SoCal Collision 1/9/2022

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
SoCal Collision 1/9/2022 Looks like a Cessna 172, clearly it‘s totaled.

The heavy appears to be okay.

Date:09-JAN-2022
Time:c. 14:10
Type:
Silhouette image of generic C172 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Cessna 172
Owner/operator:
MSN:
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Substantial
Location:near Whiteman Airport (WHP/KWHP), Los Angeles, CA -
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Landing
Nature:Private
Departure airport:Los Angeles-Whiteman Airport, CA (WHP/KWHP)
Destination airport:
Narrative:
Following a loss of engine power shortly after takeoff, the aircraft sustained substantial damage subsequent to impact with a railroad locomotive during the forced landing to railroad right-of-way terrain near Whiteman Airport (WHP/KWHP), Los Angeles, California.
The sole pilot onboard the single engine airplane received unspecified injuries.
There were no reported injuries on the ground.

Last edited:
KWHP is a treasure. There is no business aviation other than flight training and some helicopter ops that operates from there. It's just a single runway little airport in the middle of a huge expance of population with mostly private pilots that own their airplanes and would rather just be left alone. I soloed there, so my opinion is biased.

Dude just about got a big piece of aluminum to the noggin. Wonder why the people up by the track were so slow to clear off, maybe they'd just gotten the pilot out?

PS. Yes, upon review it certainly looks like they were dragging him away. If I'd watched this ten years from now I'd have said it was too perfect, must be CGI.

KWHP is a treasure. There is no business aviation other than flight training and some helicopter ops that operates from there. It's just a single runway little airport in the middle of a huge expance of population with mostly private pilots that own their airplanes and would rather just be left alone. I soloed there, so my opinion is biased.
Isn’t that the airport where Aunt Bea learned to fly?

1641783239585.jpeg

Dude just about got a big piece of aluminum to the noggin. Wonder why the people up by the track were so slow to clear off, maybe they'd just gotten the pilot out?

PS. Yes, upon review it certainly looks like they were dragging him away. If I'd watched this ten years from now I'd have said it was too perfect, must be CGI.
How about this body cam.

Not sure about the communication with the people that do train stuff, but it seems the cops had time to yellow tape the area.
Maybe the old gentleman was being left in place waiting for ambulance.
Then they realized no one stopped the trains. I dunno

Back