Starship Launch

I saw him speak once as a kid - I was like 16, and he was speaking in downtown Anchorage, and I had heard about it; I walked in through the kitchen door and walked to the back of the auditorium hall he was speaking in and watched him talk about ANLCA and ANCSA. He must have been in his mid-80s and he was still electrifying.

I'm really jealous that you've gotten to meet him - even for just a handshake. That guy may be the only president who's done more for the world after he was out of office. He's a pretty inspiring fellow.

He literally shook all the hands that wanted to be shaken and took the time to talk to people.

"Whenever I step on a Delta jet, I know I'm halfway home" just stuck with me. The effort he put in after his presidency to make America a better place, the same country that metaphorically pooped on him during his term, is commendable.

People may hate his policies, but in retrospect, he was right.

I'm really jealous that you've gotten to meet him - even for just a handshake. That guy may be the only president who's done more for the world after he was out of office. He's a pretty inspiring fellow.

I was on a @derg international Air Lines flight from RDU-ATL and we took a 10min departure delay because freakin Jimmy Carter wanted to shake hands with every single person on a 757-30.

It was freaking awesome, secret service ahead of and behind him but he shook literally everyone on that plane’s hand with a giant smile.

He literally shook all the hands that wanted to be shaken and took the time to talk to people.

"Whenever I step on a Delta jet, I know I'm halfway home" just stuck with me. The effort he put in after his presidency to make America a better place, the same country that metaphorically pooped on him during his term, is commendable.

People may hate his policies, but in retrospect, he was right.

My dad blames him for the 1973 oil crisis (Yes, you read that right.) and if that isn't American politics I don't know what is lol.

I figure if Steve Jobs took over the world, we'd end up being vegan by law and listening to really bad music. If Elon took over the world, it would be a lot more like "Idiocracy" and "Lord of the Flies" because he refuses to understand the human condition.
I think Jobs was largely a loon (my friend does too). But he could absolutely run that business. And he got the very best people to turn down better offers at places that were soft in order to take less from Apple to be abused. Charisma or something. But he helped create the home PC industry. Completely changed/disrupted the music business with the Ipod. Animation (Pixar). Telephones/handheld computers. Musk had a chance - but lacks the true vision, obsession with quality, messianic charisma, and he talks too much. Last issue being the lesson I try to tell everyone I speak to/at. Don't talk so much. Just shut the eff up.

People think FDR had a Fireside chat weekly - he had 31 in 12 years in office.
Gettysburg address and Lincolns 2nd inaugural are iconic, and short enough to be carved inside the walls of the monument.

Say less and make it memorable. Jobs spoke at carefully curated events and rarely did a lot of press. He understood. These idiots today flood the zone with every thought they have. It's irritating.

I think Jobs was largely a loon (my friend does too). But he could absolutely run that business. And he got the very best people to turn down better offers at places that were soft in order to take less from Apple to be abused. Charisma or something. But he helped create the home PC industry. Completely changed/disrupted the music business with the Ipod. Animation (Pixar). Telephones/handheld computers. Musk had a chance - but lacks the true vision, obsession with quality, messianic charisma, and he talks too much. Last issue being the lesson I try to tell everyone I speak to/at. Don't talk so much. Just shut the eff up.

People think FDR had a Fireside chat weekly - he had 31 in 12 years in office.
Gettysburg address and Lincolns 2nd inaugural are iconic, and short enough to be carved inside the walls of the monument.

Say less and make it memorable. Jobs spoke at carefully curated events and rarely did a lot of press. He understood. These idiots today flood the zone with every thought they have. It's irritating.

Or get a little self awareness. Have your opinions about whatever you find relatable, but be self aware and me wearing a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt to Target may have acceptable consequences that counterbalance my freedom to wear it, and i accept those, but going off about the Jews on a public forum like whatever X is called today, how is he shocked of people's reactions?

He needs to realize that being a demigod to the RoganWerld does not equal universal acceptance nor is anyone face to finance it.

Every time someone mentions guns on a thread, Google instantly demonetizes that specific page. Too many cuss words gets demonetized and there's a hit in my ad generation revenue and it's trackable on the admin panel. Elon thinking he wouldn't…. shouldn't be privy to the same advertising market response after his tirade is childish. It's not a freedom of speech issue.

I wish I had the time and ambition to look back to 2010-2015 and repost all of the stuff about Musk. He was "the man" for many people here for everything he was doing. Now, because he disagrees with "the narrative" all of his accomplishments are supposed to be ignored. Except most people here, whether or not they'd admit it, are still impressed by what what he does and will be watching tomorrow when they try this thing for the second time. If you like cool things just put your stupid political bias aside and cheer it on. Unless you have a better idea, if you do have a better idea speak up, we're all waiting to hear what you have to say and he'd probably hire you.
HE is not DOING much anything except funding stuff with his money and spouting off racism and xenophobia.

Elon Musk is NOT a genius. He's just a rich kid who took daddy's money and made more with a couple of obvious investments. If you have money and even a whit of awareness, it's really easy to make more money. (Jeff Bezos' ex is the darling of the "philanthropist" crowd because she "gives away" billions each year. Ok, sure. Yet, even with all that "giving" each year, she ends the year with more billions than she started with. At least ol' Jeff is an honest ass-hat and keeps all that he made by leaving the log cabin, working hard, and pulling himself up by his own bootstraps.)

What part of large numbers and interest (economic rent) do you NOT understand. This is not even as hard as 5th grade physics.

DO STUFF. Or don't. But, please don't brag about the money you have because you already had some. And, please, please DON'T consider "your" [advised] investments as a sign that you've actually DONE anything or as a sign that you are a genius. Anyone who does that is just another entitled idiot who has come to believe his own press... and continues to rant about all those "entitled" folk out there.

Last edited:
Jobs is (was?) far more likeable than Musk, his irascibility included, I think.

I don't think there are any living and famous people I can look up to without any sort of reservation at all.

Oh, sure can. As mentioned President Carter but I will add Taylor Swift, President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama.

Oh, sure can. As mentioned President Carter but I will add Taylor Swift, President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama.
I'll take, "Who is Jimmy Carter? for $100 Trillion, Alex." Literally saved the world a couple times... and hardly anyone knows... Why? Same right wing news-machine that brings you "alternative facts" right now. Only difference is, now they own -and sell- the term "alternative facts".

HE is not DOING much anything except funding stuff with his money and spouting off racism and xenophobia.

Elon Musk is NOT a genius. He's just a rich kid who took daddy's money and made more with a couple of obvious investments. If you have money and even a whit of awareness, it's really easy to make more money. (Jeff Bezos' ex is the darling of the "philanthropist" crowd because she "gives away" billions each year. Ok, sure. Yet, even with all that "giving" each year, she ends the year with more billions than she started with. At least ol' Jeff is an honest ass-hat and keeps all that he made by leaving the log cabin, working hard, and pulling himself up by his own bootstraps.)

What part of large numbers and interest (economic rent) do you NOT understand. This is not even as hard as 5th grade physics.

DO STUFF. Or don't. But, please don't brag about the money you have because you already had some. And, please, please DON'T consider "your" [advised] investments as a sign that you've actually DONE anything or as a sign that you are a genius. Anyone who does that is just another entitled idiot who has come to believe his own press... and continues to rant about all those "entitled" folk out there.
You're delusional. I was unfortunate enough at one time to take care of an airplane for the son of one of the biggest hospital "refurbishers?", guy was born into billions. Dad died, he took over the company and developed an unabashed appetite for drugs and women (despite the fact he had a wife and family), marriage failed followed by the company shortly after. No more shiny cars or jets for that dude with $1500 jeans. If it only took a couple of brain cells, a bit of awareness and an inheritance to become what Elon Musk has become he'd have more contemporaries, but he doesn't proving you're wrong.

Back