Study Hours Per Week

Finished Basics today...got a 99 on my final. didnt really study that much throughout the last 5 weeks. maybe 2 hours for each Block Test, and about 2 hours for the final. dont worry about basics because its very easy...worry about Phase 2, where it gets HARD

Finished Basics today...got a 99 on my final. didnt really study that much throughout the last 5 weeks. maybe 2 hours for each Block Test, and about 2 hours for the final. dont worry about basics because its very easy...worry about Phase 2, where it gets HARD

Considering the fact that exactly half of my class just failed the Block 1 test today, I think that we all learned that we need to study a WHOLE LOT MORE; my study group studied 3 hours the day before, and none of us studied in between, we all passed (I did by God's grace) and if this is considered "EASY" (I'm a pilot and I'm saying this), hell I don't know if we need to go any farther. There is just WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION being thrown at us at one time!!!!!!!!

Considering the fact that exactly half of my class just failed the Block 1 test today, I think that we all learned that we need to study a WHOLE LOT MORE; my study group studied 3 hours the day before, and none of us studied in between, we all passed (I did by God's grace) and if this is considered "EASY" (I'm a pilot and I'm saying this), hell I don't know if we need to go any farther. There is just WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION being thrown at us at one time!!!!!!!!

Wow....basics is very easy. If you pay attention and just review 30 minutes each day you will be FINE. I feel really bad for you and your class. If you think they are throwing to much at you in basics (especially in block one...LOL) you are in for a treat when you get to phase 2.

Wow....basics is very easy. If you pay attention and just review 30 minutes each day you will be FINE. I feel really bad for you and your class. If you think they are throwing to much at you in basics (especially in block one...LOL) you are in for a treat when you get to phase 2.

I hope we don't ruin the 96% pass rate or whatever it is, b/c the way it's looking now, whew.....

My husband was saying that half of his class failed the block one test as well. He never could figure out why they made that one so hard and with so much information. The rest was a bit more of smooth sailing in basic.

Next week my husband has his written PV on Non-radar. He is studying a LOT more than he ever did in basic. He studies with a group at least 1 day in the weekend, sometimes both days. He also has 2-3 study groups in the week. Tomorrow there is a study group in which the teacher is "hosting" to help everyone. My husband is studying about 10 hours a week if not more. He has had 2 different teachers at 2 different times tell him he is doing an excellent job, he is in the top students for the class and he is above the average for where students normally are at this point...he still feels like he doesn't know the stuff like he should and still messes up here and there.

The top students in the class are the ones spending the time studying, especially on weekends. They usually will study for 2-3 hours then they will rent a movie, grab some pizza and beers and just hang out. The teachers this last week gave a chew out to all the students in class telling them they needed to get their butts out of the "party mindset" and realize that this is a career and they need to study like it is a career. There have been a lot more announcements of study groups since that chew out!

My husband was saying that half of his class failed the block one test as well. He never could figure out why they made that one so hard and with so much information. The rest was a bit more of smooth sailing in basic.

Next week my husband has his written PV on Non-radar. He is studying a LOT more than he ever did in basic. He studies with a group at least 1 day in the weekend, sometimes both days. He also has 2-3 study groups in the week. Tomorrow there is a study group in which the teacher is "hosting" to help everyone. My husband is studying about 10 hours a week if not more. He has had 2 different teachers at 2 different times tell him he is doing an excellent job, he is in the top students for the class and he is above the average for where students normally are at this point...he still feels like he doesn't know the stuff like he should and still messes up here and there.

The top students in the class are the ones spending the time studying, especially on weekends. They usually will study for 2-3 hours then they will rent a movie, grab some pizza and beers and just hang out. The teachers this last week gave a chew out to all the students in class telling them they needed to get their butts out of the "party mindset" and realize that this is a career and they need to study like it is a career. There have been a lot more announcements of study groups since that chew out!

Today, I think most of them passed the re-take, and I hope that will be the case for our class (that things get smoother); as for myself I'm having to push myself a lot harder then I ever have. I'm sure I speak for most of the class when I say that, and to think things only get harder from here. Geez :banghead:

I see alot of people talking about studying about enroute and basics. Any word on studying and difficulty of tower cab?

I see alot of people talking about studying about enroute and basics. Any word on studying and difficulty of tower cab?

Well I don't know how tough it will be... but I am going to give it everything I have.. So if you or anyone else in the March 5 Terminal Basics class wants to study together let me know... :rolleyes:

Tower cab has lot of phraseology you must memorize by day 12 (the end of academics) as well as about 30 aircraft types, and srs categories (1, 2 or 3) as well as wake turbulence classes (S, S+, L or H) associated with each aircraft. You absolutely have to study, most effectively with a group. Our class is having troubles with the phraseology so people are practicing that the most.

Well I don't know how tough it will be... but I am going to give it everything I have.. So if you or anyone else in the March 5 Terminal Basics class wants to study together let me know... :rolleyes:

I got here yesterday. Im at Isola Bella. You?

Tower cab has lot of phraseology you must memorize by day 12 (the end of academics) as well as about 30 aircraft types, and srs categories (1, 2 or 3) as well as wake turbulence classes (S, S+, L or H) associated with each aircraft. You absolutely have to study, most effectively with a group. Our class is having troubles with the phraseology so people are practicing that the most.

My husband said that phraseology was one of the hardest things in enroute too. Once he got that down, things have became a LOT easier (not easy...just easier).

My husband said that phraseology was one of the hardest things in enroute too. Once he got that down, things have became a LOT easier (not easy...just easier).
And you people better not pronounce it "phrasEEology" or I will punch you in the kidneys... ;)

Seriously, though. It makes you sound stoopid.

So is there a textbook they give you for class? If so I've never really heard much talk about it here. Or do you pretty much just study all the notes you take during class? Or is stuff online?

I asked my hubby about the book and his response was, "I don't think so". :) I have never heard of one and I think that if there was one it would be golden and talked about all over the place like the AT-SAT study guide/book.

So is there a textbook they give you for class? If so I've never really heard much talk about it here. Or do you pretty much just study all the notes you take during class? Or is stuff online?
For basics? There's a booklet for every lesson, but they don't give everyone one. They have them in binders for use during class. But they give you a CD with PDFs of all of them.

For Tower phase 2, they actually give you the booklets.

Nice! well anyone know how I can get my hands on some of this stuff to get a headstart? Ive been a flight instructor for a couple years so im told shouldnt have to study too hard in basics so Id like to get a headstart.

Nice! well anyone know how I can get my hands on some of this stuff to get a headstart? Ive been a flight instructor for a couple years so im told shouldnt have to study too hard in basics so Id like to get a headstart.
It's better that you don't. The reference materials are confusing and without explanation you'll probably end up learning things incorrectly. You're better off just waiting.

Ok, thanks.

Then to those who have also been to college would you say the academy is "similar to college" or "quite different"?

Back