Student Equipment.

Re: Student Equiptment.

I played in a loud band for 10 years so maybe I've got built in ANR or would that be passive?

/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif
Dave

yeah but is it active or passive? I had an active role in it...

/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
Dave

/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif .. that's a good one.. lol /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

pavelump.

Man, talk about thread degredation, it started with advise on pilot supplies, IP gender, headset and now hearing loss. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif ,
funny how the world turns. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Dave, I could almost imagine, you getting yelled at by some poor air traffic controller, who has no sence of humor. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Best Regards,
Heat2151

KD,

Once again thanks for the feedback, I came across a website, and picked up a CR-3 (6"dia) for $23.99, now I dont know if this is a good deal, but that's the going rate on the site.

And as for the headset's, I think I'm going with something decent and I hope it's good enough, the rest of them are very expensive $300 to $500 for david clarks and bose, that's too much in my book.

Soon to be a poor, up and coming Flight Student, and aspiring First Officer. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Best Regards,
Heat2151

FSI Regulars,

How common is it for students to have a handheld Nav/Com? Are they even necessary?

The reason I'm asking is that Sporty's has cut the price of their's by $120 (Only $275 now), and if it would be cheaper for me to get it now, might as well.

Thanks

I'd say that the hand held Nav/Com is pretty common at FSI....In general I'd say high ticket items are common at the school, maybe a testament to the bookstore saleswomen!? I didn't have the handheld navcom and got by fine. There are many who use them to listen to the Tower or Miami Center in order to sharpen their communication skills. And of course there is some level of redundency if you bring a handheld but I always figured if I lost my comm I could divert to any of the hundred uncontrolled fields around Florida or even try my luck with the light gun signals at Vero. I'd go with the nav/com before a hand held GPS......

Baronman,

So these Nav/Com's come in handy, but I take it that these would not go well on the checkrides.? But why would you go for the Nav/Com over a GPS.?

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Well, they won't say anything about a handheld navcom on a checkride. 99% of the time you see the navcoms tucked away in a flight bag. I've already posted quite a bit about my feelings regarding hand held GPS and initial flight training, that being now is your oportunity to sharpen your pilotage/dead reckoning and basic radio navigation skills, not plugging in an identifier and hitting direct twice. A handheld GPS is more expensive then the handheld navcom and I think the probability of a com failure is more daunting than getting lost in FLorida where there are two coasts and a ton of VORs just in case....

Which post covered the headsets and uniforms, I've searched the posts and could find anything. I am about to purchase a headset and would like to know what others are using.

Thanks

kdwilkes,

Recently ordered a lightspeed 20XL online. I hope it works out for the long run.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

I've had my 20XL for two weeks and have been flying everyday with it and no complaints. In fact, I brag about it now when people ask!

I just got the ANR Denali headset (blue) a couple of days ago. I haven't flown in them yet but I wore them around the house for a couple of hours (looking quite stupid I might add)...and they were also very comfortable and light.

I'm sure my family thought I was nuts watching TV while wearing a headset...and the neighbors must have laughed their buts off when I went outside to administer the very scientific lawnmower test of the ANR /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif !!!

Back