Spirit Flight 165: Uncontained Engine Failure

meh... The media blows this stuff way out of proportion. Mechanical things break and just because that mechanical thing has wings the US media and public like to make a big show of it. I think Spirit has one of the newer fleets too don't they? Far newer than AA or Delta I'd imagine.

Sheesh. Just an engine failure. The one I had was no big deal.

The one I had was no big deal either. 50 pax made it safely to their destination in a single engine RJ. I posted the article because it is being pretty widely claimed at this point that this was uncontained. I don't know about your's, or Doug's, or anybody else's, but mine wasn't a big deal because all of the pieces stayed inside the cowl. If the reports are true (big if), then this is slightly more than "just an engine failure."

I presumed no pieces came out. I really don't know. At the end of the day, it's the same result. Go land! :)

Hmmm. When was the last time a Boeing had an un-contained failure? Seems like Airbus needs to work on that.

Hmmm. When was the last time a Boeing had an un-contained failure? Seems like Airbus needs to work on that.
I see what you did there. ;)
But engines and cowlings are made by GE, IAE etc. not by the airframe manufacturer. So maybe the V2500 (popular in the US, we use the CFM) is more prone to UF than the CFM's...

Sounds like it was a dingle arm failure on the retro encabulator.

I think:

a. The general public, and us, don't realize how many times airlines blow engines
b. Some of the technical guys here don't understand much of what we know about engines are, well, we've got two of 'em. :)

Back