Spirit Flight 165: Uncontained Engine Failure

You know, one time when I was a gate agent, we had an SFO-SMF Brasilia have an engine failure on takeoff and return to the field. It was a full flight(well 27 so "Brasilia full"), a plane at the gate next door was sitting for several hours, so within 20 minutes all but 2 pax were back on board the new airplane and ready to go. Which 2 opted out? 2 United pilots dead-heading to SMF to pick up an Airbus and fly SMF-ORD who claimed that the engine failure freaked them out so much they would not set foot on the new plane, nor would they finish their trip. Nevermind that none of the pax or crew of the Brasilia freaked out at all and were more annoyed then anything. The SMF-ORD flight canceled as a result.

:)
So their options were as follows:

1) Get paid to go to the hotel.
2) Get paid to go to work.

Wait, what was the question again?

Q400 pilots just look at the plane, 'If you don't straighten up, I'm gonna pop you'. On the ground, control/alt/delete and try again.
This! There's a certain amount of sweet vengeance in hearing the "snap! snap!" sounds of the airplane being powered down and everything going dark.

So their options were as follows:

1) Get paid to go home.
2) Get paid to go to work.

SFO based guys probably.

Also, if ANYTHING wrong had happened after they picked up their plane (and that's not outside the realm of possibility when you are picking up a plane from heavy MX) they would have been knocked over the fact that they had an abnormal event earlier in the day (even as passengers) and decided to continue.

Also, if ANYTHING wrong had happened after they picked up their plane (and that's not outside the realm of possibility when you are picking up a plane from heavy MX) they would have been knocked over the fact that they had an abnormal event earlier in the day (even as passengers) and decided to continue.
Really? If they were to blow a tire landing in ORD, they would be asked "You were in the back of a Skywest flight that lost an engine on your deadhead, and you DARE continue the trip to ORD and allow this to happen?". Seems...strange.

Really? If they were to blow a tire landing in ORD, they would be asked "You were in the back of a Skywest flight that lost an engine on your deadhead, and you DARE continue the trip to ORD and allow this to happen?". Seems...strange.

Not at all. Did they maybe brake too hard because they were thinking about the engine failure earlier in the day? Maybe if they were more focused they would have landed softer. Did they sideload the plane at all because of the lack of concentration?

Not at all. Did they maybe brake too hard because they were thinking about the engine failure earlier in the day? Maybe if they were more focused they would have landed softer. Did they sideload the plane at all because of the lack of concentration?
Ah, gotcha.

I see what you did there. ;)
But engines and cowlings are made by GE, IAE etc. not by the airframe manufacturer. So maybe the V2500 (popular in the US, we use the CFM) is more prone to UF than the CFM's...
Engine Cowlings are made not by the engine manufacturer, but by companies like NORDAM in TUlsa Oklahoma.

I saw that airplane parked near the Delta cargo area the other day. Lots of guys in hats standing around looking at the engine with the cowl open. We thought it was some sort of training event.

Didn't really seem like a big deal at that point.

I saw that airplane parked near the Delta cargo area the other day. Lots of guys in hats standing around looking at the engine with the cowl open. We thought it was some sort of training event.

Didn't really seem like a big deal at that point.
"GROUNDED AIRPLANE HAS OFFICIALS LOOKING INTO ENGINE RELIABILITY. More at 6"

Big deal now!

On my commuter flight, there was a passenger pulled off the plane tonight because of an issue.

Some one said, "Oh, the Sky Marshals showed up" and about ten people stand up in the aisle with their camera phones and start filming parroting "Ok, I'm on XXXXXXXX and we have a passenger where the sky marshals showed up to remove her." One said, "I ahhh I ahhhh just dodged a big security risk. That was too close"

No, they weren't "sky marshals", whatever in the world those are, they were PARAMEDICS and the passenger was medically distressed.

It wasn't that big of a deal, but people + jets + camera phones + the need to be an "I was there, I saw it all and I have video evidence" is simply idiotic.

On my commuter flight, there was a passenger pulled off the plane tonight because of an issue.

Some one said, "Oh, the Sky Marshals showed up" and about ten people stand up in the aisle with their camera phones and start filming parroting "Ok, I'm on XXXXXXXX and we have a passenger where the sky marshals showed up to remove her." One said, "I ahhh I ahhhh just dodged a big security risk. That was too close"

No, they weren't "sky marshals", whatever in the world those are, they were PARAMEDICS and the passenger was medically distressed.

It wasn't that big of a deal, but people + jets + camera phones + the need to be an "I was there, I saw it all and I have video evidence" is simply idiotic.
"Passenger problem? Good luck, Your Airworthiness!" *sips coffee*

Derg's gonna be on youtube!

So now pax who have no idea what is happening around them in airports and airplanes can spread their ignorance to the world at a viral pace. Fantastic.

So now pax who have no idea what is happening around them in airports and airplanes can spread their ignorance to the world at a viral pace. Fantastic.

Eyup.

And if it's on video, filmed in the portrait aspect, and the videographer says "Wellll..." it's irrefutable evidence of what is going on. You see the video don't you? IT'S RIGHT THERE!

Back