So I flew a Pilatus today...

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person—
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;

The key word there is OR (not and). You are rated for the plane, Once again though, The couple hours won't matter in the grand scheme of things and the story is a good one for an interview, logged or not. If you log it, noone will tell you it is blatently illegal, but they will see it for what it is, a cool flight.

Log it as PIC. If you want an aviation job later, just ask them what they consider to be PIC, it probably won't count for that, so don't include it in your "acting PIC" total.

Log it as PIC. If you want an aviation job later, just ask them what they consider to be PIC, it probably won't count for that, so don't include it in your "acting PIC" total.

You can log it and use it as PIC. I can't see why everyone is arguing this still, see my post #28 on this forum. If you are rated to fly that aircraft, endorsements don't matter, then you can log it.

Ralgha, this wasn't directed just at you, but at everyone still arguing that you can't actually log this. You can and should.

Just so I am not left out, the keyword is OR!!!! :)

I don't see what the argument is still about :) I flew it like 2 months ago and PUT THE .4 THAT I ACTUALLY FLEW in my logbook and the rest of the flight was put into the remarks section. Nuff said whether it was right or wrong

I don't see what the argument is still about :) I flew it like 2 months ago and PUT THE .4 THAT I ACTUALLY FLEW in my logbook and the rest of the flight was put into the remarks section. Nuff said whether it was right or wrong

Anyone who would take issue with that is either a total prick, or doesn't know what they are talking about.

Anyone who would take issue with that is either a total prick, or doesn't know what they are talking about.

:clap:

I figure that is anyone doesn't go "Oh, cool! How'd you get into a Pilatus?" or is willing to give me a hard time about .4 isn't worth much in my book

I

If I were reviewing your logbook and I saw pilatus PIC time I'd be sure to ask you a couple questions about the systems (especially if you don't have any other pilatus time or any comparable high performance/high altitude aircraft time). If you didn't know anything it would definitely raise an eyebrow. You are what the industry calls a "gear-up, sonny". Basicly you sit right seat (maybe for insurance reasons) and the captain/PIC tells you "gear up" and thats about the extent of your responsibilities.

You had a fun flight in a pilatus. Log it as such...

Seriously??!!

So the first time I flew the King Air and was sole manipulator of the controls I should not of logged it as PIC? Even though I was a "gear-up, sonny" (gay term btw)?

Do we need to all go to initial training before logging PIC? The feds dont give a about initial training.

Im sorry if I am being a little rude but I hate these stupid aviation rumors like " If you dont know the system, then you better not log that as PIC justincase you get asked about it on the interview."

You worked hard for your ASEL rating, log away!!

Next you're going to tell me that a Private pilots cert is really just a "license to learn", or that you should never let a fed handle your license because then you are giving him the right to take it away.

we are not special.

Im sorry if I am being a little rude but I hate these stupid aviation rumors like " If you dont know the system, then you better not log that as PIC justincase you get asked about it on the interview."

Ya, god for bid you don't know how the pressurization system works in the PC-12 you have 0.4 hours in!!!! You better study it buddy or you will never get a job in this industry. :sarcasm:

Seriously??!!

So the first time I flew the King Air and was sole manipulator of the controls I should not of logged it as PIC? Even though I was a "gear-up, sonny" (gay term btw)?

Do we need to all go to initial training before logging PIC? The feds dont give a about initial training.

You worked hard for your ASEL rating, log away!!

Next you're going to tell me that a Private pilots cert is really just a "license to learn", or that you should never let a fed handle your license because then you are giving him the right to take it away.

we are not special.
Thank you for bringing some perspective to the discussion.

I'd think that it'd be pretty easy to explain in an interview, "oh, I logged this hour because I am legally allowed to. If you want to ask me questions about systems, I have 200 hours dual given in the DA42 so ask away."

My impression is that if an airline DOESN'T want to count that time, they have their own flight time matrix you fill out when you do the application.

Back