Student Equipment.

Heat2151

Hey Pilots,

So far we covered uniforms, headset's and reading material.

Any recomendations on FlightBags, Flight Computers and other student essentails, that will needed before the start of ground classes.?

Once again, I appreciate all the input.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Heat2151

Re: Student Equiptment.

For a flight computer you need the CR-3. I hated that thing at first, but now Ilike it better than the E6-B. For flying, you will have to have the GATS Jar for fuel testing. You may be able to get this cheaper than what FSI charges. Flight bags have to be black. I use one of the Cencal bags, but I had it before I started at FSI. Many students use Jeppesen bags as well. It is all personal preference. Other than that, you need the required books, which you can buy once you get here and receive the book/matterials list for each ground school class.

Is a CR-3 easier to use than E6-B.? And will we also need Jepp landing charts? or will the school provide this at orientation.? any advise on reading material that covers the weather, and anything else that is necessary.?

A black Jeppesen flight bags, any specific size.? Is it really necessary to pick up everything we need from the beginning or wait untill we actualy need it.? this is a broad question, but what's the general consensus.?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Heat2151

I'd also be interested in this information. On my tour I noticed what everyone was using (saw one blue flight bag) and did see a lot of CR-3s. The school has a small but well-equipped pilot shop, as expected, and prices are MSRP, just like most pilot shops.

At first a CR-3 seems more difficult to learn than an E6-B but I like it bettter now that I know how to use it. In reference to Jepp charts, I assume you are refering to approach plates for IFR work and, no, those are not provided. At FSI, never assume anything is provided free of cost. You are required to buy the Aviation Weather and Aviation Weather Services book which I think is published either by the FAA ot the Dept. of Transportation.

For flight bags . . . buy whatever size can hold your stuff. I buy things as I go. For each ground school class, you get a list of supplies/books needed. Many things overlap from class to class. You may end up buying useless things if you do it all at once. The pilot shop has everything you need, so buy as you go. It will save you money b/c you will realize that some things on the list you might not need.

I know what an E6B flight computer is, but I haven't seen a CR-3. What is the difference, and why is a CR-3 better?

Turk.

The computer side of the CR-3 is much like the E6-B but has more calculation options such as mach numbers and metric conversions. It is used in the same way as the E6-B. Thebig difference is on the wind side. Rather than having a flat piece and the circular disk like the E6-B for wind calculations it just uses one side of the disk. There is no sliding involved. You just turn the wheel for the wind calculations. Other than that, I would say go look at one and you'll see the difference.

KD,

I have seen these Flight Computers in calculator version that fit into a loose-leaf binder, are these recommended over those that are currently sold in the pilot shop at the school.?

How is it going with your ground program, and when do you start flying.?

Best Regards,
Heat2151

I was just going to ask the same question as Heat. Sporty's has electronic E6B flight computers that fit right in your binder, for $65. Wouldn't that be easier?

Turk.

Oh, and what about portable NAV/COM. Anyone carry them in case of a power failure in flight?

My tour guide at FSI indicated that electronic flight computers are discouraged, as are handheld GPS. I happen to agree, I need to learn the proper technique and not lean on technology as a crutch. When we make it to the twin engine planes, there are nifty Garmin GNS430 units waiting for us, quite a piece of equipment.

A lot of people have the electronic computers made by Sporty's. However, the school pretty much requires you to learn the CR-3 wizwheel. If you plan to be a CFI at FSI you are going to have to teach students how to use it. So, my feeling along with many others, is to learn it now. I will say, however, a lot of students use the electronic E6-B outside of ground school when planning flights b/c it is easier/faster. Although, I have practiced a lot on the CR-3 and find I am just as fast with that as I am with the electronic one. Lastly, on Private and Commercial checkrides, you will have to perform a diversion and the necessary calculations for one. If you whip out the electronic E6-B, the examiner is going to take the batteries out of it and say, "Now what are you going to do?" At that point, you are going to have to take out the whizwheel. We had a 4 hour class just to learn the CR-3 so plenty of time to learn is available.

Classis great so far! I finished Private Audit this week and start Commercial ground next week. That is a 3 week course. I meet with my FEMALE instructor tomorrow AM for a three hour orientation brief. We go over things like practice areas near Vero, the syllabus, training regulations, and aircraft systems. I plan to begin flying Monday and not stop unless ground school gets overwhelming.

My instructor seems good from when I met her and we talked. She has 900TT and has been instructing at FSI for almost a year. She has 2 other students slightly ahead of me in the process and she teaches 6 days a week, so that makes for a lot of flight time for me. So far, so good. FSI is a great place to learn to fly.

Wow, that was long!

More to come later......

I'm with you on this one. I guess it could be easy to get digitally dependent and become complacent with these potable GPS's and Flight Computers. It also would not hurt to "sweat it out" and become a more complete pilot.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Not to play devil's advocate... but my instructor pulled that same "your batteries have gone out" crap and I was prepared enough to have a spare pack of batteries in my flight bag! I do agree though with learning to use an E6-B/CR-3. I still carry both with me when I fly...in case my instructors say some other crap with my electronic E6-B is wrong! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

kdwilkes,

Nice to hear that your progress, is coming along rather nicely, and please keep us updated.

Now on the subject of IP's, provided that this individual is competent and professional, is gender an issue.?

I dont mean to open up a can of worms here, but dose it really make a difference if your CFI is Male or Female, or is this just an individual thing.?

Thanks and Best Rgeards,
Heat2151

My opinion, as well as my father's (he was a CFI for the Navy in Pensacola for six years) is that females are better. First, they seem to be more thorough than males. They come better prepared for lessons and seem to explain things better to the student. This proved to be true this AM when I met my instructor for an orientation brief. She had so much info to pass on to me, it was unbelievable. She explained things and was very open and responsive to my questions.

Now this may piss off some people...My feeling is that females may be better due to the following (again, only my opinion):

Given that aviation has historically been a male-dominated profession, females want to be better than male pilots and male CFI's. They want to prove that they can be good pilots and even the best, way better than males. Therefore, they are going to come more prepared to teach their students and look better in the eyes of their superiors.

This could be true, maybe not . . . But, right now that is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

"Not to play devil's advocate... but my instructor pulled that same "your batteries have gone out" crap and I was prepared enough to have a spare pack of batteries in my flight bag! I do agree though with learning to use an E6-B/CR-3. I still carry both with me when I fly...in case my instructors say some other crap with my electronic E6-B is wrong! "
First of all, your instructor probably wouldn't do it, they're usually pretty cool. We used to have a check pilot here who'd take it from you and say the batteries died while you were flying. I suppose you could keep them in your pocket, but what's the big deal with using the wiz-wheel? Ask Sherry Terrell (instructor goddess) to race you with her using a wiz-wheel. She's pretty darn fast. /ubbthreads/images/icons/ooo.gif

KD,

It's an honest and fair theory, but to be honest, I just hope that I end up with a highly competent IP, regardless of gender that will help me become a professional pilot. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I just got my package order and picked up my Flight Bag - a Black Jeppesen, an E6-B, and a few other items. I could not find any CR-3's, oh well I guess I'll have to wait until I get to VB. I wish that the shop on campus had a weblink, that way it would be easier to pick up what I need. I also noticed that they had other flight computers, including Trafic & holding patterns, cross wind, weather, are all these necessary.? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

But back to the subject of headset's, is their a major difference in the quality of a David Clark, a Bose and other generic brand that basically accomplish the same thing.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

I got a pair of David Clark 10-60s off of Ebay for around $200 and I like them a lot. They have a detachable cord which is kind of cool when you want to detach your cord. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I suppose that it's so that it's easy to switch to a different cord, e.g. a helicopter without having to get a whole other set... whatever, i'm babbling. my point being is that they're out there used too. Jetcareers.com has ruined my sleep patterns for the last week or so reading all of these posts!

Goodnight,
Dave

oh, yeah and in regards to noise reduction headphones, my instructor told me that he doesn't recommend them because you can't hear the engine which is sometimes very helpful when your trying to set the mixture or if the engine is running rough. I have to tend to agree with him on that, and with my 10-60s, the noise level is so low that I don't even mind it. The audio fidelity is pretty lame, mostly mid-range which is good for ATC, but as far as listening to a CD, forget it. I know that Bose and probably others have hi-fi stereo versions out there, but at this point, I couldn't imagine listening to a CD while I'm flying anyway.

Don't worry about the other flight computers. There is no need for them, at least not yet. I had my first flight yesterday. My instructor was great and she said I did well. That was good considering I haven't flown PPL manuevers since last August.

About the headset...I just bought a Lightspeed 20XL of the Internet on sale and new for $360 plus $15 two-day shipping. I used it yesterday and the ANC was awesome. I will never go back to a passive. You can still hear the engine a little, but if not, there is an easy switch to turn off the ANC. Invest they extra money and buy the ANC. It will save your ears in the long run. Trust me, my dad flew T-34s in the Navy without these and is now losing his hearing. He said your hearing is worrth the money down the road. An extra $300-$400 now or $2000 for hearing aids later?

Back