SUPER SONIC!

Who would bid that?

Why get paid 3.5 hrs for EWR to Europe when the same job would pay 7 hrs on a 767/777/787?

It would take a certain ego to bid that and get paid less and have to work more days to cover monthly pay.

Unless it pays $600/hr because it's the eleeeeet supersoinic plane for the eleeeeet pilots.

The advertised range is 4250NM, unless that changes (i.e an ER variant) they couldn't achieve SFO-NRT (4453NM still air great circle), just saying...
Any refueling stop would negate any speed advantage for the mucho $$$$ they are probably going to charge IMO.

I'm almost certain I have heard "productivity" as one of the levers in negotiating pay scales.

Which is also one more reason that "$100 per trip" is absolute hokum. A faster trip is more valuable to a customer and the energy cost per seat will be me much higher than a subsonic widebody (that's just fisics).

Unless they blackout the sky with these things -- a great story to tell for VC funding -- a high-speed, first-class-sized seat will be precious and priced accordingly. There's a reason only about 15%-20% of cabin space is first class seats: because that's all they can typically fill with all the revenue shaping in christendom.

So productivity: do you want 55 seats at $100 being the driver for crew pay, or 55 seats at $4000?

1622750725888.png

As someone whose livelihood is largely supported by people willing to pay a substantial premium for substantially reduced travel time and substantially increased personal flexibility, I can see the potential for a much downsized version of this concept. There are people/companies that spend exorbitant amounts of money on large-cabin Gulfstreams, Globals, Falcons, etc., and do so for long range international travel. I could see a portion of that market being willing to increase their cost by a factor of “X”, in return for a reduction of non-productive travel time of “Y”. Just needs someone smarter than me to calculate “X” and “Y”....

Just needs someone smarter than me to calculate “X” and “Y”....

Remember when that CEO had a second, empty Global Express routinely follow them around on a trip in case the first jet became unavailable?

Putting aside the potential dispatch issues of a low-production-rate large supersonic business jet, I think the math is easy. :)

Last edited:
Who would bid that?

Why get paid 3.5 hrs for EWR to Europe when the same job would pay 7 hrs on a 767/777/787?

It would take a certain ego to bid that and get paid less and have to work more days to cover monthly pay.
Said no Concorde pilot ever.

Remember when that CEO had a second, empty Global Express routinely follow them around on a trip in case the first jet became unavailable?

Putting aside the potential dispatch issues of a low-production-rate large supersonic business jet, I think the math is easy. :)
LOL can confirm I saw this once at SJC.

Last edited:

Concorde had a spare as part of the plan. Must Have been excruciating to have 50% of your revenue capacity ”spoiled” constantly.

How fast are The latest Gulfstreams? They’re nearly transonic if I remember right. Just park it at .93 and enjoy yourself for just slightly longer than the Boom plane.

Back