to be a lot of hiring if you compare to 2018-2019). Music stopping in this industry with what’s about to go down though seems unlikely. Baring a black swan but even with a black swan the airlines are losing a LOT of people here this decade and early next.
Yeah, the big 3 are still planning on hiring 2k/year for the next 3-4 years. I don’t know where they’re going to them all, though.

Back