Starship Launch

I mean, Elon is guilty of thoughtcrimes. He should be de-platformed, banished , possibly brought up on charges. He has single handily destroyed what once was a reliable and trusted source of truth.
Well, @derg has been firmly, and properly, labeled a "deplatformer", so we have that going for us...

I mean, Elon is guilty of thoughtcrimes. He should be de-platformed, banished , possibly brought up on charges. He has single handily destroyed what once was a reliable and trusted source of truth.

"I paid for Steven Kings blue checkmark out of my own pocket"

Steven King: "Trick PLEASE"! :)

"I paid for Steven Kings blue checkmark out of my own pocket"

Steven King: "Trick PLEASE"! :)

One day, I will write a novel. My wish will be someone will come to the book signing and say “doooood! Yer book was like, trippin’ man!”

One day, I will write a novel. My wish will be someone will come to the book signing and say “doooood! Yer book was like, trippin’ man!”

"Cats, Comics, Contracts: My Crazy Life"

Starship orbital attempt part deux tomorrow!
I find Elon insufferable, and I'm really excited about this.

One of the things I've realized as I've gotten older (that I don't think has trickled out into the Zeitgeist as both sides do fail to recognize this) is that someone can be utterly deplorable and objectively stupid in every conceivable way about one thing and a goddamn genius about something else. Elon is basically the poster child for this in my mind. He is dumb about politics and should shut his mouth, but what he's done with SpaceX (well, really what Shotwell has done, but he's been a major part of it) is utterly amazing.

I honestly think that's my biggest and best takeaway from my flying career. That insufferable dbag you fly with? That guy who doesn't vote like you, doesn't think like you, holds utterly horrific views - sometimes that guy can still fly extremely well, so "best give credit where it's due." Similarly, sometimes the guys I get along with the best and who's company I enjoy the most aren't as sharp as some of the people I strongly dislike.

I learned that pretty early on; the value of this has only become really apparent in the last 5 or 7 years or so, but one should definitely decouple their like or dislike of a person from their accomplishments when it's possible.

One of the things I've realized as I've gotten older (that I don't think has trickled out into the Zeitgeist as both sides do fail to recognize this) is that someone can be utterly deplorable and objectively stupid in every conceivable way about one thing and a goddamn genius about something else. Elon is basically the poster child for this in my mind. He is dumb about politics and should shut his mouth, but what he's done with SpaceX (well, really what Shotwell has done, but he's been a major part of it) is utterly amazing.

I honestly think that's my biggest and best takeaway from my flying career. That insufferable dbag you fly with? That guy who doesn't vote like you, doesn't think like you, holds utterly horrific views - sometimes that guy can still fly extremely well, so "best give credit where it's due." Similarly, sometimes the guys I get along with the best and who's company I enjoy the most aren't as sharp as some of the people I strongly dislike.

I learned that pretty early on; the value of this has only become really apparent in the last 5 or 7 years or so, but one should definitely decouple their like or dislike of a person from their accomplishments when it's possible.
Same same. I've separated Elon's antics from SpaceX and we can all likely assume that even without him they'll keep chugging along. Well, maybe not without his $$$ but the people that do that day to day work don't need him to make magic happen. He's the idea man with the cash, I'll give him that but he couldn't engineer a pencil sharpener without some help.

Also to add on your point, it is interesting how occasionally I'll fly with someone whose views I likely find to be terrible are actually good to fly with. While we never cross the political line, it's an otherwise good time. Funny thing, there is one particular captain in SEA that we agree basically 100% with all things political and life but he's an otherwise insufferable POS that nobody likes.

It seems fitting in a way - America's orbital excellent has always really relied upon Nazis. Werner von Braun. Elon von Musk. It's simply tradition. The American Space Program Canon.
I always found it interesting that we hate nazis unless they were running our space program. They must have the right stuff.

I wish I had the time and ambition to look back to 2010-2015 and repost all of the stuff about Musk. He was "the man" for many people here for everything he was doing. Now, because he disagrees with "the narrative" all of his accomplishments are supposed to be ignored. Except most people here, whether or not they'd admit it, are still impressed by what what he does and will be watching tomorrow when they try this thing for the second time. If you like cool things just put your stupid political bias aside and cheer it on. Unless you have a better idea, if you do have a better idea speak up, we're all waiting to hear what you have to say and he'd probably hire you.

Well they managed to keep all the engines running this time. I still saw some debris flying.

Booster exploded after staging and starship exploded in orbit.

Well they managed to keep all the engines running this time. I still saw some debris flying.

Booster exploded after staging and starship exploded in orbit.
Certainly better than last time, hot staging appears to be the thing for good separation. Watching the feed all the cameras are still standing near the pad so that also appears to be a huge improvement.

It'll be curious to learn why the ship terminated and far it actually made it.

3rd time a charm?

I wish I had the time and ambition to look back to 2010-2015 and repost all of the stuff about Musk. He was "the man" for many people here for everything he was doing. Now, because he disagrees with "the narrative" all of his accomplishments are supposed to be ignored. Except most people here, whether or not they'd admit it, are still impressed by what what he does and will be watching tomorrow when they try this thing for the second time. If you like cool things just put your stupid political bias aside and cheer it on. Unless you have a better idea, if you do have a better idea speak up, we're all waiting to hear what you have to say and he'd probably hire you.
I'll note: I've hated Musk since pre-2010. I imagine there may be anti-Government subsidies screeds in the JC archives by me.

Certainly better than last time, hot staging appears to be the thing for good separation. Watching the feed all the cameras are still standing near the pad so that also appears to be a huge improvement.

It'll be curious to learn why the ship terminated and far it actually made it.

3rd time a charm?

We got slowed way down on the way home from Japan this morning to protect the booster reentry corridor. Didn't get to see anything though.

I'll note: I've hated Musk since pre-2010. I imagine there may be anti-Government subsidies screeds in the JC archives by me.

When did he call the rescue diver a pedo because he called Musk's dumb submarine dumb?

That was when I went from ambivalent to points north.

Tech is largely smoke and mirrors, the people doing the real work and rewriting the world would rather eat their own underwear than stand in front of a camera.

I went from "how many billionaires are tolerable" to "Well, if you met Steve Jobs, you'd probably hate him to" to "Did he REALLY call someone a pedophile?" to "maybe he's high on ketamine" to "ungh, just because I like Space and drive a Tesla doesn't mean I'm a fanboy" to "I literally can't even"

I went from "how many billionaires are tolerable" to "Well, if you met Steve Jobs, you'd probably hate him to" to "Did he REALLY call someone a pedophile?" to "maybe he's high on ketamine" to "ungh, just because I like Space and drive a Tesla doesn't mean I'm a fanboy" to "I literally can't even"

All I want are heroes worth looking up to...

Back