STARs and speed/altitude restrictions in a GA plane

Roger Roger said:
Compared to the number of guys that stall spin, cfit, or lose control imc, it's really not.

All problems that should be addressed. One of the reasons that I don't think anyone should be issued a pilot certificate without an instrument rating. Ohh, to be aviation king for a day. :)

Fascinating. I hadn't heard of a "virtual tower" but I think it's an interesting idea. I spent 10 minutes at the end of the runway a couple of days ago because a Cessna had called for his release on the ramp and wasn't ready. Nothing technically wrong, but a major breach of courtesy. Perhaps this would prevent that.

I would be very interested to see the metrics of exactly where mid-air collisions occur when the numbers are taken into proportion to the volume of VFR traffic. For example, what's the ratio of mid-airs over the Hudson vs podunk South Dakota per VFR departure and landing.

All problems that should be addressed. One of the reasons that I don't think anyone should be issued a pilot certificate without an instrument rating. Ohh, to be aviation king for a day. :)

Back in my college days in the late 80s, one of the big things going in GA was a UND person, don't remember if student or CFI, had made a proposal to the FAA for an NPRM that would mandate that in order to fly at night at all, one had to possess an instrument rating. From what I remember, it made it pretty far in the NPRM process before getting turned down.

MikeD said:
Back in my college days in the late 80s, one of the big things going in GA was a UND person, don't remember if student or CFI, had made a proposal to the FAA for an NPRM that would mandate that in order to fly at night at all, one had to possess an instrument rating. From what I remember, it made it pretty far in the NPRM process before getting turned down.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. There are black hole approaches all over the country that are more disorienting than hard IMC.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. There are black hole approaches all over the country that are more disorienting than hard IMC.

I can certainly see the logic behind it, does make sense in many ways. But man, was there a backlash of opinions against it.

Yeah, I don't do BFRs. That's what a new type rating is for. :D
You don't work part 121 anymore. You're "Joe Bagadonuts" part 91 now. You gonna keep paying for type ratings in planes you'll never fly every two years just to get around the BFR?

Cptnchia said:
You don't work part 121 anymore. You're "Joe Bagadonuts" part 91 now. You gonna keep paying for type ratings in planes you'll never fly every two years just to get around the BFR?

I know several guys who collect type ratings. I plan to be one of them. Probably get a DC3 type when I'm due for a BFR next year. They do them at my home airport.

Can you show me VFR in the Constitution?
Seriously, now you sound like them. Can you show me where only IFR should be allowed? Just cause you don't want to fly VFR, why should I be prohibited? Personally, I don't like Mooneys. I say they should all be grounded and turned into beer cans, but that argument makes about as much sense as your's. How about, you stay out of my way, and I'll stay out of yours.

latest

Cptnchia said:
Seriously, now you sound like them. Can you show me where only IFR should be allowed? Just cause you don't want to fly VFR, why should I be prohibited? Personally, I don't like Mooneys. I say they should all be grounded and turned into beer cans, but that argument makes about as much sense as your's. How about, you stay out of my way, and I'll stay out of yours.

Have a good night.

Just like ATC should as well. Back in my airship days (which, apparently, would scare you witless, considering the altitude we used to operate at in the desert SW) I had a Class C controller in the NE tell me to remain clear of the class C and that I had to prearrange a crossing of the airspace by phone ahead of time for unpowered aircraft. I had to read them the riot act that I was, in fact, a powered aircraft.

I know several guys who collect type ratings. I plan to be one of them. Probably get a DC3 type when I'm due for a BFR next year. They do them at my home airport.

I would highly recommend getting training in your own airplane at least once yearly, not maintaining proficiency in your airplane is something that could get you killed.

How often do you go out and practice maneuvers or slowflight or stalls in your airplane?

If I didn't have to pay for annual recurrent training I would probably do the same thing. What an awesome way to learn new airframes and flying techniques, especially since a lot of them might not be around in 10-20 years.

Back