Surviving your first 121 initial training

Take one day completely for yourself every week.

When I was a new hire I had a lot depending on my success and I decided the time I spent in ground school would be completely devoted to my career.

I was burned out after week 2.

So I started taking Friday night and Saturday for myself. I still had plenty of study time on Sunday. Literally nothing bad happened.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Go home at least a couple of the weekends to decompress and reboot so you don’t burn out. This would also be a good opportunity to get laid, which helps as well.

Good thread. No great thread!

Like Cassie sang. "I got a long way to go."

But indoc and the whole fire hose concept, really stresses me out just thinking about it. It's so foreign to any other type of training I've ever done. But more importantly the thought of washing out of 121 indoc, scares the complete crap out of me. I was actually just talking with @Stone Cold about all this recently.

In any event at least for right now I'll focus on just doing well during my initial flight training. But we'll have a redux of this thread in two years time.

Thanks for starting this thread @ozziecat35, and kick ass (you can totally say ass here) in your 121 training.

Last edited:
Not really sure who all is going home during training, if you don't get positive space and aren't in CASS that's a risky bet. If they pay you and give you a hotel for the entire course, just stay local and find something fun to do to decompress.

Some airlines positive space you home every weekend and every two day break or longer during sims. It was wonderful. There’s plenty of advice out there about never going home during training, but if you can do it distraction free it can be great. If you have a house full of kids and events, then may not.

What helped me was making my own note cards of my must knows and reviewing them multiple times a week. Take good notes. Study flows and call outs on your own then rehearse with your partner. If you get sent home for a break, spend that time to decompress some, but make sure you are ready to go for the next phase of training (like having flows, callouts, profiles down cold before SIMs).

An important note, find time to decompress and clear ya mind some, and pace yourself. Don't try to get ahead of the curve, but don't fall behind either. Stay with it. Training is a marathon, not a quick sprint. Study what you are told to study and focus on getting through the next test.

Last and not least, I am not big on studying in groups at all to be honest. It can lead to distractions, but occasionally find a group of folks that you know are in the books and get together for the occasional review sessions that way you can pick things up that you may have overlooked. What helped me with flows and call outs where helping folks that observing me and my partner learn their flows and call outs. That reenforced the information for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really sure who all is going home during training, if you don't get positive space and aren't in CASS that's a risky bet. If they pay you and give you a hotel for the entire course, just stay local and find something fun to do to decompress.
Eh, I had at least 1 4 day weekend during new hire and upgrade that I would go home for a couple days during, left plenty of time to leave an extra day to get back. But a 2 day weekend I wouldn't risk, and I definitely wouldn't do it as a new hire who wasn't in CASS yet.

I know at my company they give you the option to observe other people's sim sessions as well if you ask them. Not sure how I feel about it for the person in the sim since it could be an extra "pressure" knowing people are watching, but it could be helpful if you're struggling with something in your own sims.

Going home - depends if company provides positive space or not. For us it was positive space there and back if scheduled off for three or more days. I used it, some dudes didn't. Two days off - I'd just stay there and sleep in.

Going home - depends if company provides positive space or not. For us it was positive space there and back if scheduled off for three or more days. I used it, some dudes didn't. Two days off - I'd just stay there and sleep in.
Appleton to Chicago...I'm taking my car! lol

Something else you might have to work through is that training is your full time job.

So if you’re married to someone who insists you pick up the phone immediately and wants to know where you left the remote, why the clock on the microwave keeps flashing zero or “OMG, then Kelly told Ronnie that Bill said that like what?” you may want to start having the conversation now about what constitutes an emergency and how brain dead and lifeless you’re going to be after a simulator training session.

I had a simulator partner that was going through this a few years ago and it was heavily disruptive and non-conducive to the mantra of “cooperate and graduate”.

Don’t be “that guy.”

The key is to know when and how to be "that guy".

Net net, on a good minus bad earnings chart, "That Guy" is a bit akin to the Catholic Church (which, btw, created innumerable creative methods for dealing with "that guy" challenges of it's own; thankfully, none of which were wholly successful).

As much pain an annoyance as "that guy" can be, almost every single advancement and improvement in the human condition has been dependent on some form or another of "that guy".

The key is to know when and how to be "that guy".

Net net, on a good minus bad earnings chart, "That Guy" is a bit akin to the Catholic Church (which, btw, created innumerable creative methods for dealing with "that guy" challenges of it's own; thankfully, none of which were wholly successful).

As much pain an annoyance as "that guy" can be, almost every single advancement and improvement in the human condition has been dependent on some form or another of "that guy".
Our "that guy" was just slow. Very very very slow. Not dumb or ignorant, but needed to hear everything three times from different angles to go "Aaaaahhhhh!".
Thankfully only did the basic indoc with him in the class, my buddy ended up being sim partners with him. I would have quit.
Then there was a guy getting in a fistfight in a box. Rumor was he got fired. Apparently just got a "career talk day" out of it and got fired later, after a fight with LCA. Definitely don't be that guy.

Our "that guy" was just slow. Very very very slow. Not dumb or ignorant, but needed to hear everything three times from different angles to go "Aaaaahhhhh!".
Thankfully only did the basic indoc with him in the class, my buddy ended up being sim partners with him. I would have quit.
Then there was a guy getting in a fistfight in a box. Rumor was he got fired. Apparently just got a "career talk day" out of it and got fired later, after a fight with LCA. Definitely don't be that guy.
Our "that guy" immediately and loudly complained about his assigned sim partner's (who speaks perfect English btw) "thick accent" in front of the entire class then was perplexed why he couldn't have the most prime sim slot while being the most junior person in class.

Our "that guy" immediately and loudly complained about his assigned sim partner's (who speaks perfect English btw) "thick accent" in front of the entire class then was perplexed why he couldn't have the most prime sim slot while being the most junior person in class.
My sim partner was the “When does the company get us our crashpads?” when he found out he was going to Chicago. You can’t make this stuff up.

When asked "Any questions?" don't say "Ever wonder why they call 'em sperm whales?"
Even innocent "Do you really think we went to the moon?" got me a 20 min lecture on how he thinks we didn't.
Other than that -
View attachment 43996
#triggered I know exactly where you're sitting in this photo.....did you use a conserve coupon towards your beer?

#triggered I know exactly where you're sitting in this photo.....did you use a conserve coupon towards your beer?
Well duuuuh
PS I forget what hefeweizen it was that I was getting there, but the coupon doesn't cover the whole thing.
"Do you guys accept expired coupons?"
"The date on it has to be current"
"Ok, cool, don't look at the date then, there ya go"

Last edited:
Well duuuuh
PS I forget what hefeweizen it was that I was getting there, but the coupon doesn't cover the whole thing.
"Do you guys accept expired coupons?"
"The date on it has to be current"
"Ok, cool, don't look at the date then, there ya go"
They didn't have a hef on draft when I was last there. The ipa was my go to. The skinny girl who works there is a bit of a space cadet, but she always took my expired coupons no questions asked, so I always way overtipped her.

Back