SoCal Collision 1/9/2022

Well, the NTSB should have fun with this one. Next up, a ditched airplane gets hit by a tug/barge.

MyCousinWhoLivesInDC said:
That’s incredible. Had that been DC, the police would have responded a week after his death and towed the parts of the plane to different wards and issued separate parking tickets for each piece against his estate.

And when the plane was towed to the scrap yard, if the tow truck was speeding, the speed camera would have picked up the plane's registration number, and his estate would have been sent another bill for a speeding plane.

Well, the NTSB should have fun with this one. Next up, a ditched airplane gets hit by a tug/barge.

The following was from the comment section on r/flying and I laughed way longer than I should have as a grown adult.

NTSB like: "WHO THE HELL TAMPERED WITH THE CRASH SITE"

“Since it was a train is that 2 NTSB investigations? An investigation of an investigation.”

“it's going to be run by Xzibit”

“Yo dawg, we heard you like crash investigations, so we put a crash investigation inside your crash investigation"

Local news said the cops could hear the trains horn when they arrived on scene.
Weird, seeing that "crime scene" tape, I was wondering how long they had been on scene.

One thing for sure, whoever filmed that downstream shot, has never played pool before.

Sometimes you just have to accept it.

Like Training Day. "Mark, Paul, you kicked down the door. Jeff's the first one through, Roger opens fire twice. Bang bang. Our new guy, Hoyt, he's in second, drops Roger with some fine shotgun work. Who shot Roger?"

"New Guy, came in spraying"

"Hoyt blasted him."

Me, if I was the Internal Affairs cop: "Wow, sounds like you boys had a tough situation. So at what point during this shooting from the get go did you get the time to use electric chainsaws to cut a hole in the kitchen floor, a good 2 ft x 4 ft, and at least 4 feet deep? You called in officer down when Jeff was hit and our first unit arrived in (checks log) about 90 seconds..."

The following was from the comment section on r/flying and I laughed way longer than I should have as a grown adult.

NTSB like: "WHO THE HELL TAMPERED WITH THE CRASH SITE"

“Since it was a train is that 2 NTSB investigations? An investigation of an investigation.”

“it's going to be run by Xzibit”

“Yo dawg, we heard you like crash investigations, so we put a crash investigation inside your crash investigation"

Actual footage of NTSB Rail and NTSB Aviation meeting on the same accident site ...

Fight.gif

Jumper cables? I know “someone” that tried that one time, and saw the crossing signal, arms, and bell turn on.

Yep,

One rail carries low voltage. Ground one rail to the other rail, all kinds of things happen.

Isn’t that the airport where Aunt Bea learned to fly?

View attachment 62806
Not sure what your point is. I soloed there in 1992 in an airplane I rented from a flight school from Burbank. Whiteman kind of sits between Burbank and Van Nuys. Burbank still had a strong GA presence there along with corporate/charter and airline ops. Van Nuys was very busy with corporate/charter jets and its own strong GA population and no airlines. My instructor on that day decided to cut me loose, he could've done it at Burbank or Van Nuys (we frequented both) but he chose Whiteman. Maybe they had the most comfortable bench under a tree with a view of the runway and pattern. It was his choice, I still remember looking in that dumb rear view mirror in the top of the panel at a grinning idiot. One of the best days of my life. As an aside, I'd suggest flight training at a busy towered airport, you learn how to use the radio very quickly and it isn't scary to call anyone. YMMV.

Dude just about got a big piece of aluminum to the noggin. Wonder why the people up by the track were so slow to clear off, maybe they'd just gotten the pilot out?

PS. Yes, upon review it certainly looks like they were dragging him away. If I'd watched this ten years from now I'd have said it was too perfect, must be CGI.
There was a different video on channel 5 here, and they literally pulled the pilot out seconds before the train came barreling down on them.

Not sure what your point is. I soloed there in 1992 in an airplane I rented from a flight school from Burbank. Whiteman kind of sits between Burbank and Van Nuys. Burbank still had a strong GA presence there along with corporate/charter and airline ops. Van Nuys was very busy with corporate/charter jets and its own strong GA population and no airlines. My instructor on that day decided to cut me loose, he could've done it at Burbank or Van Nuys (we frequented both) but he chose Whiteman. Maybe they had the most comfortable bench under a tree with a view of the runway and pattern. It was his choice, I still remember looking in that dumb rear view mirror in the top of the panel at a grinning idiot. One of the best days of my life. As an aside, I'd suggest flight training at a busy towered airport, you learn how to use the radio very quickly and it isn't scary to call anyone. YMMV.

In the old Andy Griffith show Aunt Bea learned to fly at Whitman. It was supposed to be Mayberry of course. You can see the three red and white stacks in the background.
Aunt Bee's Big Moment
The Andy Griffith Show: Season 8: Episode 23

Southwest of there, in the Hollywood Hills, is the lake they used in the Andy Griffith show opening. Depending on the day The Andy Griffith Show or Combat was being filmed in the woods.

Combat starred Vic Morrow who was killed northwest of there, behind Magic Mountain, filming Twilight Zone The Movie when he was cut in two by a Huey.

It just gets better! At Fullerton Airport you can rent...

1641954090790.png

Interesting fact: This very airplane was featured on an episode of The Andy Griffith Show Season 8, Episode 23. “Aunt Bee’s Big Moment
The Cessna 182 builds on the popularity of the 172. With a larger cabin and payload, it can more comfortably seat four adults and luggage. Our aircraft has everything that is standard to training with a standard 6-pack flight instrument setup and dual digital nav/com radios. This aircraft is IFR equipped and has a 4-place Intercom.

Orange County Training Aircraft
At Fun Outside Aviation – Fullerton, California.

I hadn’t seen that yet not only was that insane, but ballsy brave mofos to yank that dude out.

Yes, ACAB, but those guys turned off being jackasses at the right time. ;-)

As far as I’m concerned having the stones to take on a train like that and win should get them free beer for life.

In the old Andy Griffith show Aunt Bea learned to fly at Whitman. It was supposed to be Mayberry of course. You can see the three red and white stacks in the background.
Aunt Bee's Big Moment
The Andy Griffith Show: Season 8: Episode 23

Southwest of there, in the Hollywood Hills, is the lake they used in the Andy Griffith show opening. Depending on the day The Andy Griffith Show or Combat was being filmed in the woods.

Combat starred Vic Morrow who was killed northwest of there, behind Magic Mountain, filming Twilight Zone The Movie when he was cut in two by a Huey.
I didn't know Aunt Bee ever learned to fly, I figured I must have seen every episode at some point but I guess not. The area Vic Morrow was killed in during the Twilight Zone filming was known as Indian Dunes, I used to ride dirt bikes there as a kid. It was also used for Baa Baa Black Sheep TV series as their "base" and they operated the Corsairs from there. Lots of TV and movie production took place there.

Back