Some Advice Needed!

r311music

Well long story short, I have been working the ramp for Southwest for about 8 years. It was my first "real" job after high school. I didn't plan on doing ramp for this long, but like many things in life, it just happened. However within the past year I have done some job shadows in both the Air Tran OCC and Southwest OCC and found that Dispatch is where I want to end up career wise.

In the past year I have applied and interviewed for a few positions within the OCC here at Southwest. Twice for crew scheduling, which I was turned down due to my lack of "customer service" experience. The other one was a flight following job but I was turned down as they didn't think I would have the computer skills necessary for the job. I grew up in the computer age, I'm 26, so I really think they just saw I was a ramp agent for seven years and I don't know how to do anything but load bags. I should also mention I can easily get into the Operation department here in MCO, but I enjoy my schedule on the ramp too much to jump on it.

Now here comes the part I would like some advice for. I have saved up enough to do the Sheffield distance course and I probably will start it in the next month or so. However, once I finish, I'm worried that being on the ramp will hinder my chances of getting an Assistant Dispatch opening here. From what I have heard, most Assistant Dispatchers come from other jobs within the OCC such as flight followers, schedulers, ect. Would it be worth my time to wait and try to get on a dispatcher here from the ramp? Or should I go the regional route? I think it's crazy I'll take a pay cut to handle more responsibility as right now I make 18.50/hr, but I'm so bored with my current job that it doesn't bother me too much. How easy is it to move from a regional to a major? Do any regionals actually pay their dispatchers well if they stick around?

Feel free to put your 0.02 in!

I was working as Line Service Tech at an FBO when I got my license. I applied to anything and everything (after doing my research of course). I even applied for a job at FedEx even though I knew that getting it would be a shot in the dark. I think you have 2 options ahead of you. 1) Keep your ramp job and spend every extra moment in the OCC learning as much as you can. People will notice and take that into consideration when you apply for a job there. 2) Leave the ramp to get experience elsewhere but also keep in contact with a few people in the OCC.

I really don't see any ease moving from one to the other. It's really up to the hiring manager to make the decision on the candidates that applied. If you want an honest answer on that, go ask people in the OCC their thoughts and even a few managers. Never hurts to ask...

Best of Luck

You have 8 years with WN, correct? If you are at $18.50 hr and I am assuming you are close to being maxed out or at the max out rate.

I would get your ticket, it will give you an advantage over the other guys in OCC when the time comes. Think about it, you have 8 years with WN, so I am assuming you have decent seniority when it comes to non-reving, correct? Assuming you go the regional route, you would take a big pay cut and would assuming that working as an assistant dispatcher will pay a few more dollars an hour than the ramp, correct? It's a pretty big gamble to leave WN for a regional.

I guess ask yourself this: How often does the assistant dispatcher program open up? I would also suggest moving to Operations since you would gain both the customer service experience and the computer skills necessary and not only that, you'd be in contact with OCC getting to know others within that department.

Get outta there now! You seem to be suffering from SouthWorst blindness. They've passed you over twice. I think the writing is on the wall. It's a big world lad. Go see it. Sorry to be so blunt, but I think your chances are better elsewhere. Too much stigma at SWA.

You have 8 years with WN, correct? If you are at $18.50 hr and I am assuming you are close to being maxed out or at the max out rate.

I would get your ticket, it will give you an advantage over the other guys in OCC when the time comes. Think about it, you have 8 years with WN, so I am assuming you have decent seniority when it comes to non-reving, correct? Assuming you go the regional route, you would take a big pay cut and would assuming that working as an assistant dispatcher will pay a few more dollars an hour than the ramp, correct? It's a pretty big gamble to leave WN for a regional.

I guess ask yourself this: How often does the assistant dispatcher program open up? I would also suggest moving to Operations since you would gain both the customer service experience and the computer skills necessary and not only that, you'd be in contact with OCC getting to know others within that department.

Valid points. Yea I'm three years from topping out at 26/hr. Assistant Dispatch seems to come around once a year, and is very competitive for obvious reasons ha. And yes I'm considering the move to operations, but if I do transfer departments, I'm locked in for at least a year.

Get outta there now! You seem to be suffering from SouthWorst blindness. They've passed you over twice. I think the writing is on the wall. It's a big world lad. Go see it. Sorry to be so blunt, but I think your chances are better elsewhere. Too much stigma at SWA.
Yea I'm really leaning this way. It seems most hiring managers see the ramp as a starting point to get on with Southwest, but nothing more. One question that keeps on popping up in my interviews is, "why have you not tried to move up yet?"

I think that if you plan on staying in aviation in some capacity in the long run, that a dispatch certificate is a great thing to have under your belt for many different operations positions...not just dispatch.

I know little about the hiring standards or competition level at WN, but part of ke really needs to agree with the above reply about the writing being on the wall. If you only want to gt your certificate for a WN job, I would set up an informational meeting with a hiring manager to learn more about what it would take to qualify and move up, and to ask how much of an advantage getting your dispatch certificate would be, since you plan on doing that.

If the results of that do not sound promosing, I would look to leave the company altogether.

One question that keeps on popping up in my interviews is, "why have you not tried to move up yet?"

I think there is the answer to your question as to why you have been passed over.

Do you enjoy working at WN, not just in your current position but working for WN? Could you be happy knowing once you quit you may never work for WN again and thus lost all that you have earned?

If you want to stay at WN, then get your DX license, and start playing by the company rules, as in what does the company want to see from there employees. If that involves working on the customer service side or in station operations than so be it.

When I was hired by my current company, the folks in dispatch had paid their dues within the company, ie being a ramper/CSA/Load Planner/Crew Scheduler/etc etc. They may have 25 years with the company but only half of that in dispatch.

Something else to consider, if you opt to change companies and go straight into dispatch, you are looking at a minimum of 2 moves and about 2 years before getting on with a major. Can you afford to move to work at a regional and then move again?

Again alot to be considered and there never is an easy answer.

Only you can decide what is right for you but remember to look at all the pros/cons involved.

Well, couple of things I see offhand...

The youngest line dispatcher is 23 years old. You are 26. This isn't meant as a slight, just something that is considered when you're looked at for "command and control" positions. THAT BEING SAID, you've dedicated 8 years to WN. In this day and age, that stands for a lot. From what I understand of how WN does business, that's especially huge. Southwest is all about hiring internally, and from all I've seen they really do.

Have you taken the time to talk to the people in the OCC about your ambitions? As an employee of WN, you have access others don't. Take advantage of that and get some face time with the people who will make the decisions when it comes time for you to make your move. Call the dispatch manager and see about visiting and having a conversation with him about what you want to do and that you want to do it here. It may also be a good idea to head over to the People Department and talk with them. They might have strategies or options you otherwise might not have considered, and they are your first step to the OCC.

Don't underestimate the position you're in. I personally think it ill advised to leave at this point. Even if staying means your chance to man a desk is delayed by a few years, the long view suggests that this is the better strategy, especially considering that a dispatch position at WN is a career move. Once you're in, there's no reason to leave... You're already in the big leagues.

Good luck, and pick up that phone! Do it. Now. Stop reading.

Turns out, I didn't really address your specific questions.

Regional pay is not steller, but considering where you're living while working for most regionals, your dollar will go much farther.

I don't have an opinion on whether the distance learning course would be appropriate or not. All I can say is be honest with yourself about how much you already know and how you learn. Find a program that fits you. Consider you're already in a good place, so there's no real urgency to get it done in 5 weeks.

My personal suggestion is don't change jobs just to get closer to the dispatch desk, unless that position is actually a step towards that desk. Crew scheduling, though a part of the OCC, isn't terribly relevant to the role of dispatch. Besides that, it's a tough, thankless job that will wear you down unless you're a masochist. I have the utmost respect for good schedulers as they take an unfair amount of abuse and keep on smiling. Remember what these people have to do when you're on the dispatch desk. They can make or break you! :) Anyway, point is, I don't think taking a scheduler job will ultimately give you an advantage, but again, talking with ops and HR will give you much more specific information relevant to how WN operates.

I do not work as a dispatcher although I do have a dispatch ticket and I do work in operations control. I would echo pljenkins advice. In the passenger world SWA is the top paying bar none and not just in dispatch either. Add to that SWA just matched UPS dispatcher pay as well. I am pretty sure SW and I know DL does actually prefer to look to internals first before going outside. You already work for the top dog I would seek advice from people in OCC as mentioned and network network network. True you have no operational experience and leaving SWA you will be at a regional for a while to get that experience but I know at my company they have accepted dispatchers internally without experience. I would also see if SW would look at it in a negative way if you left for experience and tried to re apply in the future as well. And I am sure you know by now as a dispatcher you are limited to an airlines SOC location like DAL for SWA as an example. So hopefully you are not too choosy in where you want to live. Think it through very carefully before you give up your 8 years at SW. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I guess my main fear is being stuck on the ramp. It was fun while it lasted, but now that I have a career goal in mind, I'm ready to start moving on.

r311music said:
Thanks for all the replies so far. I guess my main fear is being stuck on the ramp. It was fun while it lasted, but now that I have a career goal in mind, I'm ready to start moving on.

Personally, I think you are crazy to leave. I would suck it up for a few years if that's what it took. From what I understand, that's a dream for many and you are already there. Just my .02

If I were you, I would get my dx license, and put in for a transfer to operations - then keep applying for all openings in dispatch...assuming you don't mind moving to DAL, which I presume you don't since you've already interviewed for the scheduling positions. Remember, Southwest likes pro-active, take charge kind of people when they are deciding who to promote! Your schedule might be worse temporarily when you change jobs but it would be worth it in the long run to get some experience that is looked upon favorably by the SOC when they are deciding who to promote from within...

Personally, I think you are crazy to leave. I would suck it up for a few years if that's what it took. From what I understand, that's a dream for many and you are already there. Just my .02
Yea don't get me wrong, I do enjoy working here and the goal is stay put. I'm just getting fed up with how things are going on the ground ops side and I need a change. I can hold out for a bit, but at some point I really would like a new challenge.

If I were you, I would get my dx license, and put in for a transfer to operations - then keep applying for all openings in dispatch...assuming you don't mind moving to DAL, which I presume you don't since you've already interviewed for the scheduling positions. Remember, Southwest likes pro-active, take charge kind of people when they are deciding who to promote! Your schedule might be worse temporarily when you change jobs but it would be worth it in the long run to get some experience that is looked upon favorably by the SOC when they are deciding who to promote from within...

Yea I'm actually more interested in living in DAL than here in MCO. The only other city I'd rather be in is ATL. As for internal hiring, I just wonder if they look at my eight years on the ramp as being lazy and not wanting to do much more? When in reality, I started when I was 18, to help fund flight school. Like many potential flight students, I eventually ran out of funds, so I gave up the pilot dream. Then I spent a few years just trying to figure out what else I would want to do with my life. Luckily I met someone in the FLIFO department nonreving one day and decided to tour the OCC. I ended up taking a tour of the Air Tran side too and got to spend time with schedulers, flight followers, and of course Dispatchers. That's when I started focusing on a new career path to get into the operational side of an airline, especially Dispatch.

r311music said:
Yea don't get me wrong, I do enjoy working here and the goal is stay put. I'm just getting fed up with how things are going on the ground ops side and I need a change. I can hold out for a bit, but at some point I really would like a new challenge.

Sometimes in life we have to go through a little pain and frustration to achieve our goals. You are in the "painful" phase it seems but hang in there, get your license, network and spend as much time with people in SOC as you can. Apply yourself, take initiative and do things that will get you noticed. Apply at every opportunity. You could get passed over and more than once, but persistence and a great attitude can pay off in the long run. Your time at the airline can only be seen as a positive!

I can understand not wanting to stay when being unable to dispatch, but honestly, my ultimate goal is to get on with an airline yours and you are already there! If you leave and try to come back after being at a regional for a while, you are then competing with all of us trying to get the same job you are. If you stay, your chances are so much higher than mine. At least that is my opinion. I would stay... For a job like that I personally would do what my former drill sergeant always said... "Suck it up and drive on!"

But if you really want to leave, I'll thank you in advance for making my chances that much better! Lol... J/K. ;-)

Call the a dispatch manager and bluntly ask if dx school will be worth your time/money as far as moving into that department without experience. If he says yes, then go to Sheffield. If he says no, then quit and go to Sheffield so you can move ahead with your career, if that's what you want to be when you grow up. SWA has the leading pay scale right now....at least until I hit the negotiating table.

Well an update to this thread...I have secured another interview for flight ops (s)Crew Scheduling here at WN. I know most people here would hate to have to do that job, but after talking to a few guys in DX, they pretty much said it's pretty rare to go from ramp to DX, even with your license. So hopefully this time it works out for me. The third time is a charm, right?

I know one of the dispatchers at WN that initially got hired as a WN crew scheduler and then just kept applying for a dispatch position and eventually got in. I believe it took him 2 times. So yes it can be done.

Hey man, I was in the same boat as you. At the time, I had four years on the ramp with my current airline and wanted to move up because I didn't want to be a career ramper. I found an entry-level position in the SOC and was fortunate enough to get the job. Did that for a year and a half, during which I completed my certificate and had the opportunity to shadow dispatchers a few hours a week while doing it. After that, a position opened up in Dispatch and I was offered it.

Don't give up, keep looking for a job in your companies OCC, network with the managers and show them you're interested. During that time, work on your certificate and you'll get there.

Back