Southwest Pilots have a TA

Carlton-Banks.jpg

"How @Derg dressed to go to his young Republicans meetings in high school" :)

Not very many people think like that if the upgrade on the 190 at US Airways is any indication. Every bid there goes unfilled CA slots on it, IIRC one bid had 12 or so. They won't let anyone under a year bid into it and that's typically the guys that get the newly awarded slots, but there aren't very many of them.

From what I have seen the work relationship between CA/FO at a legacy is vastly different than one at the regionals, where FOs are treated more as hired help by the CAs.

Agreed. At my shop many instructors are first officers and sim check airmen. Captain goes relatively junior because the reserve rules aren't great, so many people wait until they can hold a line to upgrade, and also the QOL is pretty good for senior first officers.

People outside of aviation don't fly $100,000,000 jets, have age 65 retirement, take a potentially career-ending medical twice per year and make decisions multiple times per day that can bring a multi-billion dollar company to extinction.

Never feel bad about the money you worked your ass of for.

Thank the great maker. This, this, a million times this.

And for the record, the 717 rocks. Any design which has made speedbrakes obsolete rules in my book.

Richman

Last edited:
On a side note, I was sort of wondering how many folks would notice the slight modification. :D

I got a big surprise when I was told that your avatar checked in yesterday morning at JFK ! At first they weren't sure who 'ASA' was and had to turn around and ask.(With 2 medical emergencies on board...not serious though...and no they weren't a diversion). I had to Google it to confirm. I was always wondering if Alaska would ever fly to Jfk but figured...they already fly to Newark. So...you gonna be bidding Jfk overnights? Although I think coming here is a red eye.

"How @Derg dressed to go to his young Republicans meetings in high school" :)

Actually, I was a member of the "Young Republicans", for a hot minute, in high school. But I was a "Bob Dole republican" than the idiotic claptrap that the party became.

Hot damn, you made me talk politics on the internet. You got me. YOOOOOOOU got me.

I got a big surprise when I was told that your avatar checked in yesterday morning at JFK ! At first they weren't sure who 'ASA' was and had to turn around and ask.(With 2 medical emergencies on board...not serious though...and no they weren't a diversion). I had to Google it to confirm. I was always wondering if Alaska would ever fly to Jfk but figured...they already fly to Newark. So...you gonna be bidding Jfk overnights? Although I think coming here is a red eye.

AS just started service to JFK this week; Wednesday was the first flight! I don't think I'd bid JFK overnights, though it would entirely depend on where the hotel is. Actually, none of that matters cause I'll likely be an ANC stuck reserve beatch for quite some time.

Thank the great maker. This, this, a million times this.

And for the record, the 717 rocks. Any design which has made speedbrakes obsolete rules in my book.

Richman

It's always something I've got to consider... Boards or Slats. Damn plane gives you too many options.

Seems like in the '9 we used slats and 5 when you needed to come down in a hurry. But that was a lifetime ago.

ZapBrannigan said:
Seems like in the '9 we used slats and 5 when you needed to come down in a hurry. But that was a lifetime ago.

Which variant? I always found that slats alone are enough to come out of the sky like a brick in the 717 (which is really a -30). Flaps were overkill.

Which variant? I always found that slats alone are enough to come out of the sky like a brick in the 717 (which is really a -30). Flaps were overkill.

It was the 30. Can't remember what the circumstances we used were, but I remember hearing the call "slats and 5" with some frequency.

It was the 30. Can't remember what the circumstances we used were, but I remember hearing the call "slats and 5" with some frequency.

The nice thing about Flaps 5 is it drops the nose a whole lot so if you are slow but (but well above Vs0) you can go flaps 5 for a more comfortable ride. They don't really add much drag. Regrettably, with the dial a flap deal, we (in the purple and orange planes anyway) are prohibited from using any flap setting that isn't permanently detented (other than for takeoff of course). A lot of the Olde Timers still call for it though.

If you go 18 and the gear you can manage about a 1:1 descent rate at 180 knots.

I miss the 9. Maybe it was just because it was my first jet, but I sure loved that machine. Coolest part was that when I was in middle school I would cut class and ride my bike to the airport. Sit at the end of 28R in PIT and watch the Allegheny / USAir DC9s landing. Then, years later, I was flying those very same airplanes.

That was in the era before the RJ scourge... when an armada of those little locusts darkened the skies stealing mainline jobs.

I miss the 9. Maybe it was just because it was my first jet, but I sure loved that machine. Coolest part was that when I was in middle school I would cut class and ride my bike to the airport. Sit at the end of 28R in PIT and watch the Allegheny / USAir DC9s landing. Then, years later, I was flying those very same airplanes.

That was in the era before the RJ scourge... when an armada of those little locusts darkened the skies stealing mainline jobs.

Or scenes like this:

0794705.jpg

Back