Stop the Whipsaw

No need to bash on Ramen. Seriously, there is a new alternative and its cheap and very tasty. Ask Derg

Oh, I used to dress the heck out of some Ramen. Used fresh veggies, various meats and such. Did it all up in a stir fry pan. Generally used very, very little of the seasoning packet.

No need to bash on Ramen. Seriously, there is a new alternative and its cheap and very tasty. Ask Derg

hs_pic_main.png

Oh hell yes.

All Ramen isn't created equal. I eat that stuff in the pilot lounge somedays as I absolutely loathe the food options in the terminal.

Don't be diss'in the Bowl Noodle. Not up in here. NOT UP IN HERE! :)

(PS, the "Spicy Chicken" is better)

I sampled some "Japanese" noodles that the Costco lady was handing out last night, they were really good. Tasted like lo mein to me. I think they were $2/serving. I forget the name though.

The fact that a bunch of pilots insist, repeatedly, on blaming and demeaning the very people that are responsible for their salary shows some things. It shows first of all how clueless those that do this are. Secondly, it bodes ill for the future as this same class of clueless person are the people that will be making up the MEC's, negotiating future contracts, etc. You are seriously misplacing blame for your predicament. First, I would blame some potentially sub-par vocational decisions. Second, I would blame yourselves for scampering to these jobs that are so sub-par. I know, I know "But I wanna be an airline pilot!!!!" - but if the career isn't blowing your skirt up, certainly bitching about the paying customers isn't the answer. Maybe if people stopped applying for things that (supposedly, according to them) are so far beneath them then perhaps the market would respond? My thought is that many, many are most likely appropriately paid - maybe not for the responsibility they have, but certainly appropriate given the seeming lack of business acumen and critical thinking skills.

I sampled some "Japanese" noodles that the Costco lady was handing out last night, they were really good. Tasted like lo mein to me. I think they were $2/serving. I forget the name though.

Mmm. Lo mein....

I've said this before, and I'll keep saying it: I would gladly pay a reasonable amount more to not feel like a bag of meat when I travel. Not First Class more, but man... there has got to be a middle seat.

I know there are people like me out there. Problem is that most airlines cater to the lowest and the highest common denominator, leaving the middle ground to fend for themselves. I'm in that middle ground, and it sucks. I'm not looking for the Geo Metro of flying, nor am I looking for the Bentley of flying. An Audi or BMW would be nice, but hell, at this point, I'd settle for a nicely loaded Buick.
I've been thinking about that lately. Why isn't there an airline service that has first class seating, and accommodations at competitive rates. Their are airlines that are strictly no frills and you pay just to look out the window. They do fine for people who want the lowest price. What about an airline that is on the opposite side that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I've been thinking about that lately. Why isn't there an airline service that has first class seating, and accommodations at competitive rates. Their are airlines that are strictly no frills and you pay just to look out the window. They do fine for people who want the lowest price. What about an airline that is on the opposite side that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Wasn't that known as Midwest Express?

My airline history isn't that extensive.

Im fuzzy on it, but I thought they had a mostly first-class config. I do know that they baked their own chocolate chip cookies onboard.....a staple of their service. They had flights to PHX, which is the only reason I know about them.

Im fuzzy on it, but I thought they had a mostly first-class config. I do know that they baked their own chocolate chip cookies onboard.....a staple of their service.
Kitchen-aid and all? That would be awesome!

But seriously, as the prices of tickets get rediciously low, I'm sure there is a growing market of people who would want to have that first class service at moderate prices. For example, I just looked up a flight from Denver to SMF and came up with $275 coach, almost $700 first. How much more per seat mile would it be if a airline was to configure the plane with comfy wide seats, good meal and free tv service. Make it around the $450 price range?

Im fuzzy on it, but I thought they had a mostly first-class config. I do know that they baked their own chocolate chip cookies onboard.....a staple of their service.

That's right, being a Wisconsin boy I remember it being pretty popular as the "all first class" carrier. I know it was very well regarded by the public in that area, but I dont ever personally recall flying on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwest_Airlines#Midwest_Express

Wiki says they were profitable for 14 years before 9/11 hit, eventually bought and squished by Republic.

Yes, the airline you're thinking of was Midwest Express. They were MKE based (with a small MCI crew base too). All first class seating, not a terribly large system network but you could get to a lot of places direct out of MKE at a reasonable price.

I interviewed with them in 1998, was successful in the 1st interview and was going to go to the 2nd interview but decided to stay at Eagle and become IOE instructor instead.

Generally speaking, airlines who only cater to the first class crowd, with a "premium product at a premium price" don't make it. There have been a couple failed startups in NY (MaxJet and Lynx?) and AA had an experiment with all FC configured F-100s with 50 seats to comply with Wright agreement out of DAL. That experiment did not succeed, I remember working those flights in 2001. The service was high level, but the loads were light so they ended up being easy flights to work.

AA did that to compete with Legacy Airlines didn't they? Legacy had 65 pax DC9-30s in an all premium cabin configuration, hot meals, etc. even had their own terminal at LUV.

Yes, the airline you're thinking of was Midwest Express. They were MKE based (with a small MCI crew base too). All first class seating, not a terribly large system network but you could get to a lot of places direct out of MKE at a reasonable price.

I interviewed with them in 1998, was successful in the 1st interview and was going to go to the 2nd interview but decided to stay at Eagle and become IOE instructor instead.

Generally speaking, airlines who only cater to the first class crowd, with a "premium product at a premium price" don't make it. There have been a couple failed startups in NY (MaxJet and Lynx?) and AA had an experiment with all FC configured F-100s with 50 seats to comply with Wright agreement out of DAL. That experiment did not succeed, I remember working those flights in 2001. The service was high level, but the loads were light so they ended up being easy flights to work.
What was the gap in pricing though? And my thought with the idea is a startup doing it. New brand, newish aircraft etc. Just a thought.

Kitchen-aid and all? That would be awesome!

But seriously, as the prices of tickets get rediciously low, I'm sure there is a growing market of people who would want to have that first class service at moderate prices. For example, I just looked up a flight from Denver to SMF and came up with $275 coach, almost $700 first. How much more per seat mile would it be if a airline was to configure the plane with comfy wide seats, good meal and free tv service. Make it around the $450 price range?
I'd do it. For no more commercial flying than I do on my dime in a year, an extra $200 a seat would be budget dust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Back