Spirit Hiring

This is incredible especially considering that LAS has a lower cost of living than most of the country and definitely far less than Florida. Pressure on NK for sure, hope NK PAFCA fights for this at minimum.
Can you provide some proof that LAS is a lower cost of living? There are some that would highly disagree with LAS COL being low.

The Allegiant TA is just that at the moment. A TA being voted on. Whether it passes or not won't be known until the voting closes. Seems likely to pass, but again, that hasn't been announced quite yet.

I think Spirit’s elephant in the room will affect their hiring as much if not more than pay. People have to go the unknown of becoming a JetBlue dispatcher over the next couple years and what that could mean. The pay will certainly be better but there are no guarantees yet if staying in Florida will be a choice, though it seems likely with JB saying they are keeping Spirits new Dania Beach facility.
The flip side of this is that JB's daily flights are going to double if the merge is approved, they can't afford to lose the bodies and it's pretty well known that if they try to force everyone from Spirit to move to NY they're gonna lose a vast majority of them.

Also Spirit is still working on the new HQ so it stands to reason they are gonna keep it split, but probably get rid of MCO.

The flip side of this is that JB's daily flights are going to double if the merge is approved, they can't afford to lose the bodies and it's pretty well known that if they try to force everyone from Spirit to move to NY they're gonna lose a vast majority of them.

Also Spirit is still working on the new HQ so it stands to reason they are gonna keep it split, but probably get rid of MCO.
JB has a large and very nice inflight training facility in MCO. Since Spirit already trains in MCO in the same building as the OCC, it would be fitting to move that part of the operation to the other side of the airport where JB is and that would then allow additional space for OCC ops or offices / training for JB. Keeping MCO would be beneficial as it would be an extension to FLL when hurricanes hit etc. But it could very well fold and then the option given to go to either NY or FLL for the MCO folks.

JB has a large and very nice inflight training facility in MCO. Since Spirit already trains in MCO in the same building as the OCC, it would be fitting to move that part of the operation to the other side of the airport where JB is and that would then allow additional space for OCC ops or offices / training for JB. Keeping MCO would be beneficial as it would be an extension to FLL when hurricanes hit etc. But it could very well fold and then the option given to go to either NY or FLL for the MCO folks.
That's definitely an option but MCO as it is right now can't hold much in the OCC. If they decided to build it up and use it as a large backup facility that would make a lot of sense to me.

Welp pressure on spirit to at least match or lose more dispatchers
Spirit needs to come in higher than that. The only ones benefiting from matching Allegiant would be the bottom of the scale and we all know that never happens in a union contract.

No one seems to be expecting Majors pay, but definitely getting close to Alaska's old pay scale would be a much needed relief.

Are you talking Alaska's old payscale from 2018?
They need to do much, much better than that.
Inflation has been around 25% since then. If they can't give significantly more than "close to Alaska's old pay scale" then it's pretty clear they don't respect their employees, nor do they want to make it a career destination.

They should also be paying a premium for the uncertainty that goes along with their merger - Asking people to come work in a high cost of living area, only to maybe move in a year or two, all while being unsure of when/where/for who.

They likely won't be at WN/DL/UA pay, but it would be a shame for their employees to sell themselves so short and accept something that doesn't even get them in the ballpark of current industry standard contracts.

Management wants to match Spirit dx pay at allegiant/frontier scale, but the unions is working for something closer to JB. Both the union and management know that the initial dispatcher pay is the reason behind their lack of retention

Management wants to match Spirit dx pay at allegiant/frontier scale, but the unions is working for something closer to JB. Both the union and management know that the initial dispatcher pay is the reason behind their lack of retention

I think Allegiant is aligned with B6 now with their new pay scale, maybe even a little better off. I’m not sure about Frontier.

I think Allegiant is aligned with B6 now with their new pay scale, maybe even a little better off. I’m not sure about Frontier.
I heard frontier is having issues with the company showing up to meetings to negotiate a better contract

Yeah, their new proposed TA is somewhat aligned with B6 (In pay at least) But lets not kid ourselves - they are in the ballpark of an old and outdated pay scale from B6. B6 is in negotiations and will very soon have pay rates comparable to Alaska. Essentially, the new Allegiant TA is Spirit's current (5 year old) contract, but starting at 3rd year pay. Top out is very similar.
It is a great improvement for them for sure, but to say it's better off than B6 would be a stretch.

Can you provide some proof that LAS is a lower cost of living? There are some that would highly disagree with LAS COL being low.
I said LAS was lower, not low. I can tell you that when I lived in Seattle, a simple 1 bedroom apartment 45 minutes to an hour south of Seattle down in Tacoma was $1700+. One day I called some apartments that were resort style with a theater, a zero entry beach style pool and much, much more… the man on the phone quoted $1300… I was like what’s wrong it?! He couldn’t figure out why I was asking. Finally, we both realized I was calling apartments in Las Vegas! The number was wrong. We both laughed but I never forgot that price difference and what you get for it. Living in South Florida 1 bedrooms were $1900-$2200 last year for very basic. One place for $1700 had graffiti on the outside and bars on the windows. I know Denver isn’t far behind that either. I just had a UA FO friend move from San Francisco to United’s new LAS base because the COL is so much better and he’ll be able to buy a much larger home for the money. He even gave up flying Airbuses and switched to the 737 (which he hates lol) to be able to transfer to LAS.

If you want proof just do some simple research and pretend like you’re shopping for a 1 bedroom apartment, but also look at home prices in LAS. Then do it for Denver, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta and wherever else you’re curious about. Don’t go off of statistics because that is often old, averaged info. I agree after covid, prices everywhere have skyrocketed so I’m sure LAS is pricier than what it once was as well. But if you’re not looking for resort style living it does not match other cities across the US still.

Yeah, their new proposed TA is somewhat aligned with B6 (In pay at least) But lets not kid ourselves - they are in the ballpark of an old and outdated pay scale from B6. B6 is in negotiations and will very soon have pay rates comparable to Alaska. Essentially, the new Allegiant TA is Spirit's current (5 year old) contract, but starting at 3rd year pay. Top out is very similar.
It is a great improvement for them for sure, but to say it's better off than B6 would be a stretch.
The top out is 12 grand higher, the scale didn’t include the yearly contract raises. As I said before this isn’t a new TA exactly, more of a compensation plan since that was the only thing addressed. We will be negotiating in 2 years for a new contract and can hopefully mirror what B6 gets, if it’s close to Alaskas scale.

Last edited:
JetBlue’s pay will certainly end up higher than both Spirit and Allegiant, as it should. Probably somewhere between Alaska and the legacies. Was that like a 30% bump for Allegiant? That’s a pretty huge win considering.

The top out is 12 grand higher, the scale didn’t include the yearly contract raises. As I said before this isn’t a new TA exactly, more of a compensation plan since that was the only thing addressed. We will be negotiating in 2 years for a new contract and can hopefully mirror what B6 gets, if it’s close to Alaskas scale.

Allegiant must work a lot of hours to get to $12K higher, as the top out pay is $3/hour higher than Spirit's 2018 contract.
I think the 2 year deal was a great way to do things though.

Allegiant must work a lot of hours to get to $12K higher, as the top out pay is $3/hour higher than Spirit's 2018 contract.
I think the 2 year deal was a great way to do things though.
7 dollars higher. We top out at 68.38 and I believe spirit is 61, based on the spreadsheet. Scale is also 12 years compared to 15. Im hoping B6 sets a new standard for LCC/ULCC when they get a new scale.

7 dollars higher. We top out at 68.38 and I believe spirit is 61, based on the spreadsheet. Scale is also 12 years compared to 15. Im hoping B6 sets a new standard for LCC/ULCC when they get a new scale.

Spirit is $64.
12 year scale is definitely a huge plus.

Back