Stats on this plane....

A dash 8 huh? Well, you are as good as done. Big scary prop plane... with a high wing to boot? You might was well just end it all now.

I kid of course. They are about as safe as any other plane flown by a major 121 carrier. I wouldn't worry about it. You might want to grab a pair of earplugs though as they can be a little loud. Although, come to think of it I deadheaded on one two days ago and I gave my last pair of earplugs to the FA that was deadheading with me and I didn't really notice the noise too much.

EDIT: and here are the stats on it.

flyingmaniac said:
Is there a reason why the propellor is not moving on the left side?

See my previous post.

~wheelsup

P.S. Just kidding, they used a fast shutter speed that stopped the prop in motion. It looks like they are landing so the throttles are way back as well.

Well, I see that very Mesa aircraft every day in DEN. Safe? Yes. Reliable? No comment... I won't repeat some of the things I've heard their mechanics say about those "high-hour pieces of s@%$."

Prepare for a bumpy ride and have fun!

Thank you guys.

I know this plane is safe, its just some people in my family don't believe me. I have traveled on this specific aircraft several times. Thank you once again

I love the Dash 8. In fact I hope to fly one sometime in my career. I've never met a Dash 8 pilot who doesnt like the aircraft - that has to tell you something about it.

Why would some of your family members not think it's a safe plane?? I'm just curious about their reasoning.

I fly the Dash8 for Piedmont Airlines. I love it, it flies like a big C172! But then again it is the only airliner I have flown so I don't have much to compare it to. It is safe. I would say safer than some other turbo-props such as the ATR. The Dash is great in icing, handles it no problem. Heck it was built in Canada. It is quiet enough up front that you can talk to the guy next to you without yelling, unlike the E145 RJ I dead-headed on today. Jeez that thing has a lot of wind noise.
Anyway Piedmont has an excelent safety record so you dont have anything to worry about.

mike295855 said:
I will soon be flying on a De Havilland Canada DHC-8-202Q Dash 8, and I am not worried but some new-comers in the family are freaking out. Could you please let me know how reliable and safe these babies are.

Here is a picture...

Aviation Safety Network: de Havilland Canada DHC-8 stats

..and as for the pic, every photo at A.net has a small direct link URL above the pic. (Don't use the one in the browser as <coughed> above.)

I apologize for the large link from A.net

I have a question though.

I am curious to know if the Dash 8 is the samething that United/Mesa is using. You see on my itenarary I can't tell what equipment is being used from denver on? What does united use is it the Dash 8 that I showed up there.

Back