Sully's New Book

Exactly right Henri. He did his job extremely well.
And that's ALL Chesney did, his JOB.

Actually, the event was the summation of many factors, not the least is good CRM and SA. Last leg of a 4 day trip. New guy just off IOE in the right seat. The birds hit and the crew, having worked together for 4 days, comes up with a division of tasks, evaluates options and begins implementing solution. All in the span of less than 3-5 minutes.

So, let's put a different guy in the left seat. One that does not have leadership skills to help form a good, functioning crew. Factors change. Event changes.

And not having been in the seat, are you sure you would have been able to discount the fields (LGA, TEB, etc) as quickly?

Saying it was HIS JOB takes in a lot of territory and is dismissive of the facts that other pilots have been presented events and performed poorly. The Greek 737, Helios, comes to mind.

Sadly Chesney's ego does not allow for a simple thank you. He's going to pimp every dime on his way to knighthood ...for simply doing his job.

No one says that he is an altruist but 'pimp'? Strong words.

Forgive me but I checked your profile and it makes me wonder... exactly what experience do you have that allows you to make such harsh judgements?

Actually, the event was the summation of many factors, not the least is good CRM and SA. Last leg of a 4 day trip. New guy just off IOE in the right seat. The birds hit and the crew, having worked together for 4 days, comes up with a division of tasks, evaluates options and begins implementing solution. All in the span of less than 3-5 minutes.

So, let's put a different guy in the left seat. One that does not have leadership skills to help form a good, functioning crew. Factors change. Event changes.

And not having been in the seat, are you sure you would have been able to discount the fields (LGA, TEB, etc) as quickly?

Saying it was HIS JOB takes in a lot of territory and is dismissive of the facts that other pilots have been presented events and performed poorly. The Greek 737, Helios, comes to mind.

Excellent points. Thus armchairing from your computer screen as a another day doesn't quite equate to have been there, easily would have done that.

Forgive me but I checked your profile and it makes me wonder... exactly what experience do you have that allows you to make such harsh judgements?

Typical I think. Everyone on the net is an expert...let alone judge a man's character from this.

A lot of the posts I'm reading suggest that "any" Airways pilot could have pulled off the same thing. Referring to Calcapt's thread about "Bobs" incident, its evident that the split second decisions are the ones that decide the whole outcome, and those vary by individual. Though I'm sure the thought process with most pilots would be similar during the ordeal, I find it hard to believe that we can match any decision or thought Sully had with what any other captain would have been thinking at that second. Could those decisions vary between individual pilots enough to change the outcome of the incident? Maybe, maybe not. All we can do is speculate the "what ifs". Perhaps any US Airbus captain could have ditched in the Hudson, perhaps not everyone would have survived if the situation was slightly different. But what we do know is that Sully faced the challenge and got the job done.

Just some food for thought.

Back