Sully's New Book

Yow! That's more than I pay for state income + property with a much higher valuation!

Property value is much lower here, so you get a lot more bang for your buck. In the suburbs of Dallas, you can have a mansion for $500k.

http://www.trulia.com/property/1081831027-2500-Jessica-Dr-Mansfield-TX-76063

17 aces of land and 5100 sq. feet.

http://www.trulia.com/property/38492372-412-Waterlane-Dr-Mansfield-TX-76063

4200 sq. feet

Just a couple of examples.

Compare that to California, where you are lucky to get a 1500 sq. foot house for $600k.

Property value is much lower here, so you get a lot more bang for your buck. In the suburbs of Dallas, you can have a mansion for $500k.

http://www.trulia.com/property/1081831027-2500-Jessica-Dr-Mansfield-TX-76063

17 aces of land and 5100 sq. feet.

http://www.trulia.com/property/38492372-412-Waterlane-Dr-Mansfield-TX-76063

4200 sq. feet

Just a couple of examples.

Compare that to California, where you are lucky to get a 1500 sq. foot house for $600k.

Or, compare to KC (which people taut as having a low cost of living).

My parents house in Plano, TX - about 5,000 sq. ft. Pool, three car garage. 18 years old. around $350. Small lot.

My house in Leawood, KS - 2,500 sq. ft, no pool, little over half acre corner lot, 47 years old - around $350k.

My parents pay more for utilities (more to heat and cool), higher property taxes.

I pay about 3/4 of the property taxes, half the house, state income tax...and have to live in KS. Leawood is an ok area, but Plano is as well. Much better deal living in Texas.

My house in Kingwood, TX (North Houston) = 1600sqft, $110,000, taxes $3600 and increasing, insurance $2400 for a mortgage payment of over $1300 a month.

My house in Newnan, GA (South Atlanta) = 2400sqft, $239,000 ($180,000 financed), taxes $1900, insurance $600 for a mortgage payment of $1100.

Even with Georgia state income tax I pay way less here than in Texas and get more for my money. Sorry, Houston is an armpit IMHO. I did have a lot of fun there but, that was because I had a very large group of friends and support group.

Are you sure you want to make the "it's all about them" argument when you're talking about other pilots vs an egomaniancal mercenary like Chesney Sullenberger?? This guy was running around cutting self promotional deals with the media before his uni was dry.
He should have named his book - It's All About Me

What have you done that warrants a story, an article, a book? Maybe you have an event we would like to read about.

And why the antipathy towards someone making money from his 'life story'? (sorry to have to use that term but it was popular with the Sotomayor hearings)

Interesting that the book has not been published, is probably not even in the final draft and the gripes are growing. Amusing.

I hope Sully succeeds. I hope Favre succeeds. Even Vick. I like it when individuals are a success.

Hoping they fail. ????

Oh no....I like successes too. Even if I don't like them. Let's look at Paris Hilton. Everyone bad mouths her, she makes all these social "faux paux" yet she lives a socialite lifestyle that all the "naysayers" are paying for. Or look at the guy from American Idol, Will Hung. I never watched that show, but I know who he is, and I think it's great he got his 15 minutes.

I wish I could find my gravy train.

Just the grumbling has people talking about the book, good or bad, they're talking about it.

The worst to me, are people that really are super talented and smart, yet get no accolades, or don't until it's past the time when they deserve them.

The worst to me, are people that really are super talented and smart, yet get no accolades, or don't until it's past the time when they deserve them.

It is like two old friends of mine. One flew a late tour in Europe and said he never saw any of the Luftwaffe and the other flew in the Pacific and said he almost every sortie had a chance to mix it up.

Both volunteered. Both flew fighters. One is an ace. One just has his log book. Both are interesting old guys.

Relative to what????? Not being able to manage money? I live in the fourth biggest city in the nation and make nowhere near 125k. Yet I own both our paid off cars, no credit card debt, and put money in savings every month. It doesn't matter if you make 20k or 200k, if you dont live between your means it your own fault. Would I have more and better stuff if I made 125k? Hell yea.. But it would still remain in my means.

Take a 50% pay cut then talk.

Take a 50% pay cut then talk.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt! :) It ain't easy at all.

Luckily, we didn't have kids. If we did, like a lot of my co-workers did, it'd have been a much different situation.

Luckily, we didn't have kids. If we did, like a lot of my co-workers did, it'd have been a much different situation.

Yeah, like losing your house and having to move & uproot your 2 year old & 6 month old baby? Been there done that.... :cool:

Yeah I took a 40% cut. 3 months after I bought a house and the wife quit her job to relocate. If we had car payments I think we would've foreclosed.

Are you sure you want to make the "it's all about them" argument when you're talking about other pilots vs an egomaniancal mercenary like Chesney Sullenberger?? This guy was running around cutting self promotional deals with the media before his uni was dry.
What a hero!!
Rather than comparing Chesney to the everyday pilot why not compare him and his pre/during/post incident behavior with those pilots who faced similar or FAR WORSE and saved the lives of their passengers?? A Dave Cronin...an Al Haynes, etc.
Chesney is the perfect made by the media hero for today's shallow self absorbed world.
He should have named his book - It's All About Me

First off, you and I both know what todays pilot group is all about. It is all about me. In the last 3 years of jumpseating across the country, I've never met such professional, courteous, and respectful pilots. Whether its AA, UA, or DAL. Any one of these guys could have sat there and bitched about their life the entire flight. They didn't. Never. Not once. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with me being there, but isn't that the whole point?

Being a professional pilot, you refrain from making inappropriate comments at the wrong time. Do you know how many times I've turned red when I've had a jumpseater and my regional FO has brought up an inappropriate subject? This younger generation just doesn't get it. Hopefully some will get it at some point, because if they don't, were in a heap of trouble as a society and profession.

Secondly, what's the difference between what he is doing, and what a lot of other pilots are doing? Supplementing their income. I do it, I know most guys are trying to do it, the difference is some are successful and some aren't. You shouldn't have any animosity towards him or your fellow peers because of their fortunes or success.

Good for him. I hope he succeeds. It will set an example to the rest of us that maybe its time we stopped pounding the sand and did something about our unhappiness. I'm not advocating accepting low wages, we will continue to improve conditions, but don't put someone down for their success.

I hope Sully succeeds. I hope Favre succeeds. Even Vick. I like it when individuals are a success.

Hoping they fail. ????

Maybe he's part of the media group? Build them up, and help bring them down. Makes for good ratings. Mark my words, the media is waiting for something bad to happen to this guy so they can jump on the hero.

I hope this never comes true.

A thick, meaty pilot moustache used to be called an "Alpa'stache" but since they went with USAPA, I suppose it's a "USAPA'stache" now.

2009-01-19-Sully.jpg

Standard airline pilot stuff. Do they teach you to grow one during IOE?

Mine's been gone for a few years!

And indeed, it's part of indoc.

Back