Starship Launch

All I want are heroes worth looking up to...
I keep saying it, but it’s not like most (any?) billionaires are actually not sociopaths, just most of them have the good sense to keep a low (or at least carefully curated) public profile whereas Musk just enjoys being the worlds richest online troll

I haven’t been following this launch; did the second stage actually make it to orbit? Often there is a second burn at perigee roughly on the other side of earf to circularize the orbit, and it sounds like the second stage failed before then.

I haven’t been following this launch; did the second stage actually make it to orbit? Often there is a second burn at perigee roughly on the other side of earf to circularize the orbit, and it sounds like the second stage failed before then.

It made it into space, it was never actually going to orbit... just most of one.

I always found it interesting that we hate nazis unless they were running our space program. They must have the right stuff.

Attachments

• space_launch_system.png
    space_launch_system.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 55
I went from "how many billionaires are tolerable" to "Well, if you met Steve Jobs, you'd probably hate him to" to "Did he REALLY call someone a pedophile?" to "maybe he's high on ketamine" to "ungh, just because I like Space and drive a Tesla doesn't mean I'm a fanboy" to "I literally can't even"
A very close friend/mentor of mine had a really neat job in the 70's. He worked for Peat, Marwick, Mitchell (KPMG before the name change). His job was Partner in Charge of Entrepreneurial Services based in the San Francisco office. He dealt with many luminaries (William Hewlett and David Packard), XEROX, George Roberts (The "R" of KKR), and some "new" people that couldn't really afford them but they took a flier on {like venture capital but for business services) such as Steve Jobs. Jobs was apparently nice to my friend, somewhat abusive to employees, but here's the thing - he produced - long term production. A key difference with todays set.

A very close friend/mentor of mine had a really neat job in the 70's. He worked for Peat, Marwick, Mitchell (KPMG before the name change). His job was Partner in Charge of Entrepreneurial Services based in the San Francisco office. He dealt with many luminaries (William Hewlett and David Packard), XEROX, George Roberts (The "R" of KKR), and some "new" people that couldn't really afford them but they took a flier on {like venture capital but for business services) such as Steve Jobs. Jobs was apparently nice to my friend, somewhat abusive to employees, but here's the thing - he produced - long term production. A key difference with todays set.

I figure if Steve Jobs took over the world, we'd end up being vegan by law and listening to really bad music. If Elon took over the world, it would be a lot more like "Idiocracy" and "Lord of the Flies" because he refuses to understand the human condition.

Let's just all contemplate the In-N-Out business model in 2023 and wonder why it works. Forgetting the internet tech bubble is very shortsighted. Over reaching and borrowing seems to be a recipe for disaster and if you have something good going why would you sell it? Just keep doing what you're doing and keep doing it well. Having an IPO has been the death nell for many great companies.

I happened to be re-routed coming back from MMUN for the launch, actually got to see it come up, got eyes on it separating, then watched the explosion. It was one of the cooler things I've ever seen. Plus the re-route gave me 30 mins in overs. So. win/win.

Let's just all contemplate the In-N-Out business model in 2023 and wonder why it works. Forgetting the internet tech bubble is very shortsighted. Over reaching and borrowing seems to be a recipe for disaster and if you have something good going why would you sell it? Just keep doing what you're doing and keep doing it well. Having an IPO has been the death nell for many great companies.

I feel pretty confident that the Sbarro family felt pretty good about dumping their company in the 80s before malls became obsolete:

And I'm not at all sorry for reviving the eternal Sbarro discussion on JC.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLwHim8W8TY

I went from "how many billionaires are tolerable" to "Well, if you met Steve Jobs, you'd probably hate him to" to "Did he REALLY call someone a pedophile?" to "maybe he's high on ketamine" to "ungh, just because I like Space and drive a Tesla doesn't mean I'm a fanboy" to "I literally can't even"
Jobs is (was?) far more likeable than Musk, his irascibility included, I think.

I don't think there are any living and famous people I can look up to without any sort of reservation at all.

better get the admiration in quick with him... his wife just died, so I imagine he's not sticking around much longer himself.
Aren't you glad that we have not-the-former-guy in the White House for the occasion? Imagining what I assume TFG would have said about Carter gives me chills and not in a good way.

I've flown him twice! Very polite person, hands were ice-cold though.
I saw him speak once as a kid - I was like 16, and he was speaking in downtown Anchorage, and I had heard about it; I walked in through the kitchen door and walked to the back of the auditorium hall he was speaking in and watched him talk about ANLCA and ANCSA. He must have been in his mid-80s and he was still electrifying.

I'm really jealous that you've gotten to meet him - even for just a handshake. That guy may be the only president who's done more for the world after he was out of office. He's a pretty inspiring fellow.

Back