I did that. Depends on what knowledge you're more comfortable with. I was more comfortable with IFR so I made my initial easier by doing that.

The add-on will be a little bit easier since you won't have to do FOI....but I took my add-on 14 days later. If you just get CFI-I it's kinda useless to employers so they'll want CFI-A done. You are correct...no complex which also made it easier.

Keep in mind though that a lot of companies out there will pay for your CFI-I training at a reduced cost if you're working for them...or just give you employee rates for rental...still a deal. My current shop gives out a free CFI-I and $5k sign on for a year....nothing like 3 years or docked pay some other contracts have. Pretty good deal especially if getting the CFI-I isn't financially feasible. Up to you though. I say if you have enough saved for both, just do both on your own dime....then you'll be employable everywhere.
The reason I'm considering CFII first is because I can get it done very inexpensively with the Cherokee at work. The FBO I work for lets me fly it for the cost of fuel, so I could save for my add-ons while I'm training for my initial. Not that I can do much with just a CFII, but it'll be cheaper than renting an Arrow.

Also, since I have both my AGI and IGI, does this mean I do not have to retake the knowledge tests? I got them about 4 years ago, and I know privileges expire after 2 years unless you either stay current or take a refresher, but 61.185 doesn't say it has to be current. I'm obviously going to study diligently, but if I can use my ground instructor licenses to bypass taking the knowledge tests, that'd help a little.

The reason I'm considering CFII first is because I can get it done very inexpensively with the Cherokee at work. The FBO I work for lets me fly it for the cost of fuel, so I could save for my add-ons while I'm training for my initial. Not that I can do much with just a CFII, but it'll be cheaper than renting an Arrow.

I don't think you are talking much difference here. 99% of the study for any of the CFI ratings is on the ground. Assuming you can fly an Arrow or Cherokee to commercial PTS standards from the right seat, there isn't anything much in the air you will need to be practicing. If your flying is already proficient, you shouldn't need more than a few hours. The best way to prepare is to find a CFI friend to sit in the back seat, and give some lessons to a mock-student. Most likely, the airplane ride will consist of you demonstrating slow flight, power off stall, emergency descent, turns around a point and a power-off 180, and critiquing the examiner doing the same.

You won't be getting the spin endorsement in either of those aircraft - finding one you can use might be the hardest part of all this.

Also, since I have both my AGI and IGI, does this mean I do not have to retake the knowledge tests? I got them about 4 years ago, and I know privileges expire after 2 years unless you either stay current or take a refresher, but 61.185 doesn't say it has to be current.

61.185 does not get you out of the knowledge tests, it just covers what ground instruction you need to log from a CFI.

I just starting studying for my CFI training about 3 weeks ago. Finished commercial SEL on June 21st. About to finish up studying the FOI handbook and begin taking the writtens to get them knocked out.

Anybody have any general idea of a timeframe of how long it will take me to finish the CFI?

I'm married with a 2 and a half year old, work a part time job (25 hours a week), and managed to finish my commercial in exactly 2 months. I'm a very disciplined student, study real hard and have no problem doing it all on my own, I actually prefer it that way. I never need anybody to motivate me, it's automatic.

I realize answers to my question might vary, just wanted to hear your responses especially from anybody in my boat with a family.

Back