SUPER SONIC!

f8760-1510398243-800.jpg

Missed this the first time around:

"Boom, which is working with Rolls-Royce, the British jet engine maker, said its plane would be more efficient than the Concorde; United estimates it will be 75 percent more efficient."

"Efficient" is a load-bearing word in that sentence. Does it mean time ("productivity")? Does it mean fuel (per passenger? per mile?)?

For fuel only, a quick search of the internet tells me the fuel/per passenger-mile for that Concorde† was somewhere between 3.5x to 4.8x more than a "747" ... unsure if they meant a SP with JT9Ds or a domestic-config -400, per pax-mile etc.; hence some of that range of values.

It's gonna be slower than that Concorde, so no 75% improvement there. If it's all fuel, a 75% reduction means it will have about the same burn as a 747 in some form.

†Some former-UK people get really weird about insisting that it's not "a Concorde" or "the Concorde," but only Concorde. These are the same people that insist on correcting someone when they say an engine is "water cooled" to clarify that they mean "glycol cooled" (no putz, I mean the blessed queen mother waded into the Thames before hurrying over to the workshop to wring-out her petticoat into your beloved Merlin's coolant reservoir or w/e). So I'm calling it "that Concorde."

Some former-UK people get really weird about insisting that it's not "a Concorde" or "the Concorde," but only Concorde.
It's irritating when the Limeys call many planes "aircrafts". The word "aircraft" is already plural!
They call it "maths" and not math, but it's "sport" and not sports. All that warm beer must have them confused, they think "pants" are underwear!

I'm the li'l ole lone beltloader, fruitlessly looking for an underwing cargo door.

Or maybe either the jetway for Gate 125 parked on top of the lead-in line, or the jetway for Gate 128 that is extended so far out and over as to both block Gate 127 while still hanging the ass-end of a jet over the lanes of surface vehicle traffic. Don't they know what those heathen New York truckers did to that Concorde they got for the Intrepid museum?!

Back