Some Delta Application Pointers

That kind of thing is a major life decision involving lots of personal factors and we couldn’t pretend to know what’s best for you. Either of those options will give you the opportunity to learn new things and grow as an aviator, so we would encourage you to go with whichever option works best for you and your life, and that you are most passionate about.
Jesus Christ, just answer the question.

Jesus Christ, just answer the question.

Bro, why're you so salty all the time?

If that's their answer, it's their answer. How do you expect them to answer such a general question for such a broad spectrum of individuals? Everyone SHOULD be a regional captain or SHOULD be a widebody/narrowbody FO?? It doesn't work that way and your odds are neither increased or decreased by choosing either route. Pick which one fits you best and if they want you, they'll call you. Just because you didn't pass the interview doesn't mean the selection process is broken. I have friends eager for a call from Magic School Bus Airlines with silent phones. Would you throw the same stones at your own house?

SJI isn't calling me anytime soon because of events in my background so even though I have an app in, I have no realistic expectation of getting called for said interview but this was helpful information to us prospective applicants.

Please don't show me on the doll wear SJI touched you, whooosaaaaa.

giphy.gif

1) What can I do to increase my chances of getting an interview?

If being a Captain for Delta is your ultimate goal, keep working toward that, and take advantage of opportunities that might give you experience that would help you be the best Delta Captain you can. We want to hire pilots who are safe, are good leaders, will take good care of their coworkers and passengers, and who love their jobs. Any opportunity you find, either at work or in your personal life, that works for you and that you are passionate about would be something we’d encourage you to do.

Come on that's the biggest non-answer I've seen.
No way, I thought you wanted unsafe, bad leaders, who'll neglect their coworkers and passengers, and hate their jobs? ;)

Last edited:
Even on JC, I get LOOOOOOOOOOADS of email from people at a regional, recently upgraded, living in base that ask if they should take a job at a ULCC when it isn't their ultimate career goal.

I don't know, if you want to, go ahead, but there isn't a magic alert that goes *BING!!* "Applicant has a new type rating, no time in type, CALL HIM NAO!"

Speaking as JC webmaster here: Yes go. Or don't. Depending on the totality of the application it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the short to medium term. Maybe chilling and getting more PIC at your regional when you've freshly upgraded (again, depending on the totality of your application) might be better than being a ULCC new hire and flying reserve.

Asking an airline to make a personal decision like that is foolhardy as your employer is not your high school guidance counselor. There'is no universal answer, especially if you do what a recruitment team says to do and then magic still doesn't happen because it'd probably be like this:

"YAAAARGH! I DID WHAT YOU SAID TO DO AND YOU WONT CALL ME!" Cue up the animated GIFS (JIFFS) of Glenn Close on "Fatal Attraction"

There, @Cherokee_Cruiser, you have some red meat to get all flustered with and launch into a tirade about.

Oh, don't get me started on you either. Dude, you should learn to STFU too. Few years ago it was Colgan pilots this and Colgan pilots that. Now you're a major airline captain with nothing more than the same juvenile grievances as before (this time even more unwarranted). Woe is me booooo

Gentleman's bet that every airline he complains about he probably has an application in to? :)

Gentleman's bet that every airline he complains about he probably has an application in to? :)

Gentleman's bet?? I'm spending a bit of time in HKG and DPS next month so I was ready to buy a round of Bintangs for each page of his application if you catch me there...

Btw, i heard the application has to be 47 pages long or something

Oh, don't get me started on you either. Dude, you should learn to STFU too. Few years ago it was Colgan pilots this and Colgan pilots that. Now you're a major airline captain with nothing more than the same juvenile grievances as before (this time even more unwarranted). Woe is me booooo

That was almost a decade ago. But I'll give you that. Today, I don't have any grievances. What, making fun of hiring processes at airlines is a grievance? It's poking good fun at something that most people take so seriously (although to be fair, I'm not gunning in their shoes of hopes to be hired). I think the same with Autothrust Blue. If you can't make some fun of the process that no one can figure out and stress out so much on, then you're probably taking life too seriously (at least on the forums).

I'm a happy clam, there is no woe is me.

No. I haven't updated since the beginning of the year and have since moved princip. residence so I have no plans of pursuing AA/DL/UA anymore. I won't be renewing my $59.99 to Airlineapps. :)

Even on JC, I get LOOOOOOOOOOADS of email from people at a regional, recently upgraded, living in base that ask if they should take a job at a ULCC when it isn't their ultimate career goal.

I don't know, if you want to, go ahead, but there isn't a magic alert that goes *BING!!* "Applicant has a new type rating, no time in type, CALL HIM NAO!"

Speaking as JC webmaster here: Yes go. Or don't. Depending on the totality of the application it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the short to medium term. Maybe chilling and getting more PIC at your regional when you've freshly upgraded (again, depending on the totality of your application) might be better than being a ULCC new hire and flying reserve.

Asking an airline to make a personal decision like that is foolhardy as your employer is not your high school guidance counselor. There'is no universal answer, especially if you do what a recruitment team says to do and then magic still doesn't happen because it'd probably be like this:

"YAAAARGH! I DID WHAT YOU SAID TO DO AND YOU WONT CALL ME!" Cue up the animated GIFS (JIFFS) of Glenn Close on "Fatal Attraction"

There, @Cherokee_Cruiser, you have some red meat to get all flustered with and launch into a tirade about.

No, no tirade here. What you just wrote is a real answer to that question.

That's my personal answer. Shoot, man, I don't know!

So you haven't updated for the last four months. I wouldn't exactly say you've stopped looking, ha! :) You do realize it's late April so you're barely outside the 60 day "suggested" update cycle.

It's ok. It's common to begrudge airlines on the internet and have applications in at the same time. It's not exactly a career-enhacing strategy, but it's common.

It's a good answer because it was honest and actually answered it. And to be fair like you said, it isn't really a question for a hiring team. The individual needs to do what they think is best. Who knows, the individual could go to jetBlue and next you know United buys them (or whatever the latest rumor is).

For me, I'm done. The realistic goal was to get out before to stay in the NYC base area, but now that it's over and I've already moved I think it defeats the point. Plus I did really well (*like really well*) on the SLI and I think it would be silly to give that up at my age and longevity here. Besides, I still don't think merger mania is done yet.

Last edited:
That's my personal answer. Shoot, man, I don't know!

So you haven't updated for the last four months. I wouldn't exactly say you've stopped looking, ha! :) You do realize it's late April so you're barely outside the 60 day "suggested" update cycle.

It's ok. It's common to begrudge airlines on the internet and have applications in at the same time. It's not exactly a career-enhacing strategy, but it's common.
You would know better than I, but a buddy of mine recently got an email from DPR reminding him to update his app. According to the email, after 60 days without an update the app goes into "inactive" status. After I read the email I put a reminder in my calendar to update every 45 days.:cool:

Back