So I flew a Pilatus today...

c172captain

and I was wondering how I'm supposed to log this. I wasn't PIC (I'm not trying to log it as such, either) nor was I a required crewmember (which would disqualify me from logging SIC) and the other pilot, who was the PIC for the entirety of the flight, was not an instructor (so it wasn't dual received). I was sole manipulator of the controls, if that helps. Another instructor told me to just log it in my logbook and basically leave the three types of piloting time empty, those three mentioned above, and just fill in the total time box. Can I do this? Is there a better way of doing it? If I can't/shouldn't log this as any flight time, I'll more than likely simply put the date in the logbook and leave everything empty (hours and all) and just fill in what happened in the remarks section so that I can reminisce.

Thanks

Concur. Without the high-altitude endorsement, you weren't acting as PIC, but the sole manipulator rule covers logging it as PIC.

FAR 61.51

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in- command time only for that flight time during which that person --
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated;
(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or
(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.
(2) An airline transport pilot may log as pilot-in-command time all of the flight time while acting as pilot-in-command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate.
(3) An authorized instructor may log as pilot-in-command time all flight time while acting as an authorized instructor.
(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot --
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember;
(ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of this part; and (iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.

A high performance endorsement is not a rating. The PC-12 is a single-engine land airplane. You are rated, you may log PIC.

61.31 - has to do with the service ceiling, not the actual altitude flown at.

(g) Additional training required for operating pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitudes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (g)(3) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a pressurized aircraft (an aircraft that has a service ceiling or maximum operating altitude, whichever is lower, above 25,000 feet MSL), unless that person has received and logged ground training from an authorized instructor and obtained an endorsement in the person's logbook or training record from an authorized instructor who certifies the person has satisfactorily accomplished the ground training. The ground training must include at least the following subjects:

Yeah, I realized I was wrong after posting but didn't care enough to delete.
But on the other hand, he wasn't PIC just sole manipulator.

61.31 - has to do with the service ceiling, not the actual altitude flown at.

(g) Additional training required for operating pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitudes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (g)(3) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a pressurized aircraft (an aircraft that has a service ceiling or maximum operating altitude, whichever is lower, above 25,000 feet MSL), unless that person has received and logged ground training from an authorized instructor and obtained an endorsement in the person's logbook or training record from an authorized instructor who certifies the person has satisfactorily accomplished the ground training. The ground training must include at least the following subjects:
One word can make a difference.

trust me, i understand. but the question posed was "What does a high altitude endorsement have to do with anything? "

My response was answering why this would be part of the discussion. It had already been established as to how the pilot could log but not act as PIC. 61.31 further emphasizes why that is the case.

Thank you, come again. ;)

and I was wondering how I'm supposed to log this. I wasn't PIC (I'm not trying to log it as such, either) nor was I a required crewmember (which would disqualify me from logging SIC) and the other pilot, who was the PIC for the entirety of the flight, was not an instructor (so it wasn't dual received). I was sole manipulator of the controls, if that helps. Another instructor told me to just log it in my logbook and basically leave the three types of piloting time empty, those three mentioned above, and just fill in the total time box. Can I do this? Is there a better way of doing it? If I can't/shouldn't log this as any flight time, I'll more than likely simply put the date in the logbook and leave everything empty (hours and all) and just fill in what happened in the remarks section so that I can reminisce.

Thanks

Was it turbine engine? Watch that one. Type rating requirements for turbine engine equipment may apply.

Was it turbine engine? Watch that one. Type rating requirements for turbine engine equipment may apply.

Thats turbojet not turbine. I'm not aware of any single engine turboprop that needs a type. I know there is probably one out there but I don't believe the PC-12 is one.

PC-12 Does not require a type rating, or in the eyes of the FAA, and formal training for that matter. It's an Airplane-Single Engine Land (Complex/High Performance). No different than a Bonanza.

Back