Spirit Hiring

I’m debating … how far does $28 an hour go living in FLL ?
If you believe in following the 30% rule...

$28/hr x 80 hours = 2240 x 0.30 = 672 * 2 = 1344. You could reasonably round that up to 1400, so you could, in theory, afford $1400 rent putting aside $700 per check.
Median gross rent in Fort Lauderdale is $1353 according to the US Census between 2016-2020. It's probably a little higher now.

How far the pay goes depends on your financial situation, but as far as housing goes you could in theory afford it. In theory.

$28/hr x 80 hours = 2240 x 0.30 = 672 * 2 = 1344. You could reasonably round that up to 1400, so you could, in theory, afford $1400 rent putting aside $700 per check.
Median gross rent in Fort Lauderdale is $1353 according to the US Census between 2016-2020. It's probably a little higher now.

How far the pay goes depends on your financial situation, but as far as housing goes you could in theory afford it. In theory.

I’m showing rents starting at $2,200 … mean at $2,600

I’m showing rents starting at $2,200 … mean at $2,600

It depends where you look. I use the Census in my example and on the spreadsheet because it is more "official" being a Government study, but it does have its flaws such as being now 2 years out of date. The 3rd party sites vary widely on what they say is "average". A quick search for 1 bdr and max price of $1400 returns several results on Apartments.com and Zillow, but yes there are some very swanky places going for well over $2k. You just gotta search around. Also I can't comment on the safety of some of the neighborhoods that came up in my quick search. YMMV.

It depends where you look. I use the Census in my example and on the spreadsheet because it is more "official" being a Government study, but it does have its flaws such as being now 2 years out of date. The 3rd party sites vary widely on what they say is "average". A quick search for 1 bdr and max price of $1400 returns several results on Apartments.com and Zillow, but yes there are some very swanky places going for well over $2k. You just gotta search around. Also I can't comment on the safety of some of the neighborhoods that came up in my quick search. YMMV.

Sadly, rents have skyrocketed in South Florida since pre-pandemic levels, just like everything else. What used to be $1400 for 1br is now $2000+. Many DXers have seen huge increases in their rate at renewal time. If you get creative you can get housing for much less, or consider having a few roommates for the first year or two.

The hours per year is 1825, 76 per pay period which is 2 times a month. So it’s more like 640 per check

Looking at the 1 bedrooms under $1400 a month… you have lauderhill, Oakland park, inverrary, Miami Gardens, Hollywood. Those are pretty much the worst places to live in Fort Lauderdale.

I suppose it depends if you're willing to tough it out for a few years, but the 3rd and 4th year bump in pay for the contract is definitely generous. But it is very expensive to live in South Florida.

Hoping that the merger goes through might also be a reason for some to consider Spirit. JetBlue money is a lot better.

Hoping that the merger goes through might also be a reason for some to consider Spirit. JetBlue money is a lot better.
JetBlue money also demands a higher starting and end pay because it's in Queens lol. With the rate of inflation kicking up housing/rental prices in South Florida though, they may be approaching NYC prices if the trend continues.

My experience when I moved down last year was that apartments that were $1400-$1500 in Spring of 2021 had now shot up to $1800-$2000. All the landlords and apartment hunters I used told me rents had skyrocketed just in the last few months from end of summer to Fall of 2021. You def have to get creative, as in maybe rent airbnbs months at a time for a while, sometimes they’re cheaper. Or find rommmates / crashpads if possible. There was even someone who managed to live on a 55+ property for a cheaper rent because she shared a place with an older family member. The consensus’ are definitely in dire need of true updating to reflect 2022 prices, almost 2023. You can find properties that are $1500 give or take, but they’re definitely older and you may have to sacrifice things like a washer / dryer or dishwasher etc. Not always but usually. If you’re willing to rent condos from private landlords be prepared to fork over first, last and one months rent upfront… so 3 months rent minimum as deposit. They all ask for that but there’s so many condos available. That’s the issue too besides lack of land for building due to the Everglades and ocean, but majority of the properties down here are private condos or luxury apartments. Investors from around the world snatch up these places and rent them for whatever they want. There’s no rent control in FL either. And after covid a lot of NYers and others with their money moved down here offering a year of rent upfront causing bidding wars and rents to shoot up. All this was info I have been told by landlords and apartment hunters, as well as some news articles about it over the last year. It’s fact.

Orlando honestly isn’t that much more affordable these days either. Maybe $100-$200 difference on rents but I scoured there as well and was extremely disappointed by the options and what you get for your money now. Also way less beautiful, the oceans an hour away minimum and more. Being such a tourist city investors have snatched up properties there as well and after so many hurricanes / earthquakes in Puerto Rico many have flocked to Orlando now, as well as people from South Florida hoping for something cheaper. It’s all pricey now in FL.

That being said, Spirits union sent out a notice of contract negotiations starting Spring 2023. And after personal conversations with dxers at JetBlue they are set to renegotiate pay this Fall too (which they do every 2 years instead of 5 like most airlines). The B6 dxers are strongly under the impression that JetBlue will be upping their pay greatly as well, not only for inflation but to persuade them from voting to join Spirits union if they fully merge. When I saw JetBlue’s pay scale I was very pleasantly surprised that it’s only about a year behind some legacy’s pay. So if they’re renegotiating this Fall as well… : )

Hopefully Spirit will get their head out of the sand and renegotiate a far better pay until this merger is complete, as it could take a many years to be one operating certificate. They must negotiate. They’re very aware they need to do something if they don’t want to keep losing people, and have acknowledged themselves the much higher cost of living after covid and inflation.

Spirit PAFCA recently queried the company about beginning contract negotiations early, which was declined. There was some hope that we could eke out a TA on pay scale only due to the massive increases in cost of living, but the company, as usual, wants nothing to do with that.

Any updates for the people who were supposed to have in person interviews tomorrow? That still happening with the hurricane headed towards FL?

My experience when I moved down last year was that apartments that were $1400-$1500 in Spring of 2021 had now shot up to $1800-$2000. All the landlords and apartment hunters I used told me rents had skyrocketed just in the last few months from end of summer to Fall of 2021. You def have to get creative, as in maybe rent airbnbs months at a time for a while, sometimes they’re cheaper. Or find rommmates / crashpads if possible. There was even someone who managed to live on a 55+ property for a cheaper rent because she shared a place with an older family member. The consensus’ are definitely in dire need of true updating to reflect 2022 prices, almost 2023. You can find properties that are $1500 give or take, but they’re definitely older and you may have to sacrifice things like a washer / dryer or dishwasher etc. Not always but usually. If you’re willing to rent condos from private landlords be prepared to fork over first, last and one months rent upfront… so 3 months rent minimum as deposit. They all ask for that but there’s so many condos available. That’s the issue too besides lack of land for building due to the Everglades and ocean, but majority of the properties down here are private condos or luxury apartments. Investors from around the world snatch up these places and rent them for whatever they want. There’s no rent control in FL either. And after covid a lot of NYers and others with their money moved down here offering a year of rent upfront causing bidding wars and rents to shoot up. All this was info I have been told by landlords and apartment hunters, as well as some news articles about it over the last year. It’s fact.

Orlando honestly isn’t that much more affordable these days either. Maybe $100-$200 difference on rents but I scoured there as well and was extremely disappointed by the options and what you get for your money now. Also way less beautiful, the oceans an hour away minimum and more. Being such a tourist city investors have snatched up properties there as well and after so many hurricanes / earthquakes in Puerto Rico many have flocked to Orlando now, as well as people from South Florida hoping for something cheaper. It’s all pricey now in FL.

That being said, Spirits union sent out a notice of contract negotiations starting Spring 2023. And after personal conversations with dxers at JetBlue they are set to renegotiate pay this Fall too (which they do every 2 years instead of 5 like most airlines). The B6 dxers are strongly under the impression that JetBlue will be upping their pay greatly as well, not only for inflation but to persuade them from voting to join Spirits union if they fully merge. When I saw JetBlue’s pay scale I was very pleasantly surprised that it’s only about a year behind some legacy’s pay. So if they’re renegotiating this Fall as well… : )

Hopefully Spirit will get their head out of the sand and renegotiate a far better pay until this merger is complete, as it could take a many years to be one operating certificate. They must negotiate. They’re very aware they need to do something if they don’t want to keep losing people, and have acknowledged themselves the much higher cost of living after covid and inflation.

Best option is find a long term campground/rv park and pay to live there. Then go out and buy a small trailer on a loan and live out of that. Will be far cheaper than any apartment and at the end you have a camper lol. Only problem for me was finding a place to park with all the hookups

There are/were dispatchers that live(d) out of their car.

Totally pathetic that a major US airline isn't paying enough to new hires for them to even have a basic apartment.
I have a few contacts over there that all say the same thing - the relationship with management has deteriorated greatly in the past few years and there's no sign of anything improving.

It is definitely wrong to only be starting at a few dollars more than some regionals now. Or if someone already has 2-3 years experience to not start them at the 2-3 year pay like some regionals do. The contract was made 5 years ago when cost of living was far lower. That’s why I hate 5 year contracts. I don’t think any airline should have them, they should be no longer than 3 in my opinion. Probably easier said than done but just seems by the end of 5 years so many factors and issues change that employees are always so anxious and in desperate need of an update.

As far as the 2 dxers that were living in their cars… one of them chose to do so not only because rent is expensive, but because he knew he wasn’t staying in FLL long. As soon as MCO opened which was a month or so after he got here, he went up to MCO and had a room to stay at a family members place. Now he’s gone to a legacy so he’s not even here anymore. One of many who have been hired to legacies recently, and were here less than a year. Again Spirit would retain good dxers longer, or even for life if they had decent and truly competitive pay. Many of those people who recently left for legacies did not want to leave FL or even Spirit, they just couldn’t get by.

The other dxer who currently lives in his car is a bit of a “free spirit” if you will (no pun intended). He likes not being committed to a lease or anything permanent and he often flies out traveling to awesome, distant places on all his days off with the money he saves from not having rent. Then he showers at a gym he works out at. That definitely isn’t the life for everyone by any means, but he actually seems somewhat content when I spoke to him about it.

But yes that being said people should not be forced into having roommates at certain ages, or to live in cars or campgrounds permanently, or at home with family… They should be able to get a safe, basic place to live and to be able to save for a house one day. I had looked at a 1 bedroom apartment for $1700 in 2021. It ended up having bars on the windows and graffiti on the outside of the building. This was closer to Miami itself though. No thanks.

Totally pathetic that a major US airline isn't paying enough to new hires for them to even have a basic apartment.
I have a few contacts over there that all say the same thing - the relationship with management has deteriorated greatly in the past few years and there's no sign of anything improving.

kinda glad i didnt get the interview..

Any updates for the people who were supposed to have in person interviews tomorrow? That still happening with the hurricane headed towards FL?
They have rescheduled the final in-person/group interview as of yesterday to Friday, September 30th. I am not sure if that plan is going to change again due to Hurricane Ian making landfall sometime tomorrow and into the weekend. Since Spirit is in South Florida and Ian is hitting the central or northern Gulf Coast, it's hard to say how much it will impact things and it seems they're playing it by ear. In an email I received, they also made it sound like another round of virtual interviews may be on the table in lieu of trying to fly everyone into the state while a Category 4 hurricane is going on.

As of right this instant though, the interviews are still on for Friday, but that may be subject to change in the next few days.

Last edited:
They are doing virtual interviews now on Thursday & Friday .. does anyone know if they give you a hotel the first month as you settle in the area ?

They are doing virtual interviews now on Thursday & Friday .. does anyone know if they give you a hotel the first month as you settle in the area ?
There is no relocation help of any kind, same goes for the legacies (AA, UA, DL). The way these airlines look at it is, if you want to work for them you’ll find a way. Not saying it’s right or wrong, it’s just the way the majors and legacies are.

Back