Spirit Hiring

I was just saying that you’re arguing a point that is factually inaccurate. The only thing Spirit is “potentially” becoming, is nothing at all. In two years time, Spirit will be sitting on a beach surrounded by hoe’s and a yacht. Hard to ask them to pay a future salary for a company they won’t be a part of.
Lmao to the “hoes and yacht bit” legit funny. I think you’re missing the point they’re trying to make. Who’s to say that the merger… er… non merger sorry will even go through? If the Feds block it Spirit will in fact have to come up with a new contract. And those numbers LaCordera threw out make sense and sound pretty good for FL. Also makes sense to match the pay of the potential company trying to buy them to make the group transition smoother in case it does get approved. Now whether Spirit will do that is a different issue.

To throw in my two cents, besides all these current issues, I loved working and living there. Tbh I really miss it and would come back. Just can’t get by on the current pay.
Ditto to this exactly. If I had known what I know now, and on top of everything I’m dealing with at the current place, I never would have left. Loved it there. Miss my coworkers and as I’ve said before in other earlier posts, I personally loved South Florida. Endless things to do, phenomenal winter temps, year round sea breeze, insanely gorgeous nature and activities, amazing food and cultures… Just could not get by on the pay. If it was not for that I would never have left, and would love to live there again.

Lmao to the “hoes and yacht bit” legit funny. I think you’re missing the point they’re trying to make. Who’s to say that the merger… er… non merger sorry will even go through? If the Feds block it Spirit will in fact have to come up with a new contract. And those numbers LaCordera threw out make sense and sound pretty good for FL. Also makes sense to match the pay of the potential company trying to buy them to make the group transition smoother in case it does get approved. Now whether Spirit will do that is a different issue.

Ditto to this exactly. If I had known what I know now, and on top of everything I’m dealing with at the current place, I never would have left. Loved it there. Miss my coworkers and as I’ve said before in other earlier posts, I personally loved South Florida. Endless things to do, phenomenal winter temps, year round sea breeze, insanely gorgeous nature and activities, amazing food and cultures… Just could not get by on the pay. If it was not for that I would never have left, and would love to live there again.

It’s also in the best interest of NK’s union to push harder for a new and better contract because -if- this merger goes through, the NMB will undoubtedly call for a vote whether to keep PAFCA representation or continue the current non-union B6 dispatch group has. My guess is if PAFCA doesn’t push through that vote will not go in their favor.

Either way, I hope NK dispatchers get something good, and soon. Even if the merger happens it will be YEARS before any actually merging of workgroups happen.

It’s also in the best interest of NK’s union to push harder for a new and better contract because -if- this merger goes through, the NMB will undoubtedly call for a vote whether to keep PAFCA representation or continue the current non-union B6 dispatch group has. My guess is if PAFCA doesn’t push through that vote will not go in their favor.

Either way, I hope NK dispatchers get something good, and soon. Even if the merger happens it will be YEARS before any actually merging of workgroups happen.
Very true as well!

Please explain?
because you're arguing semantics about a point you tried to make that nobody here really even cares about. sure the shareholders may be on a beach sipping mai tai's with their hoe's when this is over (they already are)... but everyone that does work for the two airlines will be a part of the 5th largest, regardless of what the name is

spirit is in dire need of a new contract/TA. personally I don't think they even need to use the potential merger as a talking point. they have plenty of other grievances and issues to sort out, but it still could be a legitimate point. even as a standalone company, they absolutely can not come with a pay scale lower than Allegiant

I was just saying that you’re arguing a point that is factually inaccurate. The only thing Spirit is “potentially” becoming, is nothing at all. In two years time, Spirit will be sitting on a beach surrounded by hoe’s and a yacht. Hard to ask them to pay a future salary for a company they won’t be a part of.
Is this Dwight Schrute?

because you're arguing semantics about a point you tried to make that nobody here really even cares about. sure the shareholders may be on a beach sipping mai tai's with their hoe's when this is over (they already are)... but everyone that does work for the two airlines will be a part of the 5th largest, regardless of what the name is

spirit is in dire need of a new contract/TA. personally I don't think they even need to use the potential merger as a talking point. they have plenty of other grievances and issues to sort out, but it still could be a legitimate point. even as a standalone company, they absolutely can not come with a pay scale lower than Allegiant

Yes, I totally agree that Spirit employees need to be paid more than Allegiant, I’m just saying it’s not an argument the company would likely even listen to. While all the employees are moving to JetBlue, the people who pay your salary are not, and their argument will end on that point. Ask your union rep, I’m sure they will say the same. Not to mention JetBlue’s new contract isn’t public yet and doesn’t go into effect until October, the same month as the court decision.

That’s why I said Spirit should demand a new TA with a 20% increase across the entire scale and a 40% increase to year 1.

If anyone still need to Crashpad PM, me I am five minutes away from Dania Point and 15 minutes from current OCC.

Reiterating what Goldilocks was saying about the OCC debacle, it was an absolute nightmare…for the better part of a decade NK leadership talked about moving the operation out of South Florida keeping individuals completely in the dark…seriously YEARS of not being able to plan personal, financial, family life…. As someone who has been there, three major pushes for new OCCs and news breaking faster online from 3rd party sites or the company, rather than by management sitting 20 feet away from you about your own fate is fairly dehumanizing. When the company finally decided to move everyone to Orlando the moving package was comical for individuals that owned homes, it was so low that people would essentially be taking a financial loss to move on behalf of the company.

The pay is currently not liveable unless you live with roommates. At the starting pay of 55k a year, 49% of your pay in FLL or 43% of your pay in MCO will be going to rent for an average apartment (median price). There is some hope with a new contractual agreement due soon but the last one took years with an arbitration team to come to fruition and with the merger looming it could be a very long time til things get better.

Well stated. Many people put off things like buying homes based off the fact that the company was in a constant state of “about to move”. Why purchase a house when your employer is about to move hundreds of miles away? This started at least 5 years ago. Now today, it’s still up in the air. What’s going to happen when/if the merger goes through? Where will OCC/OCCs be? It’s still impossible to plan for.
Houses have doubled, and interest rates have more than doubled. The company’s ineptitude and lack of transparency cost many employees hundreds of thousands of dollars in missed opportunities.

Now today, Florida has the highest inflation in the country -

Their current, and potentially future home, is quickly becoming among the most unaffordable in the country. Let’s hope the company is willing to take this into consideration when negotiating and come to the table with something that allows people to make a career at the airline rather than keep it the transitory destination it currently is, where people spend a few months until they can find an airline that pays a livable wage.
When it comes to contract ratification, hopefully their employees keep in mind that even Southwest rates would give them 20% less buying power because of cost of living - and that gap is increasing as Florida becomes even more expensive.
Good luck to all there.

Global X in MIA announced new starting pay at $75k on the dispatcher pay spreadsheet. Wondering if this will help influence negotiations for the larger Spirit? Still think NK should start at no less than $80k for South Florida living, and to now match as close to B6 starting pay for a smoother transition. MIA/FLL is nearly as expensive as NY these days as well.

Global X in MIA announced new starting pay at $75k on the dispatcher pay spreadsheet. Wondering if this will help influence negotiations for the larger Spirit? Still think NK should start at no less than $80k for South Florida living, and to now match as close to B6 starting pay for a smoother transition. MIA/FLL is nearly as expensive as NY these days as well.
my guess is whatever scale they implement would transfer into B6's somehow (pending merger success). For now they remain their own body with their own choices. Nothing has to coincide with B6 yet. Trials dont even start til October and implementation if successful would take a few years at least.

my guess is whatever scale they implement would transfer into B6's somehow (pending merger success). For now they remain their own body with their own choices. Nothing has to coincide with B6 yet. Trials dont even start til October and implementation if successful would take a few years at least.
True, I have been told they’ve begun the steps to get their single operating certificate in motion in order to help avoid things taking years. Even though it’s not all fully approved yet, they have begun. I do agree NK should be paying minimum $80k as South FL and now MCO are crazy expensive. Unfortunately COL and pay was why I had to leave. Didn’t want to though. If much smaller GlobalX is paying $75k staring in MIA, and smaller Allegiant is paying $80k starting for living in LAS then hopefully NK will be that at minimum. I hear Frontier is almost at a new contract agreement too and will be close to Allegiant. Friends there in DEN tell me the new contract is so much better that they wouldn’t mind staying there now and would be happy. Hope the same can happen for NK.

Last edited:
True, I have been told they’ve begun the steps to get their single operating certificate in motion in order to help avoid things taking years. Even though it’s not all fully approved yet, they have begun. I do agree NK should be paying minimum $80k as South FL and now MCO are crazy expensive. Unfortunately COL and pay was why I had to leave. Didn’t want to though. If much smaller GlobalX is paying $75k staring in MIA, and smaller Allegiant is paying $80k starting for living in LAS then hopefully NK will be that at minimum. I hear Frontier is almost at a new contract agreement too and will be close to Allegiant. Friends there in DEN tell me the new contract is so much better that they wouldn’t mind staying there now and would be happy. Hope the same can happen for NK.
F9 out and matches AAY/B6 so now time for NK to follow suit.

Kinda surprised there hasn’t been an F9 thread announcing their new $79-150k payscale but confirmed it with an F9 friend. Good for them and all the others in the $80k range now. Here’s hoping Spirit does the same, they deserve and need it.
Hopefully someone does just so we can see the details of it. Cautiously optimistic Spirit should have it figured out by the end of the year.

Since it's been a few months since anything was posted here, I'll bring any curious people up to speed about the current state of affairs at Spirit Airlines, at least from the perspective of one lowly Dispatcher:

1) Morale is at an all-time low. I have only been here a relatively short time but Dispatchers who have been here for years have said they have never seen the relationship between managers and employees so acrimonious in all their years working here. People openly mock the extreme disparity in pay daily, and loudly enough so that management can hear. Management often responds with petty "gotcha" punishments instead of addressing the problems.
2) There are a few people in management who are sympathetic to Dispatch's criticisms and concerns, but they sadly have no power over negotiations. As a result, management's overall response save for a few individuals has run the gamut of outright ignoring us to overt spite.
3) The anti-trust trial against JetBlue just finished with closing remarks yesterday. The judge needs to deliberate before making a decision and that could take weeks. It's honestly a coin-flip at this point whether it goes through or not. We are hopeful that if it does, union negotiations will proceed more quickly, but no one is holding their breath. In addition, both airlines are hurting for money, so even a favorable outcome for B6 will not necessarily imply smooth sailing.
4) There are two more union meetings for the contract this month, but the previous meetings did not go well, with the company citing financial issues as a reason why they cannot afford to give us a raise to industry standard pay. I do not know nor wish to know any further specifics with regards to negotiations and even if I did I would not share them here. Just know that expectations are appropriately LOW for anything getting done before the end of the year.

The overall mood in the office is mocking fatalism, with the only joy begotten from satire at the sheer ridiculousness of our situation. It's a shame, as I really enjoy it here overall as the work group, winter Florida climate and schedule are all excellent, but the fact that management seems to actively hate the department combined with the huge pay disparity in the highest inflation COL area in the nation is difficult to overlook.

Since it's been a few months since anything was posted here, I'll bring any curious people up to speed about the current state of affairs at Spirit Airlines, at least from the perspective of one lowly Dispatcher:

1) Morale is at an all-time low. I have only been here a relatively short time but Dispatchers who have been here for years have said they have never seen the relationship between managers and employees so acrimonious in all their years working here. People openly mock the extreme disparity in pay daily, and loudly enough so that management can hear. Management often responds with petty "gotcha" punishments instead of addressing the problems.
2) There are a few people in management who are sympathetic to Dispatch's criticisms and concerns, but they sadly have no power over negotiations. As a result, management's overall response save for a few individuals has run the gamut of outright ignoring us to overt spite.
3) The anti-trust trial against JetBlue just finished with closing remarks yesterday. The judge needs to deliberate before making a decision and that could take weeks. It's honestly a coin-flip at this point whether it goes through or not. We are hopeful that if it does, union negotiations will proceed more quickly, but no one is holding their breath. In addition, both airlines are hurting for money, so even a favorable outcome for B6 will not necessarily imply smooth sailing.
4) There are two more union meetings for the contract this month, but the previous meetings did not go well, with the company citing financial issues as a reason why they cannot afford to give us a raise to industry standard pay. I do not know nor wish to know any further specifics with regards to negotiations and even if I did I would not share them here. Just know that expectations are appropriately LOW for anything getting done before the end of the year.

The overall mood in the office is mocking fatalism, with the only joy begotten from satire at the sheer ridiculousness of our situation. It's a shame, as I really enjoy it here overall as the work group, winter Florida climate and schedule are all excellent, but the fact that management seems to actively hate the department combined with the huge pay disparity in the highest inflation COL area in the nation is difficult to overlook.

This is hard to read. All ULCC/LCC’s with the exception of WN I guess are hurting financially so to use that as an excuse to not offer industry standard pay is appalling. ESPECIALLY since all pilot groups, LCC or not, received huge raises the last few years. Sure, that might be attributed to the pilot shortage and attrition, but nonetheless.

Can you elaborate more on your statement that management hates your department? Would they appreciate y’all more if every single dispatcher max fueled each flight for months? Maybe then they would realize just how much dispatchers can affect the bottom line- especially given how expensive oil is right now.

thanks for the update. as a former NK dispatcher, it’s a sad read for sure. i’m hoping for the best for you guys

Back