Southwest

If you didn't get a phone interview after the test then you didn't pass..they're 2 steps ahead now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Really? What about those of us who have heard nothing? It's been three weeks. I know they said 30 days but what takes so long? That test is not hard to grade, it is elementary. If someone didn't made the cut, let them know instead of stringing them along. I have another opportunity but really want WN. Sorry for ranting.
Unfortunately this is standard in the industry... The phrase "no news is good news" is completely opposite in the airlines...

But still even if its bad news I would still like to know. Who knows maybe some candidates hold out on other offers to wait on that one offer they really want.

Really? What about those of us who have heard nothing? It's been three weeks. I know they said 30 days but what takes so long? That test is not hard to grade, it is elementary. If someone didn't made the cut, let them know instead of stringing them along. I have another opportunity but really want WN. Sorry for ranting.

You are not the only work group that HR is dealing with. There are 57,000 of us here, and tens of thousands of applications run through that office every year. Each potential new hire has to be screened, background checked, interviewed, processed, and badged. On behalf of the HR department, we're sorry you're feeling neglected, but we're kinda busy here.

You are not the only work group that HR is dealing with. There are 57,000 of us here, and tens of thousands of applications run through that office every year. Each potential new hire has to be screened, background checked, interviewed, processed, and badged. On behalf of the HR department, we're sorry you're feeling neglected, but we're kinda busy here.

Just playing devils advocate here...it's 2018 and sending a TBNT is as simple as a button click, in some cases it's a check box and then a button click to send it to to every single applicant. I know they can do this sort of thing because they're using iCIMS, and there is video demonstration of this capability on youtube.

Just playing devils advocate here...it's 2018 and sending a TBNT is as simple as a button click, in some cases it's a check box and then a button click to send it to to every single applicant. I know they can do this sort of thing because they're using iCIMS, and there is video demonstration of this capability on youtube.

Perhaps, but that would mean that they are simply dismissing applications without giving them a proper assessment. There are applications that are very easy to eliminate, and those generally get kicked rather quickly. The pool of applicants that meet the criteria are given consideration before being dismissed. Also consider that WN's culture of internal hiring complicates this as their mode of application is not the same as externals.

My suggestion is as it always has been when it comes to airline hiring: Pass up no opportunity afforded to you. If you get a gig while waiting for WN, take it. If you get the start date at your career job, accept it and give the gig you previously just accepted your condolences.

It's nothing personal, only business. And besides, if you're going to retire from WN, burning a bridge at airline X isn't going to much matter.

Perhaps, but that would mean that they are simply dismissing applications without giving them a proper assessment. There are applications that are very easy to eliminate, and those generally get kicked rather quickly. The pool of applicants that meet the criteria are given consideration before being dismissed. Also consider that WN's culture of internal hiring complicates this as their mode of application is not the same as externals.

My suggestion is as it always has been when it comes to airline hiring: Pass up no opportunity afforded to you. If you get a gig while waiting for WN, take it. If you get the start date at your career job, accept it and give the gig you previously just accepted your condolences.

It's nothing personal, only business. And besides, if you're going to retire from WN, burning a bridge at airline X isn't going to much matter.

I imagine the number of internals and applicants will
continue to rise and make things even more difficult for HR to sort out.

Dispatch is a relatively small group but has some of the best compensation and benefits in the company. Plus many want to be a part of the Southwest culture.

Right now a few thousand apply for a major dispatch opening. A single hiring class is usually 10-2 new hires.

I wouldnt be surprised to see applications go up to 5,000-10,000 for every dispatch posting.

With Southwest giving a test, I bet if they wanted to they could give one that can be graded electronically which would then auto generate a TBNT for those that failed. Then again that comes at a cost and would not allow for fill in the blank and short written answers.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of multiple guess tests if you truly want to know how a person arrived at the answer.

Believe it or not, those numbers you cited for applicants is pretty off-scale high. We received far fewer applications than that. Certainly plenty to make it competitive, but this isn't like trying to win American Idol here... And with the Great Hiring Blitz of 2016-2017 we really depleted the qualified internal ranks. There will always be internals, but current management feels that there is a lot of value in bringing in people with outside experience as well as internals with little to no dispatch experience, especially as we dive further into international and blue water operations.

In terms of compensation; have you seen what they're paying the Widget guys lately? Don't get me wrong, we are very well compensated for our troubles here at the LUV shack, but that rising tide has certainly lifted other boats out there. I mean, if I had a choice, I certainly would be more inclined to go with the company that has never furloughed anyone in their entire existence as a company, but if Southwest didn't and Delta did, I would beep Delta!

Have all offers gone out? Or has anyone received a TBNT who interviewed. Asking for a friend...

Tell your friend, Good news - Bad news... if your friend didn’t get an offer by now he/she will not be a part of this class... good news ( or “somewhat” good news ) if no TBNT, he/she might be a part of a hiring pool for the next class if they have another class soon.

Look on the Southwest Airlines HR website in your profile under applications. If yours says “Closed Complete” for this position then you’re more than likely out of luck.

Back