Spirit Flight 165: Uncontained Engine Failure

I appreciate your video, and Al was a helluva speaker for us one year, but I'd suggest reading about the design of the hydraulic system on the DC-10.

Even though there's video of people freaking out, the Spirit engine failure isn't to the level of getting too excited about. Of course, do what you want, but there's far scarier boogeymen out there that go under the radar of over-dramatic passengers with smartphones.

t there's far scarier boogeymen out there that go under the radar of over-dramatic passengers with smartphones.
Absolutely but dismissing an uncontained failure as a run of the mill failure, well I suppose that is where we part ways.

It depends on the particular situation, as an uncontained can run the gamut from fairly benign, all the way to what Delta 1288 at P-Cola in 1996 had, where the MD-88 on takeoff roll had an uncontained that ended up with 2 fatal pax.

From the benign to the worst case, and everything in between.

Absolutely but dismissing an uncontained failure as a run of the mill failure, well I suppose that is where we part ways.

Nah, again, video and "goodbye forever" tweets don't make this any more compelling from a forensic standpoint than other failures.

Far scarier things happen off the radar and unnoticed by passengers.

I'm 42, I have "OH MAH GAWWWDZ"-fatigue.

It depends on the particular situation, as an uncontained can run the gamut from fairly benign, all the way to what Delta 1288 at P-Cola in 1996 had, where the MD-88 on takeoff roll had an uncontained that ended up with 2 fatal pax.

From the benign to the worst case, and everything in between.
I hate sitting back there on any airplane with fuse-mounted engines.

SFO based guys probably.

Also, if ANYTHING wrong had happened after they picked up their plane (and that's not outside the realm of possibility when you are picking up a plane from heavy MX) they would have been knocked over the fact that they had an abnormal event earlier in the day (even as passengers) and decided to continue.

@BobDDuck:

I don't fly professionally and had not thought of the situation this way, however according to what @ChasenSFO described they sounded a little over dramatic for two professionals who have probably handled inflight emergencies sometime in their career.

@BobDDuck:

I don't fly professionally and had not thought of the situation this way, however according to what @ChasenSFO described they sounded a little over dramatic for two professionals who have probably handled inflight emergencies sometime in their career.

Maybe. I wasn't there.

All I know is that I've sent my entire crew home (my self included) after we were on a deadhead that had to shut down an engine due to oil problems.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

@BobDDuck:

Remember, I wasn't there. I glanced over at the scene from a distance once or twice and nothing looked strange, just 2 UAL pilots talking to the manager slightly more animated then normal conversation. All I know as far as them being dramatic is that at least one pax apparently heard enough of the conversation to know her SMF-ORD leg was in jeopardy. Given how unobservant the average passenger is, maybe they got a little loud. My understanding is that they only got upset when the shift manager basically laughed in their faces for refusing to board the new plane, I don't blame them.

I was on a Diesel 9 years ago going into IAD when it popped a motor during windshear on the approach. Me and the NWA heard it and as the power went up on the good engine while windshear warning could be clearly heard in the first class section. We didn't think much of it other than I'm going to be late now. The pilot went and relit it and shot the approach and it flamed or again on the rollout due to a compressor stall. Not one camera came out and the pax deplaned like it was no big deal.

I was on a Diesel 9 years ago going into IAD when it popped a motor during windshear on the approach. Me and the NWA heard it and as the power went up on the good engine while windshear warning could be clearly heard in the first class section. We didn't think much of it other than I'm going to be late now. The pilot went and relit it and shot the approach and it flamed or again on the rollout due to a compressor stall. Not one camera came out and the pax deplaned like it was no big deal.

Well that sort of stuff is EXPECTED when you fly on old dangerous airplanes.

It's a Douglas, what did you expect was going to happen?

Remember, I wasn't there. I glanced over at the scene from a distance once or twice and nothing looked strange, just 2 UAL pilots talking to the manager slightly more animated then normal conversation. All I know as far as them being dramatic is that at least one pax apparently heard enough of the conversation to know her SMF-ORD leg was in jeopardy. Given how unobservant the average passenger is, maybe they got a little loud. My understanding is that they only got upset when the shift manager basically laughed in their faces for refusing to board the new plane, I don't blame them.
@ChasenSFO Thanks for the clarification.

Back