Small-sized luggage

That guy?

I don’t know, how about follow the FOM when it says jumpseats are not for bag stowage.

Not to mention, it’s the a place FAs can sit during a rest room break and just chill for 3-5 minutes during break.

The world doesn’t have to revolve around your bag.

It’s not my business, but I am this —-><—- close from just outright saying “if it doesn’t fit under the cubby, maybe, pack less chit?”

95% of the time I fly with both bags under the jumpseat in their cubby.
Look man, I stow my bag under the jump seat. I’m just saying if you start off a trip telling people where to put their bag you’re likely closing off communication with your FOs. There are lots of captains who do this so I don’t know what to tell you. Who cares what people bring with them. Just seems like a silly fight to pick but that’s just me.

Look man, I stow my bag under the jump seat. I’m just saying if you start off a trip telling people where to put their bag you’re likely closing off communication with your FOs. There are lots of captains who do this so I don’t know what to tell you. Who cares what people bring with them. Just seems like a silly fight to pick but that’s just me.

Well don’t put the CA in that position. Yes, it has to be said in the beginning. I find it annoying when I show up and there’s already a big ass bag up in the 2nd JS.

Man who almost exclusively does day trips is judging dudes who are probably commuting to 6 days of reserve.

…man who is now able to do day trips. I was junior like everyone else once and did 4 day trips before. My bags were not thick to the point they couldn’t fit under the cubby.

Give me the avg pilot bag. I bet you I could toss half your chit out and still give you enough for 4 days. There’s wants, and then there’s needs.

I found it hilarious for the union putting out comms for Mexico overnights and declaring stuff during customs. Apparently, pilots bringing stuff like guitars were being harassed about custom duty on said items they owned.

How about, keep your guitar for home use? No one in the flight deck wants to hear it. And your hotel room neighbors don’t want to hear it either.

You do you man. You’re gonna die young getting worked up about the little things.

I don’t get worked over it anymore.

It’s a simple request to move it under the cubby, or into the first class overhead bin.

Am I literally arguing why someone should have to follow what the FOM says? What other rules should be broken for your convenience?

I don’t get worked over it anymore.

It’s a simple request to move it under the cubby, or into the first class overhead bin.

Am I literally arguing why someone should have to follow what the FOM says? What other rules should be broken for your convenience?
lol man. Like I said, you do you.

I carried extra uniform pieces for maybe the first year. Never needed them. 10 years in I've still survived.
I used to do this, then looking back I'm surprised how gutsy I was about it. Last year I swiped my coffee off the tray table and all over the front of my shirt right before push. I've also seen a guy catch the side of his pants on something on the cockpit door and rip the side of his pants big enough where you could see his boxers/thigh. So yeah... I decided not to play that roulette game anymore.

I used to do this, then looking back I'm surprised how gutsy I was about it. Last year I swiped my coffee off the tray table and all over the front of my shirt right before push. I've also seen a guy catch the side of his pants on something on the cockpit door and rip the side of his pants big enough where you could see his boxers/thigh. So yeah... I decided not to play that roulette game anymore.
I like to live………. dangerously

So I love my Stealth 22. If I'm going to be on the road commuting, or for a four-day (or five-day), it's great.

But I commute on motorcycle, and I'm thinking of picking up a smaller luggage that is easier to strap to the back seat. (I have a top case and side cases for my flight bags :)

At the moment I'm avoiding my LW and carrying everything in a giant Contrail flight bag that weighs about 45lbs on a single shoulder. I've looked at the Luggageworks Aurora 14" and the TravelPro rolling overnighter series, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with the smaller-sized rollers?

TIA 🦈💜
Ok... I have a question:

When you say "commute" and "motorcycle" as, respectively, the verb and prepositional object noun in your sentence, I just have to ask...

How "long" is your "commute"?

Last edited:

I'll say this. I never brought another uniform with me on my Navy boat deployments/underway periods, aside from my flight suits. If I had crashed a plane, gotten in big trouble, or if we had some sort of special event, I would certainly have needed something else (i.e. the khaki penalty/standing before the long table outfit). Never lost that bet. I'll take my chances. Also I know it bothers Cherokee :)

Are you open to a backpack style bag? I love my Osprey Porter 46L. I've used it for bouncing around Europe for two weeks as well as quick overnights.

Jealous of the bike…sold my crotch rocket when I got more “safety conscious” and miss it everyday. Used a cheap big backpack when I used to commute for day turns on it. So not much help.
Backpacks are expressly verboten. They were my go to for commuting for years.

Are you open to a backpack style bag? I love my Osprey Porter 46L. I've used it for bouncing around Europe for two weeks as well as quick overnights.
Our policy manual ... er, *cough* ... our "CBA" ... defines backpacks as something specifically not allowed.

I think my actual hiking pack is an osprey though.

I’m finding more and more FOs with overpacked bags on the 737 that can’t fit under the jumpseat cubby where they belong. And they strap it on the 2nd jumpseat like that’s a normal thing.

Sadly, the 737 operators have pretty much universally declined to hire me, so my bag goes in the economy overhead bin in the back with the rest of My Kind(tm).

Back