Surviving your first 121 initial training

They didn't have a hef on draft when I was last there. The ipa was my go to. The skinny girl who works there is a bit of a space cadet, but she always took my expired coupons no questions asked, so I always way overtipped her.
It was something bottled, I forget what it was.
I know exactly who you're talking about, space cadet indeed :D

Also don’t be afraid to ask questions. Chances are 99% of the time, there are others that have the same question or are just as lost.

Unless it's 2 minutes until class is up and your question will take 10 minutes to answer. That's when you become "that guy."
hears-facts.jpg

And do not be this guy. And if you have one of these in your ground school, that just means it’s coffee time when he starts babbling about how he did things at Brand X. No one cares. Do as the man says and cash the check.

72B5089A-BAC8-40D8-B770-F8773C42AA30.png

No one is going to be in amazement about how smart you are, you’re just being a dick and you need validation. That’s why we have strip clubs, you can buy some validation.

Know limitations and memory items before showing up. Possibly work on flows prior but they don’t need to be nailed, just a basic understanding. Take what is going on at that moment, don’t get too far ahead or study stuff you already passed. Once you pass a “phase”, like systems and general knowledge stuff, quit worrying about it. Study Flows/ procedures and call outs hard (Brush up from prior studies if you had a chance). Always review whatever manuevers you will be doing the next day. Don’t sweat about it. Study MAYBE an hour a day because if you don’t know it, studying 6 hours in a row won’t make you know it by the next day and it will just stress you out. Just ask questions/have the instructors help you, this shows willingness to learn and effort. O and don’t suck.

Unless it's 2 minutes until class is up and your question will take 10 minutes to answer. That's when you become "that guy."
Eh, in my class the instructors were all pretty cool helping people 1 on 1 that had a hard time.

The key is to know when and how to be "that guy".

Net net, on a good minus bad earnings chart, "That Guy" is a bit akin to the Catholic Church (which, btw, created innumerable creative methods for dealing with "that guy" challenges of it's own; thankfully, none of which were wholly successful).

As much pain an annoyance as "that guy" can be, almost every single advancement and improvement in the human condition has been dependent on some form or another of "that guy".

So...you’re that guy. Got it.

And do not be this guy. And if you have one of these in your ground school, that just means it’s coffee time when he starts babbling about how he did things at Brand X. No one cares. Do as the man says and cash the check.

View attachment 44003

No one is going to be in amazement about how smart you are, you’re just being a dick and you need validation. That’s why we have strip clubs, you can buy some validation.

I get it, I really do, but I always wanted trainees to ask questions until they understood what I was asking them to do.

I'd rather have to explain something ten different ways if it means not failing someone on their line check. Acting like Billy badass and keeping your mouth shut because the internet told you to play it cool doesn't do new guys any good.

I get it, I really do, but I always wanted trainees to ask questions until they understood what I was asking them to do.

I'd rather have to explain something ten different ways if it means not failing someone on their line check. Acting like Billy badass and keeping your mouth shut because the internet told you to play it cool doesn't do new guys any good.
Eh...

Always ask questions! If you don't feel comfortable during class catch them in the hall for the bathroom break. Don't let the ego get in the way of a simple explanation to a question.

You're gonna be so amped to sit up front in that thing for the first time in a jumpseat...for the first hour.

Then you're going to want to die.

757 JS Survival Guide:

Step 1: Mind your toes & fingers from the captain's chair sliding back
Step 2: Remove back cushion and position at a 45 degree angle
Step 3: Twist your body to the right and use your roller for a foot rest
Step 4: Once this gets uncomfy give up and ask if it's cool to roll around on the floor for awhile
Step 5: Now that you are disheveled & dirty from years of food particles ground into the carpet, go back to the cabin and bother the FAs until landing

Back