Spatial Disorientation

Thanks for that, and how are things up in Moses Lake these days?

It was about Sept. 1984 the last time I flew over, in a KC 135A model, out of Castle. I loved it up there, but the wife loves Florida...so we live here.

It was a good run @ MWH. We did a drop near Klamath Falls so we are in Klmt until at least Saturday 0900 day off (tomorrow.)

Beat me to it

Holy crap. Yes clouds don't show up on radar. We have covered that, I'm sure the OP knows that now, or did - who cares. If you read the thread it's been repeated at least 5 times.

The OP shared a story, and we shared a little bit on insight that we may or may not have, but lets not beat the guy up.

Often what happens is people respond to the original post before reading the responses from others....try not to take it as piling on;)

I think the thing that got some people kind of aggressive on this one is the fact this guy used a tone of superiority in his delivery, then didn't know something as basic as radar not showing clouds. And then to top it all off he accepted no responsibility for having made some poor decisions. That all makes people concerned for his safety, and for their own, having to share the sky with someone like that.

I think the thing that got some people kind of aggressive on this one is the fact this guy used a tone of superiority in his delivery, then didn't know something as basic as radar not showing clouds. And then to top it all off he accepted no responsibility for having made some poor decisions. That all makes people concerned for his safety, and for their own, having to share the sky with someone like that.

I get that, I am just educating some to the fact that people respond BEFORE they read the other posts, and often say the same thing...which, SHOULD reinforce the message to the OP, honestly, that maybe this is a good way to adjust your thinking.

To the OP, you said yourself the point of this was because you had made mistakes (as did I and all of us....matter of fact I made one a couple of days ago). Please try to take the criticism with a learning spirit, and not let some of the more strident strikes prevent you from getting the more important message that has been delivered.

I also think your original stated purpose has been realized;)

Holy crap. Yes clouds don't show up on radar. We have covered that, I'm sure the OP knows that now, or did - who cares. If you read the thread it's been repeated at least 5 times.

The OP shared a story, and we shared a little bit on insight that we may or may not have, but lets not beat the guy up.

I appreciate it. Y'all didn't scare me off completely. I apologize for any use of diction that any of you may've taken to heart. If any of you ever meet me in person, I'm one of the most inquisitive people you'd ever meet. Some of my defensiveness came from my perceived harshness of some of the responses. I most certainly don't mean to come off with "white coat syndrome" as is said of doctors (which I'm not). Even with everything, I'm glad that I shared the story and have hopefully worked all of this out...it will influence my future decisions. You rarely know the decisions that you make that save your life.

Looks like if I'd added a single waypoint to my route, it would've only added 10 miles and put me within gliding distance of airports and interstates my entire way back. I should have done that. I remember telling a friend about my trip and said that one day I'll look back and share it as a story from "back when I was young and stupid," if I make it that long.

They say that the first 1000 hours of any pilot's experience are filled with mistakes, "
And the second thousand, and the third thousand, and on and on...people will always make mistakes. They may not be "filled" with mistakes but you're always going to make them.

And to people that say that night VFR is dangerous or what not it's really not. Proper planning and trusting your equipment is paramount. If you don't trust the plane or its engines at night why would you trust them in the day? The logic just doesn't compute with me.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-michigan-plane-crash,0,1519367.story

So...you think these guys could have put it down in the lake gently enough for -any- survivors at night? And what about the fishing boats finding them...at night?

If you fly single engine at night with no plan B, expect to die. It's awfully dark down there and that's a bitch when it comes to choosing a good soft place to put down and judging your flare. Try flying at night to any unlit runway with your landing light off, see how that works out for you, I recommend practicing that long before you go cross country at night in a single.

BTW, I don't trust singles in the day time either, but at lesat I can see what's below me.

If you fly single engine at night with no plan B, expect to die. It's awfully dark down there and that's a bitch when it comes to choosing a good soft place to put down and judging your flare.

Some people find that to be a risk that they are willing to take. Hey, some people ride motorcycles.

Some people find that to be a risk that they are willing to take. Hey, some people ride motorcycles.

to blatantly assume that just riding motorcycles makes you any dumber than flying single engine XC at night is RIDICULOUS.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-michigan-plane-crash,0,1519367.story

So...you think these guys could have put it down in the lake gently enough for -any- survivors at night? And what about the fishing boats finding them...at night?

If you fly single engine at night with no plan B, expect to die. It's awfully dark down there and that's a bitch when it comes to choosing a good soft place to put down and judging your flare. Try flying at night to any unlit runway with your landing light off, see how that works out for you, I recommend practicing that long before you go cross country at night in a single.

BTW, I don't trust singles in the day time either, but at lesat I can see what's below me.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/family-florida-survives-plane-crash-sea/story?id=8804690

Are you suggesting practicing approaches to dark runways?

I've often wondered about the best technique to desend over unknown terrain in the event of a lost engine. If I'm in a plane like a cherokee with hershey bar wings, or a DA40 that have docile stall characteristics without violent secondary stalls, I've wondered if it's better to descend in a falling-leaf stall than it is to fly to the ground.

Yeah, and some people smoke cigarettes. BTW, I used to ride a motorcycle, a BMW R100S, until a drunk in a Cadilac T-boned me with my (2mo. pregnant) wife on the back. Now I only ride dirtbikes.

After much reflection, I realized no matter how safe a bike rider you are, it only takes one drunken idiot in a Caddy to take you out. And no matter how good a pilot you are, it only takes one little mechanical thing to break, to stop that single engine. I just hope it's not at night, because finding a safe place to put down in the dark is no fun.

Yeah, and some people smoke cigarettes. BTW, I used to ride a motorcycle, a BMW R100S, until a drunk in a Cadilac T-boned me with my (2mo. pregnant) wife on the back. Now I only ride dirtbikes.

After much reflection, I realized no matter how safe a bike rider you are, it only takes one drunken idiot in a Caddy to take you out. And no matter how good a pilot you are, it only takes one little mechanical thing to break, to stop that single engine. I just hope it's not at night, because finding a safe place to put down in the dark is no fun.

100% correct!

That's why single engine at night is kinda dangerous. while you can't control an engine outtage or a drunk caddy driver, you can control the time of day you fly so you can make the best of the situation when the engine does go out.

Just had Spacial D today. Thought I was straight and level, but felt like I was in a 20 degree left bank.

Checked the ADI, and was straight and level. Stared at it, and could keep it level no problem (autopilot off). After a while, though, it was annoying to be in this perpetual 20 degree bank.

Got out of some clouds and looked outside. That fixed it!

Glad to hear you didn't end up like Jon Jon Kenedy! If he had just spent an extra 20 hours to get some IFR instruction, he might be in the Senate today...

"The Leans" happens to everyone in the clouds, at one time or another, the ones who get the training are the ones who survive it.

to blatantly assume that just riding motorcycles makes you any dumber than flying single engine XC at night is RIDICULOUS.

I believe he was saying what one person considers dangerous might not be to another person. I by no means took it that he was implying anything towards someone who chooses to ride a motorcycle. None the less, it seems this thread has found numerous rabbit trails for people to wonder down and argue.

Back