Spirit Flight 165: Uncontained Engine Failure

Actually blowing an engine doesn't occur that often. Now having issues that requires a shut down occurs often. Usually involves changing a valve, harness, pump, or some blades.

I did! Couldn't let a delicious sausage egg McMuffin go to waste! Nice long downwind, trimmed up, checklists completed, why not? :)
That's how you're supposed to handle one. Hell drink coffee is both on the bottom and top my Engine failure in flight checklist.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Spirit has one of the newer fleets too don't they? Far newer than AA or Delta I'd imagine.
They do. I read Spirit is one of the few LCCs with which likes to order brand new planes and sell off older ones as they arrive, that way they get great sell back value on the newer planes they get rid off and it works as a fat discount on the new airplanes. Lion Air in Indonesia and Indigo in India do the same thing.

That and people were texting "goodbye forever" to their loved ones. One of them being a "professional pilot" according to the media.

I'm sure there are idiot passengers that do this during a go-around/missed approach too.

And professional pilot my butt. Maybe he's a professional Flight Simulator X pilot......

At my previous employer, let's just call them "Brand Sure", there were an average of 2 engine shutdowns per month on a fleet of roughly 300 airplanes. I don't remember what that equated to in shutdowns per block hour. So yeah, they're pretty common. Granted they were usually a result of a FADEC hiccup or a loss of oil pressure resulting in an automatic shutdown, not structural failure i.e. "uncontained failure".

At my present employer I don't hear about them much, granted we have a smaller fleet (~50 airplanes) and most of them are four engined craft. Obviously an engine failure is not a huge issue when you have 4 of them, as Pepe has so aptly pointed out for us earlier in the thread. The CF6-80C2 has been pretty reliable in my limited experience, as has the GEnx-2B (considering how new it is, I was expecting more teething issues, notwithstanding the ice crystal issues).

And professional pilot my butt. Maybe he's a professional Flight Simulator X pilot......
You know, one time when I was a gate agent, we had an SFO-SMF Brasilia have an engine failure on takeoff and return to the field. It was a full flight(well 27 so "Brasilia full"), a plane at the gate next door was sitting for several hours, so within 20 minutes all but 2 pax were back on board the new airplane and ready to go. Which 2 opted out? 2 United pilots dead-heading to SMF to pick up an Airbus and fly SMF-ORD who claimed that the engine failure freaked them out so much they would not set foot on the new plane, nor would they finish their trip. Nevermind that none of the pax or crew of the Brasilia freaked out at all and were more annoyed then anything. The SMF-ORD flight canceled as a result.

:)

You know, one time when I was a gate agent, we had an SFO-SMF Brasilia have an engine failure on takeoff and return to the field. It was a full flight(well 27 so "Brasilia full"), a plane at the gate next door was sitting for several hours, so within 20 minutes all but 2 pax were back on board the new airplane and ready to go. Which 2 opted out? 2 United pilots dead-heading to SMF to pick up an Airbus and fly SMF-ORD who claimed that the engine failure freaked them out so much they would not set foot on the new plane, nor would they finish their trip. Nevermind that none of the pax or crew of the Brasilia freaked out at all and were more annoyed then anything. The SMF-ORD flight canceled as a result.
Airbus pilot: "What's it doing now?"
Brasilia pilot: "Ah [bleep], it's doing it again?"

And unsurprised.

Airbus pilot: "What's it doing now?"
Brasilia pilot: "Ah [bleep], it's doing it again?"

And unsurprised.
I was pretty surprised when I found out. I wasn't working the flight, but as the United pilots stood yelling about this to a shift manager(who didn't think they were serious at first and was joking with them which pissed them off), pax must have heard them. A lady off the flight approached me at the customer service center and said "I'm supposed to connect in Sac to go to Chicago, but the pilots (kitty)ed out, do I get a hotel or is this an act of god?". Well, as I didn't have any of the info yet, I was taken back by this, confirmed the Skywest crew was indeed taking the new plane to SMF, and sent her on her way. Whoops. :(

ChasenSFO said:
You know, one time when I was a gate agent, we had an SFO-SMF Brasilia have an engine failure on takeoff and return to the field. It was a full flight(well 27 so "Brasilia full"), a plane at the gate next door was sitting for several hours, so within 20 minutes all but 2 pax were back on board the new airplane and ready to go. Which 2 opted out? 2 United pilots dead-heading to SMF to pick up an Airbus and fly SMF-ORD who claimed that the engine failure freaked them out so much they would not set foot on the new plane, nor would they finish their trip. Nevermind that none of the pax or crew of the Brasilia freaked out at all and were more annoyed then anything. The SMF-ORD flight canceled as a result. :)
I refused to finish my trip after my engine failure/smoke all up in hurrrr ONLY because we had to sit for 4.5 hours in the un air conditioned terminal in North Eleuthera waiting for a new airplane to come. They clearly had a reserve crew to finish it off, and I was done.

I refused to finish my trip after my engine failure/smoke all up in hurrrr ONLY because we had to sit for 4.5 hours in the un air conditioned terminal in North Eleuthera waiting for a new airplane to come. They clearly had a reserve crew to finish it off, and I was done.
Did someone overservice the oil again?

Kill me if I ever fly something where "automatic shutdown" is a thing

And yes, I am aware that the unfortunate folk in my community already live with this cancer (coughsuperhornetcough)

Kill me if I ever fly something where "automatic shutdown" is a thing

And yes, I am aware that the unfortunate folk in my community already live with this cancer (coughsuperhornetcough)
Automatic feathering is beautiful. But not the same thing.

Even ALPA came around on it on the Martin 404, when they were given a demo of just how badass securing the inoperative engine's propeller automatically was (and the massive difference it made in that airplane's takeoff performance, too).

Back