Sully's New Book

There is something I just don't get. If he was so morally attracted to the idea of saving live, wouldnt he have become a police officer? It just doesnt make sense how someone would become an airline pilot with the mindset of trying to save lives.

I'm just guessing, but I think the idea is that he felt an increased drive to "save lives" after his father commited suicide in 1995...well after he was already deeply involved in aviation. Perhaps his father's death was the impetus to start his safety consulting firm...which apparently addresses safety in general, not just aviation safety.

Anyway, I'm definitely interested in buying the book. Should be a facinating biography - kinda like "Captain", only far more meaningful, insightful, and real. I'm particularly intriqued by these two sentences from the NY Daily News article:

The theme running through Sullenberger's memoir is that what counts isn't what he did in those five minutes in the cockpit, but how he spent the 57 years leading up to them.

"We need to try to do the right thing every time, to perform at our best, because we never know which moment in our lives we'll be judged on," he writes.

If those aren't words to live by, I don't know what are.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_...et_pain_behind_his_heroism.html#ixzz0OglpxKSd

I'm going to buy it and send it to my Westie friend just to see him self-implode! :)

I'm of the belief that everyone's life, if well written, has the potential for being a fascinating story. Unfortunately, most of us lack the single incident that gains international attention from which that story can be marketed.

Having said that, most people will never experience the type of fear that he did and even fewer would exhibit the grace under pressure which aided in the utmost positive outcome, given the circumstances.

I would imagine his story will provide a lot of folks with some inspiration that everyone can use from time to time. If he can make $1 or 2 from his .02, I say good on him.

Then again, I'm a coupla glasses of Chianti into the evening, so what do I know.

He didn't say he wanted to fine the working man for going 10 over the limit for a living... people become cops because they got picked on in highschool - not for saving people.

I am pretty sure he was in the military... I don't question his morals or his character. I will definately buy this book.

...and? At least it's about a productive member of society and not some dysfunctional, drug-addled "celebrity."

I completely agree. This is the problem we are dealing with in society today, specifically immature children flying in cockpits around the US. They refuse to take their profession seriously, treat their peers without respect, and don't do their job without professionalism. Why? Because it's all about them.

Relative to what????? Not being able to manage money? I live in the fourth biggest city in the nation and make nowhere near 125k. Yet I own both our paid off cars, no credit card debt, and put money in savings every month. It doesn't matter if you make 20k or 200k, if you dont live between your means it your own fault. Would I have more and better stuff if I made 125k? Hell yea.. But it would still remain in my means.

In San Diego, $125K doesn't go that far...fed tax, state tax, average home (things have changed a bit as of late), city tax, maybe a car, etc, etc. Is it better than earning $50k...of course, but does it make you well-off in that particular area? I made slightly more than that as an O-4, military pilot, on the bonus, in San Diego. It's not all that, even within your means. You're not poor but not exactly well off either. I have friends who are well off and they make quite a bit more than $125K...like I said, it's all relative.

Relative to what????? Not being able to manage money? I live in the fourth biggest city in the nation and make nowhere near 125k. Yet I own both our paid off cars, no credit card debt, and put money in savings every month. It doesn't matter if you make 20k or 200k, if you dont live between your means it your own fault. Would I have more and better stuff if I made 125k? Hell yea.. But it would still remain in my means.

First off - I grew up in Houston, I love Houston, and it is the center of the universe as far as I am concerned. In fact, my daughter asked me what part of Texas I liked best today and I told her the part between the Houston Ship Channel and Beaumont/Port Arthur - all of the beautiful refineries making useful products out of crude. That part of Texas really is "God's Country" - smells good too...smells like money.

That said, you are a little skewed in your thinking. Yes, Houston is a big city - but you can not compare it to LA, NY and Chicago in terms of cost of living - no state income tax, home values are extremely cheap, etc. Texas in general and Houston in specific has incredibly low costs of living. $125k in NY, LA or Chicago is much less doable but in Houston allows a really nice life.

What would be your property (school, property, whatever) tax on say a $400K house in Houston?

In San Diego, $125K doesn't go that far...fed tax, state tax, average home (things have changed a bit as of late), city tax, maybe a car, etc, etc. Is it better than earning $50k...of course, but does it make you well-off in that particular area? I made slightly more than that as an O-4, military pilot, on the bonus, in San Diego. It's not all that, even within your means. You're not poor but not exactly well off either. I have friends who are well off and they make quite a bit more than $125K...like I said, it's all relative.

That's for sure!! Not to mention that Sully was considering all this as he's reaching retirement age, which adds a whole new perspective to the financial equation. Not knowing what his retirement package was/is like after all the industry turmoil - particularly at USAirways, I couldn't speak as to his financial well being. But if he and his wife are looking at the books and what they will have to live on for the Golden Years, living in CA may not have been an attractive financial move over the long term. Lots of variables to consider.

What would be your property (school, property, whatever) tax on say a $400K hour in Houston?

Do you mean home?? Step. away. from. the. beer. Taylor. :D

A $400k Home in Houston is a HUGE, btw. I had a 5br/3 1/2 bath in HOU for $200K and if I remember correctly my taxes were about $8k/year. Some might say that's a lot, but then again, there's no income tax there!

Yow! That's more than I pay for state income + property with a much higher valuation!

When I lived in San Diego, the total cost with home, HOA, city tax, real estate tax was around $3000 monthly. This wasn't a new home or a big home, a 1950 square foot, 3 bedroom home in an average income area for San Diego. I guess I could have live in the ghetto but for my family's sake, wasn't going to happen. I certainly wasn't poor but on $125K, don't expect montly trips to Paris or the top suite in Vegas :) Now I'm out of state military so I didn't pay state income tax or the ridiculous fee's that accompany CA living....like the car registration fee's. Civilian pays the state tax, federal tax, etc.

Yow! That's more than I pay for state income + property with a much higher valuation!

I sure hope so!! No reason you should have to put up with that crazy AZ heat for anything more! :) Mine could have been substantially less. A quick search for a calculator for my property in 2005 shows something around $5k but I don't remember it being that low.

Regardless, in CA it's much higher - not to mention the outrageous HOA fees and taxes on taxes. It's outta control. Bunk22 is right on.

I'm from California, grew up there, but I'm retiring in Florida or Texas. I'm in Korea for 10 more months but going to Kingsville, Texas for my last tour. I like the whole no state tax thing, amongst other things.

The cover is great, though you think there'd be a huge American flag waving in the background and a bald eagle resting on his shoulder.

I completely agree. This is the problem we are dealing with in society today, specifically immature children flying in cockpits around the US. They refuse to take their profession seriously, treat their peers without respect, and don't do their job without professionalism. Why? Because it's all about them.

Are you sure you want to make the "it's all about them" argument when you're talking about other pilots vs an egomaniancal mercenary like Chesney Sullenberger?? This guy was running around cutting self promotional deals with the media before his uni was dry.
What a hero!!
Rather than comparing Chesney to the everyday pilot why not compare him and his pre/during/post incident behavior with those pilots who faced similar or FAR WORSE and saved the lives of their passengers?? A Dave Cronin...an Al Haynes, etc.
Chesney is the perfect made by the media hero for today's shallow self absorbed world.
He should have named his book - It's All About Me

Back