Sunscreen when flying?

Cris

flying bus driver
I am in high school working on my private license. I noticed my CFI wears sunscreen every time we go up - even on a typical cloudy Seattle day. He told me that there is an increased risk for skin cancer when you fly. I am used to being careful about sun- my mother passed from melanoma and a greater risk of it runs in my family. With that being said, would wearing sunscreen everyday I go up be good - or is it not as necessary?

I didn't used to wear it, but after 6 years in the right seat I noticed a bit of sun damage on the right side of my face. It was hard to build it into my morning routine, but I've already noticed a bit of a difference.

Never really thought about using sunscreen, and I do not know anyone else who applies it before flights. There was a news-piece a few months ago about a trucker whose face was virtually seared by solar energy striking one side of his face after several decades of driving. I don't know any pilots which suffer from anything like that. In an airplane more often than not you are changing course, and your trips will not last as long.

I also make sure to intake numerous sources of antioxidants from fruit, vegetables, tea and coffee. I wonder whether those make a difference in the long run.

Last edited:
There was a news-piece a few months ago about a trucker whose face was virtually seared by solar energy striking one side of his face after several decades of driving. I don't know any pilots which suffer from anything like that.

I do. Look at some of these old guys who have been airline Captains for years...or more specifically, look at their left arm. Big time melanoma. And sometimes cancerous (or non-cancerous) moles, skin tags, etc...

I wear it all the time when I fly...at least on my arms, hands, neck, and lower face.

I do. Look at some of these old guys who have been airline Captains for years...or more specifically, look at their left arm. Big time melanoma. And sometimes cancerous (or non-cancerous) moles, skin tags, etc...

I wear it all the time when I fly...at least on my arms, hands, neck, and lower face.

Oh, I see.... :tinfoil: Well, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get me some suncreen now.

Back