Southwest tries to redecorate LGA tower

Makes me wonder if they were getting FD bias because of the winds and didn't realize they were off the LOC...
Although if my understanding of FD bias is correct that would really only come into play if you are uncoordinated, so probably not related here

I don't speak Boeing, what's that?
The FD on the guppy is limited to, I think, 8° bank in APP mode. If you are uncoordinated enough, you can hit that bank limit and still be turning away from the course centerline. So you’ll be centered up on the FD roll bar but getting further off course.

Last edited:
It's officially a maneuver, in our Maneuvers Validation every year. You have to show a takeoff to a RNAV SID. Easy and boring, but has to be demonstrated.

(At least at our shop)

Didn't realize this was an actual requirement, but that is an impressively boring one. Maybe like a radar vector, step climb departure from somewhere in the NE would be more appropriate.....with multiple TCAS alerts or something like that

I can’t believe people keep screwing up JOHKR out of LAS.

joker-no-no-no.gif

I can’t believe people keep screwing up JOHKR out of LAS.

joker-no-no-no.gif

Yeah, it is kinda weird. Kinda like when a navy friend of mine got violated leaving KCOS. Just like adhere to the clearance, man. No real excuse with LNAV/VNAV available (she didn't have those things, but it was vectors and altitudes, so I'm not sure what was going on).

Yeah, it is kinda weird. Kinda like when a navy friend of mine got violated leaving KCOS. Just like adhere to the clearance, man. No real excuse with LNAV/VNAV available (she didn't have those things, but it was vectors and altitudes, so I'm not sure what was going on).

The problem is handflying of the magenta crowd, VNAV above 10k when the speed goes from 250 to ~280-290, and the level off at or below 11,000 ft.

Initially out of 10k and approaching 11k, the FD only shows a slight pitch down, which makes the pilot think they’re doing okay. You have to pitch down into the FD and then it continues towards commanding a level off.

It’s a funky behavior that involves accelerating from 250 to 290kts, while also going through 10k but leveling 11k.

Not a big deal. Just pitch down to hold 11k and the plane will do just that. But again, you have magenta line pilots and they bust right through.

Back